Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Insersts are far more interesting than slipcovers.

indiephantom
12-22-09, 05:57 PM
I love a great insert. Anchor Bay used to include original artwork posters on all their releases and those were great.

MGM often had great little booklets with pictures and information.

That wonderful documentary Z Channel had a terrific booklet with reproductions of Z channel program guides.

I'm always really happy when I get a cool insert, even if it's just artwork with chapter stops.

Slip-covers just don't excite me. Often they're ripped or damaged and just feature identical duplicates to the actual cover art. Some of the lenticulars can be nice, but I remember more than a few that were hard to remove (T2 Extreme comes to mind).

What are some other opinions?

philip74
12-22-09, 06:04 PM
What are some other opinions?

well quite different as yours: i love slipsleeves and find that some are done
so well, shiny and embossed that they are almost qualify as small art pieces :)
then again i don`t mind nice inserts either :)

hindolio
12-23-09, 03:00 AM
ill take anything i can get. its just so sad to open a case and see a silver disk, black type, and a blank space on the left side :(

xage
12-23-09, 10:07 AM
Most Anime Titles carry this type of lavishness

One example of my all time favorite inserts is Trinity Blood

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/TB01.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/TB02.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/TB03.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/trinityblood.jpg

reverie
12-23-09, 10:25 AM
I'd much rather have an insert than a slipcover. Slipcovers are nice and all, but the insert is the more practical and useful of the two.

jjcool
12-23-09, 04:37 PM
I agree that inserts are worth much more than slipcovers. 9 out of 10 slipcovers are just a rehash of teh cover art, and dont add any benefit to the title.

MrSmearkase
12-23-09, 04:41 PM
/\ Agreed.

I often don't need to refer to chapter selections, but it is nice when they are included inside the case.

Skyclad01
12-23-09, 08:58 PM
Most Anime Titles carry this type of lavishness

One example of my all time favorite inserts is Trinity Blood

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/TB02.jpg

If im not mistaken, wouldn't that be considered a booklet, and not an insert?

Sub-Zero
12-24-09, 03:48 AM
Considering that the majority of inserts are simply the cover art with chapter stops (if that), I tend to find slipcovers, which can range from metal (T2 Extreme DVD) to clear plastic (Saw) to cardboard, and can be embossed, have a lenticular cover, or holographic foil, among other things, much more interesting than inserts.

Skyclad01
12-24-09, 05:00 AM
^^ Totally agree!

Trevor
12-28-09, 11:42 AM
I'd rather have a quality insert/booklet over any type of slipcase/steelbook.

While I like packaging, and go out of my way for slipcases, I'm slowly getting to the point where i may (gasp) throw away all the packaging and just keep the discs on most titles. I'll keep the steelbooks and really cool packages of course.

But I love the informative inserts like most of Criterion's, and always read them after watching a film.

Josh-da-man
12-28-09, 12:58 PM
I don't get the fascination with slipcovers, either.

They're just flimsy little cardboard sleeves, in most cases with a window cut out of the back, that are tend to get the shit beat out of them on store shelves.

I don't generally keep them on my discs; it's just another annoying step to getting at the DVD/BR I want to watch. I'll generally keep them hidden away somewhere in my house, but I've also tossed a few that were ratty looking.

The nicer ones, that might have a lenticular cover, or the clear plastic ones from the Saw films, I'll hang onto.

JackBurton
12-28-09, 01:09 PM
I agree w/ the OP. Slipcovers are pretty much useless to me. I'd take an insert with original artwork or an informative booklet over a slipcover any day of the week.

danwiz
12-28-09, 05:30 PM
Must agree - and slipcovers just add thickness to a set of shelves which is already too full while inserts take up no additional space at all! While I have never referred to the chapter lists which used to be common, I'd rather have just that than a slipcover. Opening a DVD with nothing at all inside it is rather offensive - all of that space (14 mm) and nothing but a 1mm thick disc!

Trevor
12-28-09, 05:41 PM
Must agree - and slipcovers just add thickness to a set of shelves which is already too full while inserts take up no additional space at all! Opening a DVD with nothing at all inside it is rather offensive - all of that space (14 mm) and nothing but a 1mm thick disc!
This is why I'm converting everything to 5mm and 7mm cases!

reverie
12-29-09, 11:20 AM
Maybe this could have been a poll over which you prefer more. :)

danwiz
12-29-09, 01:57 PM
Trevor: my collection is pretty much all converted to 7 mm ThinPaks, but last night I found some trilogy artwork - specifically for the Ocean's 11, 12 & 13 Trilogy, Once Upon A Time In China Trilogy, Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy, Bourne Trilogy and Mad Max Trilogy. Now I can convert the three 7 mm cases for each trilogy into a single 14 mm case, saving 35 mm of shelf space. (7mm x 3 discs x 5 trilogy sets original size with Thinpaks to 14mm x 5 trilogy sets.) Thought that this might interest you. For another idea see page 2 of my old thread here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/552957-how-many-people-converting-their-collection-thinpaks-2.html

hasslein
12-31-09, 12:27 AM
It's hard to pick one over the other, but I was very happy with the Sword & The Sorcerer poster insert (not the cover art) and also Fox's lobby card repros...