Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

coax vs fiberoptic hookups, whats best and most durable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

coax vs fiberoptic hookups, whats best and most durable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-00, 08:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi in my search for a new dvd player I have come across a dillema, use the digital coax or the fiberoptic one. My reciever takes both, and I plan on buying most dvds with dts , so Im interested in the quality of the sound, so I just want to know whats best, also is it true that fiberoptic cables are brittle? Thats what a store clerk told me. Thanks again all, your great!
Old 07-18-00, 08:07 PM

I can't say much about Coax other than the problems you get using it for regular cable TV. The Fiber optic cable has worked very well for me. The only issue I'm aware of is that you must make sure you dont bend or kink the cable. The Sound Quality is truely amazing.
Old 07-18-00, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long of a run are we talking? I use optic cable for about 2 feet and have never had a problem. The sound (DD/DTS) is great. Sounds like another store clerk with his head up his arse to me...

Old 07-18-00, 09:07 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jvcdvd: Digital coax is NOT the same as the coax cable you get cable television from. Digital coax is a regular video-quality RCA composite cable.

Yobbam: There are a couple of recent threads you could search here for that detail coax vs. opticical. The bottom line is that there will be no audible difference between decent cables of either kind over normal runs.

Digital Coax is far cheaper and more durable than optical (which is adversely affected by kinks and long runs etc.); therefore, it is probably the best way to go. Don't waste money on a super-duper monster brand cable either. Just go to Radio Shack and get a well-shielded RCA composite video cable (75 ohm) of the appropriate length. The RS Gold-Series video cable is fine.

[This message has been edited by JM (edited July 18, 2000).]
Old 07-19-00, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

From an earlier post in another section (do a search of coax) "Mfgs are pushing optical because its cheaper, and avoids FCC regs for radio interference, but according to Harley's "Complete Guide to High-End Audio" Toslink (optical) is the worst of all connects both in the soundness of the connection to the pieces and the bandwidth of the signal. "

Optical appears to be more prone to artifacts.

Make sure that the coax is shielded and truly rated at 75ohms. accesories4less has sold AR digital coax for about $11, IXOS for less than $30.
Old 07-21-00, 04:39 AM

Coax is preferred over optical most of the time. Optical was primarly made and intended for CD-R and MD recording. Coax was made for 5.1 digital. I would recommend Coax as post everyone has.
Old 07-21-00, 09:35 PM

Optical cables have less outside interference than coaxial cables. They are meant to be used in short length to prevent kinks and bends. Sony makes an inexpensive optical cable I've seen as cheap as 14.99 for a 4ft 11in optical cable. I personally have monster optical cable and it works TREMENDOUSLY well. I can't say anything bad about coax though, because I have never used it for 5.1. My brother is an engineer and I have many friends in electronics store who ALL recommend optical over coax for this aplication. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-22-00, 12:28 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ECydeDave:
I have many friends in electronics store who ALL recommend optical over coax for this aplication. Just my 2 cents<HR>

Leaving aside the fact that there are few (if any) requirements of any substantial technical knowledge to work in most electronic stores, do these friends happen to work on commission? I thought so.
Old 07-22-00, 12:49 AM

I pay dealer price since my brother owns his own store, so commission is not an issue...nice try making a point. They are friends I've known for a while and I bought the cable without asking their opinion. I have since inquired about this topic and they then gave me their opinion. And by the way...their commission is about .1%, so if they said it to get that 1/10th (not exact) of a cent...so be it!!!