Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BestBuy These Days

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BestBuy These Days

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 01:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BestBuy These Days

I notice that after Circuit City went down, Best Buy's prices are consistently high. I don't even want to go into that store these days. Anyone else feels the same?
Old 12-19-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: BestBuy These Days

I don't shop there for this reason:

Can I help you? Do you need some help? Are you finding everything ok today? Is there anything I can help you find? Do you need help? What are you looking for today? Do you want an extended warranty on that $20 flash drive? Do you want to put that on your reward zone card?
Old 12-19-09, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I know I do. It doesn't seem like they have as good of sales as years before. A lot of people were afraid this would happen once CC closed.
Old 12-19-09, 09:38 PM

I've got about $300 bucks in BB gift cert from February this year and have yet to use them. Just don't like to give them the business for the high prices.
Old 12-19-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Genius. They already GOT the business (they have the $300 in real dollars already). You not using the gift certificates just means they got $300 for free, without having to give out any merchandise. Nothing like "principles" to make people do stupid things.
Old 12-19-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
^ Genius. They already GOT the business (they have the $300 in real dollars already). You not using the gift certificates just means they got $300 for free, without having to give out any merchandise. Nothing like "principles" to make people do stupid things.
Old 12-20-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

im not trying to stir too much commotion here, but ive seen a significant number of posts regarding this notion for quite some time without substantiation. so i guess ill chime in in disagrement. from my limited business with bestbuy and circuit city and in my geographic perspective, i dont see any negligible difference since cc closed in bestbuys pricing or service.

there are good sales, sucky sales, horrible regular pricing, awful customer service experiences, and so on and so on, on any given day at any individual store within any corporation.

ill gladly retract my statements above if different people are able to reasonable proof that bestbuy sucks any more than they used to
Old 12-20-09, 01:05 AM

One thing I've noticed (YMMV, but didn't work for me) is the 10% off coupon you get in the mail. Used to be off regular or sales prices. Now it's only off regular prices only.
Old 12-20-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vhgong
I've got about $300 bucks in BB gift cert from February this year and have yet to use them. Just don't like to give them the business for the high prices.
You can send them to me, I'll use them. Good towards a TV or laptop...wooo!

But truthfully, the only reason I ever shopped at BB was for movies and music, and now I can't justify buying that stuff there because I know I can (generally) get a better deal for that stuff on Amazon. Never mind that Amazon usually has the CD's & movies I'm looking for in stock (or for sale used).
Old 12-20-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I don't shop there for this reason:

Can I help you? Do you need some help? Are you finding everything ok today? Is there anything I can help you find? Do you need help? What are you looking for today? Do you want an extended warranty on that $20 flash drive? Do you want to put that on your reward zone card?
99% of the survey complaints I deal with at Best Buy are because the customer was never contacted or was not told about the RZ card. Sounds like the customer service is top notch at your Best Buy store.
Old 12-20-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just use in-store pickup since the website tends to be more competitive. Of course some stores treat in-store pickup customers like pariahs in my experience, probably because they don't get credit for the sale (I'd bet the site does in those cases).
Old 12-20-09, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato
Nope, don't mean i am not going to use it, i just don't see a good deal i want yet.
Old 12-20-09, 09:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I think the deals are the same as before CC went under.
Old 12-20-09, 10:16 AM

Nope, don't mean i am not going to use it, i just don't see a good deal i want yet.

They actually don't care if you come into the store and use their gift cards.. They are actually making more money on you NOT coming into the store and using them.

You should be looking for the best deal possible.. but saying they aren't getting business by you not using your gift cards is asinine.
Old 12-20-09, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
They actually don't care if you come into the store and use their gift cards.. They are actually making more money on you NOT coming into the store and using them.

You should be looking for the best deal possible.. but saying they aren't getting business by you not using your gift cards is asinine.
So what would you buy if you had $300 GCs from BB?

Last edited by vhgong; 12-20-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 01:29 PM

So what would you buy if you had $300 GCs from BB?
A PS3!! Wooo!!! .. You're not losing $ so its no skin off your back and you don't have to be in a hurry to spend them. I'm just saying that they already have the $ that was spent to buy the giftcards, and they are making interest on that $ until they sell stock from the store.
Old 12-20-09, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
A PS3!! Wooo!!! .. You're not losing $ so its no skin off your back and you don't have to be in a hurry to spend them. I'm just saying that they already have the $ that was spent to buy the giftcards, and they are making interest on that $ until they sell stock from the store.
Thats my problem, i already owned those items.
Got my consoles, ipods, LCD TV's and such. Maybe i'll hold on to them for a Apple tablet if it comes out next year. Hope you get your PS3 soon. Its a sweet console.
Old 12-20-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hindolio
im not trying to stir too much commotion here, but ive seen a significant number of posts regarding this notion for quite some time without substantiation. so i guess ill chime in in disagrement. from my limited business with bestbuy and circuit city and in my geographic perspective, i dont see any negligible difference since cc closed in bestbuys pricing or service.

there are good sales, sucky sales, horrible regular pricing, awful customer service experiences, and so on and so on, on any given day at any individual store within any corporation.

ill gladly retract my statements above if different people are able to reasonable proof that bestbuy sucks any more than they used to
Agreed.
Old 12-20-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I just use in-store pickup since the website tends to be more competitive. Of course some stores treat in-store pickup customers like pariahs in my experience, probably because they don't get credit for the sale (I'd bet the site does in those cases).
And they cant even get it right most of the time.
Old 12-20-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
99% of the survey complaints I deal with at Best Buy are because the customer was never contacted or was not told about the RZ card. Sounds like the customer service is top notch at your Best Buy store.
Yep, people will either complain about being approached too much or not at all. There's no middle ground.
Old 12-20-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I don't buy too much at BB anymore, but I shop their ads and such. I don't see too much price differentiation between them and any of the other retailers.
Old 12-20-09, 05:05 PM

It's about the same. Amazon is just cheaper now.
Old 12-20-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
+1

Anyone who complains about stuff like that probably hasn't worked a day of retail in their life. Most workers don't like having to approach everyone they come in eye contact with, but it's part of the job and part of the service in the store.

Sure you may know where everything is and what you want, but that doesn't account for everyone who comes into the store.

Honestly, I'd rather actually see people around to help rather than having to go find someone if I need something. How many times have I read on these forums at places like Wal-Mart or Borders who lock their BD's behind cases and all the complaining it takes to find someone to open them? With tons of employees around helping, it makes it all the less painful.
Old 12-20-09, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hindolio

I don't know if you are even old enough to remember that when CC was around, prices of newly released games(PC and console) on the first week, was almost always way below their MSRP, sometimes with extra's thrown in. Not this case anymore. Most new releases are MSRP price these days unless you get it from online store.
Old 12-20-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The prices are fine... just wait for the deals.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.