Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

ebay question

Old 12-16-09, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay question

Hi, guys, I´ve got a question to ask you all. Maybe you have experience in this things.
I sold a dvd on ebay (planet of the apes ultimate collection) and the buyer opened a case saying that this is not the edition that i promised (which it is). Of course, i have no way of showing them that I sent them the correct edition. Can they take the money back from my paypal?

Help!
Thanks!
Old 12-16-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ebay question

Why don't you insist they return it and when you get it, give them a refund? Yes, Paypal can hold the funds and can take it away.
Old 12-16-09, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Follow Big Whoppa's advice.

Though, I'd love to know what was 'wrong' about it. Usually the buyer is an idiot.
Old 12-16-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was probably missing the Gir figure.
Old 12-16-09, 08:15 PM

I used the money in other dvds... i cant give him the refund.

How can ebay verify that my product is the correct one?? Its his word against mine.
Old 12-16-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly, I doubt ebay can verify and probably won't. Best bet is to get your movies back (unopened hopefully) and sell it to someone else.
Old 12-17-09, 05:23 AM
Banned

Oh, dude... You're about to get a lesson in why you should never sell anything on Ebay.

You are screwed. The buyer can do anything they want. PayPal is going to side with the buyer. That's just the way it is now. Hell, the buyer can keep the item, mail you back an empty box (with proof that they mailed it), and as far as PayPal is concerned you got your item back so they'll give the buyer their money back. And on top of that, the buyer can give you negative feedback and you can ONLY leave them positive feedback.

Come to think of it... Avoid Ebay.

Last edited by CreamyGoodness; 12-17-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Oh, dude... You're about to get a lesson in why you should never sell anything on Ebay.

You are screwed. The buyer can do anything they want. PayPal is going to side with the buyer. That's just the way it is now. Hell, the buyer can keep the item, mail you back an empty box (with proof that they mailed it), and as far as PayPal is concerned you got your item back so they'll give the buyer their money back. And on top of that, the buyer can give you negative feedback and you can ONLY leave them positive feedback.

Oh, men! Please, i dont want that to happen.
Ill let you know guys how this story ends.
Old 12-18-09, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness

Unfortuantely this is an accurate statement.
Old 12-18-09, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, CreamyGoodness is completely accurate. I got screwed before on a DVD I sold on eBay or Half.com, whichever. It was in perfect condition when I shipped it and the buyer claimed it was all beat up. They file a claim, and I get docked for the money. This guy had numerous issues similar to this one previously yet eBay continues to side with him. Meanwhile, I've never had anyone make such a claim against me but eBay doesn't seem to take that into consideration. It was complete bull$hit and totally p!ssed me off for several days, but you have to move on at some point. I sent eBay a few e-mails pointing out how this buyer had claimed this same thing numerous times with other sellers but they just kept sending me some form response e-mail blah blah blah. I still use Half.com out of convenience but just hope it's an honest buyer that I am sending an item to. The most unbelievable part about this whole siding-with-the-buyer philosophy (at least to me) is that the buyer isn't the one paying commission to eBay on the sale; it's coming from the seller's pocket. It would seem, then, that they would side more with the seller, but this isn't the case. Baffling.

Last edited by RoadToPerdition; 12-18-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I, too, will be surprised if this works out well for the OP, but I'm rooting for him. It's sad to recall a time when eBay was an enjoyable website for transactions as both buyer and seller. Those days are gone, and they ain't comin' back. Now, when I have things to trade in, I just take the hit and sell them to Half Price Books. I'm not getting nearly as much money out of them, but at least it's hassle-free.
Old 12-19-09, 02:31 AM

best of luck
Old 12-19-09, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If only eBay would allow sellers to leave negative feedback again a lot of problems could be avoided. They want to treat all sellers like big internet stores where the only feedback is feedback about the seller. Buyers' own feedback isn't nearly as meaningful because it doesn't tell the whole picture.
Old 12-19-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

No, no, no. A few things...

First of all, "Item Not As Described" cases are not frequently awarded to the buyer. After the 30 days, PayPal will close the case and say, 'blah blah blah ... we are able to guarantee that the goods were delivered, but not the quality of the goods'.

If you don't have the money in your account, and don't mind having your account shut off, you can probably respond to the case and ignore the guy. If you have, say, $3.22 left in your account and the buyer 'wins' the case, he'll only get back $3.22. During those 30-60 days, your balance will be in the negative. But when the case is closed and finalized, PayPal would just refund whatever they can and close the case. But that'd probably result in your account being shut off.

If the buyer ends up doing a credit card chargeback, then your account will be stuck in a permanant negative balance, until you fill it back up.

Through all of this, make sure that you take a few minutes to follow up to any mesage received in PayPal's or eBay's resolution centers.

People freak out over their personal little merchant accounts being treated like this. But, in the end, it's a MERCHANT ACCOUNT. This is how credit card business is done and has been done, since at least the mid 90's (that's when I started hearing about the "100% guaranteed" credit card advertisments). The seller takes the credit card, pays a small fee, and then takes all risk if anything happens. Credit cards are not cash. The alternative? Craigslist or the newspaper.
Old 12-20-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out the Paypal section of the Discussion Forums under the Community tab to hear a lot of horror stories about paypal. Most of them are about buyers getting their money back after filling a SNAD, Significantly Not as Described, claim.
Old 12-20-09, 09:11 PM

I withdraw all my money from the account. Ebay hasn't respond yet.
Will see how this story goes on...
Old 12-21-09, 01:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by musica89
I withdraw all my money from the account. Ebay hasn't respond yet.
Will see how this story goes on...
If you have a credit card or bank account linked to your Paypal, they will try to get it from either place if you account has a zero balance.
Old 12-22-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
Check out the Paypal section of the Discussion Forums under the Community tab to hear a lot of horror stories about paypal. Most of them are about buyers getting their money back after filling a SNAD, Significantly Not as Described, claim.
Eh, maybe. A lot of sellers just screw the transaction up themselves, and then offer "their version" of the story to make them feel better.

You really have to be in the wrong, no ifs and or buts, if you lose a 'not as described' dispute. Otherwise, you get a victory letter that says something like, "we can guarantee the delivery of the goods, but not the quality".

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 12-22-09 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RonG617
If you have a credit card or bank account linked to your Paypal, they will try to get it from either place if you account has a zero balance.
I'm skeptical. This is a rumor/threat that floats around on the internet. It may have been "the old way" or something. And I can't say that they will never do it. But I do know that you have to be in a very serious situation for something like this to happen. Before they try to collect that way, you can expect a string of legal letters and threats. If PayPal does actually do this, they do it no more quickly than the IRS would (if you have back taxes).
Old 12-22-09, 10:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I'm skeptical. This is a rumor/threat that floats around on the internet. It may have been "the old way" or something. And I can't say that they will never do it. But I do know that you have to be in a very serious situation for something like this to happen. Before they try to collect that way, you can expect a string of legal letters and threats. If PayPal does actually do this, they do it no more quickly than the IRS would (if you have back taxes).
Had it happen to me a few years back. I don't know if they have changed since then, I have not had any major problems. But I no longer have my checking account linked, just my credit card which will insure I get any money back if they try anything.
Old 12-22-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They say they won't take money out of your bank/checking account if you go into a negative balance but if you have any fees that get taken out automatically each month they take them plus whatever else it takes to get your account back to a $0.00 balance.