Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone get frustrated with certain games genres?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-18-09, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been playing video games for many years, and I just purchased a PS3. I can always play the sports games (Madden, NHL, Tiger Woods Golf, and NBA Live, etc). But I have gotten to the point where I don't have the patience to play action/1st person shooter/RPG games anymore.

Even though they are very cool games these days, it just seems like they are too much anymore to finish, so I realized I am going to stick with just the sports games that I can do a season or play against friends.

Anyone else feel this way about certain video game genres?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-09, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does anyone get frustrated with certain games genres?

Originally Posted by coli
I have been playing video games for many years, and I just purchased a PS3. I can always play the sports games (Madden, NHL, Tiger Woods Golf, and NBA Live, etc). But I have gotten to the point where I don't have the patience to play action/1st person shooter/RPG games anymore.

Even though they are very cool games these days, it just seems like they are too much anymore to finish, so I realized I am going to stick with just the sports games that I can do a season or play against friends.

Anyone else feel this way about certain video game genres?

Thanks.
Funny, I'm pretty much that way with Sports games.

I played Madden 08 with my son a good bit, but before that I couldn't stand sports games, and for some reason when he got Madden 09, I couldn't get into playing it at all.

I will say that I played COD:MW and MW2 campaigns and thought they were awesome, but almost a little too much going on to keep up with. Seems Halo stuff is more my speed.
Old 12-18-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sports games nowadays are too complicated for my taste. They were "just right" in the SNES/Genesis days. Say, NHL '95, etc.

Driving simulators I cannot stand. Real racing depends on a lot of tactile feedback and you just don't have that in a game. If the process is going to be so removed from reality, remove it enough to make it fun (like Burnout).

FPSs don't frustrate me but they all seem to be the same. I always download demos for the new hyped FPS and they are always dull as a rock.
Old 12-18-09, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are called "platform" games, the run/jump type of things. I find they are usually too sensitive about edges and angles and I usually end up falling off and dying which frustrates me. I also agree w/ The Bus about driving simulators, although I've found steering wheel controllers help a bit as compared to the usual controllers.
Old 12-18-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sports games nowadays are too complicated for my taste. They were "just right" in the SNES/Genesis days. Say, NHL '95, etc.

Driving simulators I cannot stand. Real racing depends on a lot of tactile feedback and you just don't have that in a game. If the process is going to be so removed from reality, remove it enough to make it fun (like Burnout).

FPSs don't frustrate me but they all seem to be the same. I always download demos for the new hyped FPS and they are always dull as a rock.
I agree with you 100% here. I used to love sports games (Tecmo Bowl, Blades of Steel, Joe Montana Sports Talk, NBA Jam...etc) back in the 8 and 16 bit days, but the general move to simulation has killed that genre for me. Even the "arcadey" sports games seem to have lost a lot of flare for me. The last sports game I was able to really get into was NBA Street Vol. 2.

Same with driving sims. I drank the kool-aid hard on Gran Turismo. I think the technical achievements of that game were enough for me, at the time, to have a good time with it. Now, if it isn't Burnout (or Burnout like), I'm not interested. I've given some of the sim racers that are out there a try, but they just fail to captivate me.

Shooters can be fun, and I don't dislike them all, but it does feel like 90% of them are just unimaginative and boring. I find that I can get into a shooter here and there, but it's a genre that doesn't naturally interest me. It does help my enjoyment if a shooter is in third person though. I don't know why, but I just prefer being able to see the guy/gal running around.
Old 12-18-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GTA ruined racing games for me. Used to be my favorite genre - Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Sega Rally, NFS, Sega GT... but since the Grand Theft Auto games, regular racing just seems boring.
Old 12-18-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I hate racing games. I hate when I have to race in non-racing games to finish an objective or level.

The complexity of sports games can be annoying but if you are a big fan of the sport, it can be very rewarding. I love how deep MLB The Show, but I wish I had a less complicated NFL game. Of course that's because I don't know all the football situations the way I do baseball.
Old 12-18-09, 09:39 AM

I realized recently that I have yet to really get into a FPS on a console. I've tried but I guess console controllers don't cut it for me for that genre. I suppose I will keep trying though because I am definitely not going back to playing on a computer.

I think the closest I ever came was Goldeneye with the dual controller setup. That was pretty decent.
Old 12-18-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn based RPGs. I just can't get into them. Hack n Slash is more my style.
Old 12-18-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think sports games are better then ever

I've lost my patience for Japanese RPG's. Most games result in too much grinding which becomes more of a chore. Long hours != gameplay. I've found a much more enjoyable experience with American RPG's lately like Mass Effect, Fallout, Fable, and Dragon Age.
Old 12-18-09, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't get fighting games. Only ones I will play are the Super Smash Brothers series because those add platforming and other fun elements.
Old 12-18-09, 12:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

The only Sports Games I can get into are the Hockey ones, and even those have gotten a little too advanced for my liking.

As with others here, I find the Burnout games are the only racing games worth playing. No other racing games have been of interest to me.

Here's a genre not yet mentioned (I think...):
Real-Time Strategy. I was a huge fan of the first Command & Conquer and Red Alert, but I now find that type of game extremely frustrating.
Old 12-18-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Here's a genre not yet mentioned (I think...):
Real-Time Strategy. I was a huge fan of the first Command & Conquer and Red Alert, but I now find that type of game extremely frustrating.
It's ok, Starcraft 2 will make it fun again
Old 12-18-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Not really a genre so much but I'm just not a fan of long games anymore. The appeal of a "hundred hour RPG" has gone from being an awesome prospect to a near immediate pass.
Old 12-18-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not really a genre so much but I'm just not a fan of long games anymore. The appeal of a "hundred hour RPG" has gone from being an awesome prospect to a near immediate pass.
I agree. Once I reach the 10-12 hour mark, I start getting antsy to play something else.

As much as Dragon Age is calling to me, that's the reason it's still sitting on the shelf.
Old 12-18-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Turn based RPGs. I just can't get into them. Hack n Slash is more my style.
Old 12-18-09, 02:37 PM

Personally I've always had a problem with most survival-horror style games. The constant suspense of always being borderline out of ammo or health adds just a little more stress than I like. It's weird, because I don't really notice it while I'm playing, I notice it between sessions. It's like I have to really pump myself up to continue the game, not because I don't like the game itself, but more because it takes so much out of me every time I play. Resident Evil, Silent Hill and others have always been this way for me for some reason. I'm running into the same problem currently, although to a lesser extent, with Dead Space. I love the game itself, but I feel wiped out after every session.

That said, I have a ton of respect for how much balancing and testing has to go into such a game to keep everything at the right level.
Old 12-18-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
GTA ruined racing games for me. Used to be my favorite genre - Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Sega Rally, NFS, Sega GT... but since the Grand Theft Auto games, regular racing just seems boring.
I'm surprised the GTA games ruined racing games for you, they are terrible driving games IMO. But if it did make driving games boring, you should check out Burnout. I'm not a huge racing fan, but you don't need to be to enjoy Burnout.
Old 12-18-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Driving simulators I cannot stand
+1... just don't get into them. Sports games used to be my thing but the more sophisticated they become the more I'm turned off to them. Plus it usually seems that the AI can still be exploited and that takes some fun away.
Old 12-18-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like others have mentioned, I don't dig driving simulators. Give me Burnout over Gran Turismo any day. I'm also not usually big on "realistic" shooters, which I think is why I've never gotten into any of the COD games. I guess you could say I'm not really that big on "realism" in games overall.

I also haven't played any sports or fighting games in years. Not because of any sort of frustration with the genres themselves, just a complete lack of interest.

Originally Posted by murray731
Personally I've always had a problem with most survival-horror style games. The constant suspense of always being borderline out of ammo or health adds just a little more stress than I like. It's weird, because I don't really notice it while I'm playing, I notice it between sessions.
I love survival horror games, but I run into this problem everytime I play one through the first time (this goes as far back as the first RE). It usually ends up that the first time through stresses me out, but after that first playthrough every time I play I have a lot more fun with it.

Last edited by FatTony; 12-18-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 04:22 PM

To balance out those lambasting the racing genre:

Forza Motorsport 3 is one of the best games of 2009 IMO, and way more fun than any GTA game ever. I'm not a mega racing fan either, it's just an awesome game.
Old 12-18-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fighting games, and for some reason I have all of them, or most of them, in the Xbox 360.

DOA4, Virtual Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc.
Old 12-18-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after downloading and playing the GT5 demo last night it made me realize how much I dislike racing games
... I'd much rather play a Wipeout HD
Old 12-18-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I was not a fan of RPG gaming until "KOTOR"; I mean it really changed my perception of the genre. But admittedly, even then I didn't really get hardcore into the genre. The funny thing is that the same company that made "KOTOR", Bioware, is pretty much the same company that's making me hate RPG gaming again thanks to the turd that is "Mass Effect". "Red Faction" is another turd of a game that has burned me out on RPG type gaming.

The long stretches of traveling from A to B only to have a minute or two of action, checking locked boxes to get the SAME FUCKiN' items over and over, driving crappy vehicles, buying and selling items, and pressing my way through boring dialogue trees has really got me down.

Old 12-18-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I'll agree with the horror genre. I don't mind a good fright, but it seems counter-intuitive to have zombies charging at you, giving you guns but basically encouraging you to run away rather than wasting your precious ammo. I'll take L4D and their liberal scattering of ammo any day, thank you.

A sub-genre that really bothers me is stealth sections in FPS games. Thankfully, that gameplay mechanic is largely out of favor now. It used to drive me nuts to not have a good grasp of my character's location in space and getting killed because I was visible to a baddie without knowing it. Batman Arkham Asylum shows how fun stealth gameplay can be when done the right way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.