TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CBS and Walt Disney may join Apple TV venture: report

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CBS and Walt Disney may join Apple TV venture: report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091222/tv_nm/us_apple

Tue Dec 22, 8:49 am ET

(Reuters) – Apple's plan of offering television subscription via the Internet might receive a boost with U.S. media companies CBS and Walt Disney's probable participation in the venture, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The planned subscription service by Apple may offer television shows from major networks for a monthly fee, which could significantly alter the television business, the paper said, citing people familiar with the matter.

Apple is aiming to complete licensing deals and expects to introduce the subscription service in 2010, the paper said.

The video strategy is part of Apple's plan to overhaul its iTunes store, which sells downloadable music, video and games, the paper said.

Apple, CBS Corp and Disney were not available for comment.

(Reporting by Sakthi Prasad in Bangalore; Editing by Dan Lalor)
I can see the cable companies, AT&T U-Verse, Directv & Dish vigorously fighting this.

I need more information on how this will work. Is this video on demand and/or can you dvr shows on your computer hard drive? But if anyone can pull this off, it would be Apple.

Chris
Old 12-22-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: CBS and Walt Disney may join Apple TV venture: report

Sounds awesome. If anything it might force cable companies to drop this "10 channels I watch and 60 I don't watch for $70 bullshit."
Old 12-22-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sounds awesome. If anything it might force cable companies to drop this "10 channels I watch and 60 I don't watch for $70 bullshit."
You don't want a la carte cable. It won't save you money.
Old 12-22-09, 01:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You don't want a la carte cable. It won't save you money.
If I only watch 10 channel's why not? I typically pay $65 for a bunch of crap. I guess if they make every channel $5 a month it wouldn't be a 'value', but I can get the 5 basic for free OTA.
Old 12-22-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If I only watch 10 channel's why not? I typically pay $65 for a bunch of crap. I guess if they make every channel $5 a month it wouldn't be a 'value', but I can get the 5 basic for free OTA.
The channels that people actually watch cost the cable company more than $5/month.
Old 12-22-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The channels that people actually watch cost the cable company more than $5/month.

Do you have a source on this? The only thing I've regularly seen any figures on is ESPN. I'd be interested to know what other channels cost companies (e.g. FLN, Food Network, etc.).

As for the OP, my assumption is that you'd gain access to download shows from a network for $x/month. This would be in line with what is already carried through iTunes.

I really don't like the idea of this though. I don't want to spend money on the already low-resolution and sound quality of iTunes content, so I certainly wouldn't wait to pay for it even if it was 'rental' (x days to watch, or x times to watch) or a purchase.

I'd much rather see Apple work with the providers to gain access to their free content. If you get the Fox.com, ABC.com, etc. content (free) onto the Apple TV I think you'd see more adoption. You could easily make money through advertising. Unfortunately I do not expect to see this since it is counter to the iTunes model.
Old 12-22-09, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Do you have a source on this? The only thing I've regularly seen any figures on is ESPN. I'd be interested to know what other channels cost companies (e.g. FLN, Food Network, etc.).

As for the OP, my assumption is that you'd gain access to download shows from a network for $x/month. This would be in line with what is already carried through iTunes.

I really don't like the idea of this though. I don't want to spend money on the already low-resolution and sound quality of iTunes content, so I certainly wouldn't wait to pay for it even if it was 'rental' (x days to watch, or x times to watch) or a purchase.

I'd much rather see Apple work with the providers to gain access to their free content. If you get the Fox.com, ABC.com, etc. content (free) onto the Apple TV I think you'd see more adoption. You could easily make money through advertising. Unfortunately I do not expect to see this since it is counter to the iTunes model.
Same as I've read before.

Example: Nickelodeon costs $20 but NickToo, NickThree and 3 other Viacom channels are only $1 each. But the more a cable provider buys, the cheaper the more desirable channels are. But who cares about NickThree? Who would ala-carte that? At least that's how I've read it was.