Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

1st Time X-Box 360 Owner (Basic Questions)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 06:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Can XBOX 360 only be hooked up and played with an HD TV or can I hook it up to a standard def and get normal enjoyment out of it?

Also, to hook it up to the internet can I just plug it into one of the open ports on my cable modem and be good to go?

If possible can people post some pics of their system in their entertainment system? I just want to see clear pictures of size and how it sits to see where I can fit it in my little PC room. That would be super helpful.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance as i am seriously considering getting one.
Old 12-11-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: 1st Time X-Box 360 Owner (Basic Questions)

1, this should be posted in the general X-Box thread. 2, these can all be answered easily through Google.
I don't have a 360, but this is what I know about them:

Yes, an X-Box 360 can be hooked to a standard definition television.

Yes, but you need to have XBox Live subscription in order to get any of the good online functionality.

Pictures, from Google:

In a stand:
http://www.makeyougohmm.com/images/2...60-rrod-6a.jpg
Compared to a normal disc:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....allerymain.jpg
Compared to regular x-Box:
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...60_vs_xbox.jpg
Old 12-11-09, 07:12 PM

thanks John. so this can lay flat or stand up?

and really it is that easy to hook up to internet, just use an open port on my modem, sign up for XBOX Live and that is it?

if i don't plan on saving too much or downloading content and all that, maybe just some old XBOX games, what size would be good for me?

and what is the difference between an "XBOX Arcade" and a "XBOX Elite" system?
Old 12-11-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Just a correction. You can plug it into your cable modem if it's also a built in router. Otherwise you need to have a router.
Old 12-11-09, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Just a correction. You can plug it into your cable modem if it's also a built in router. Otherwise you need to have a router.
how would i know if it has a built in router? i know i have 2 PC's hooked up to it, with the ability to add 2 more...
Old 12-11-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
how would i know if it has a built in router? i know i have 2 PC's hooked up to it, with the ability to add 2 more...
Then it would seem you have a built in router.

Elite is 120 GB. Arcade has no hard drive, and only minimal flash storage.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

I would recommend NOT standing it vertically. Too easy to knock over, etc and with a game in the drive that can be catastrophic.
Old 12-11-09, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by sniper308
Then it would seem you have a built in router.

Elite is 120 GB. Arcade has no hard drive, and only minimal flash storage.

I would recommend NOT standing it vertically. Too easy to knock over, etc and with a game in the drive that can be catastrophic.
so if i want to save game play or download any old XBOX game i would need the Elite?

also, which cable does this come with to initially hook up? it looks like i have an available component (Reg, Green, Blue) ports...
and does it come with an internet calbe?

thanks for all this. almost set...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-11-09 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Original Xbox games require the hard drive.

I believe the 360 only comes with Composite (Red, white, yellow) these days. You'll have to pick up Microsoft's Component (red, green, blue) cables or any HDMI cable.

The system used to come with a Cat-5 cable, I'm unsure if it still does.
Old 12-11-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good quality HDMI cables are available at www.monoprice.com for a great price.

According to this network cable comes with the Elite, but not the arcade, and both just come with standard AV (Composite) cables

Old 12-11-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so if i want to save game play or download any old XBOX game i would need the Elite?

also, which cable does this come with to initially hook up? it looks like i have an available component (Reg, Green, Blue) ports...

For the most part the arcades internal memory should be enough to save quite a few games as it's either 256 or the newer 512 megs. If you are going to download games either get an elite or get a 20 - 60 gig for less than 70 bucks on amazon or somewhere.
Old 12-11-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Arcade unit is $199 with no hard drive.
The Pro unit can still be found and is $250 with a 60gig hard drive.
The Elite unit is $299 with a 120 gig hard drive (best deal).
The COD4 unit is $399 with a 120 gig hard drive an additional controller and COD4 MW2.

All units have an HDMI port and a Microsoft proprietary AV port which is used for composite, component or VGA video out. All units only come with the composite cables these days.

When you sign up for Xbox Live you get one month free of Gold service which allows online play. After that you can renew for $30-$50 depending on the deals out there. Silver membership lets you purchase items from the Live marketplace but no online gaming or chat.

Most of the original Xbox games will work on the 360 but the hard drive is requried.
Old 12-12-09, 04:23 AM

thanks for all the help guys.

got an early X-mas present last night and i am now a proud 1<sup>st</sup> time owner of an XBOX 360 Elite! 1<sup>st</sup> time with any XBOX actually. got the 2 games bundle @ Target.

hooked up to the internet very easy through modem and have XBOX Live.

some more questions:

1) what exactly will a $50.00 membership do for me? does that entitle me to dl any old XBOX game for free or do i still have to pay for them individually? can i change my gamertag as i am not certain i want to go with what i picked. original names were all taken of course.

2) if i loved Resident Evil 4, will i love Resident Evil 5? i know the gameplay is more cooperative, but does that mean i won't be able to enjoy simply a single player? this was a driving force in my decision as i really wanted it, but now don't exactly know... does this switching back and forth radically change from RE 4 and is it hard to keep doing or is it pretty easy and intuitive after awhile?

3) is Brutal Legend a good 3<sup>rd</sup> person platformer? i am a big platform player and this one hooked me when i first heard about and saw trailers for. then, saw a review that said it was kinda a Real Time Strategy game which i am not sure i would enjoy.

4) what would be a good first 1<sup>st</sup> Person Shooter? one where i can get into easily and it wouldn't be too hard. i was never a big FPS fan, but wanted at least one. i was thinking Left for Dead 2 since i just adore the zombie genre and of course heard it was a great game.

5) what are some of the very best in 3<sup>rd</sup> person platform games? i also bought last night, Batman: Arkham Asylum, but haven't opened it yet. still waiting to see if i get into the whole 360 craze and want to return if br hits (buyer's remorse), though i didn't pay for it myself.

6) what are some great games in general, that would be easy to pick up and play?

7) what are some classic XBOX games that are simply must haves? i remember a dragon game that i really wanted when i first saw it: Panzer Dragoon Orta, i believe? is that a good one to buy or can it even be bought with Live?

8) what are some great 3<sup>rd</sup> person horror themed games in the vein of RE 4 and Eternal Darkness?

thanks again guys for the help/advice/general merryment...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-12-09 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for all the help guys.

got an early X-mas present last night and i am now a proud 1<sup>st</sup> time owner of an XBOX 360 Elite! 1<sup>st</sup> time with any XBOX actually. got the 2 games bundle @ Target.

hooked up to the internet very easy through modem and have XBOX Live.

some more questions:

1) what exactly will a $50.00 membership do for me? does that entitle me to dl any old XBOX game for free or do i still have to pay for them individually? can i change my gamertag as i am not certain i want to go with what i picked. original names were all taken of course.

2) if i loved Resident Evil 4, will i love Resident Evil 5? i know the gameplay is more cooperative, but does that mean i won't be able to enjoy simply a single player? this was a driving force in my decision as i really wanted it, but now don't exactly know... does this switching back and forth radically change from RE 4 and is it hard to keep doing or is it pretty easy and intuitive after awhile?

3) is Brutal Legend a good 3<sup>rd</sup> person platformer? i am a big platform player and this one hooked me when i first heard about and saw trailers for. then, saw a review that said it was kinda a Real Time Strategy game which i am not sure i would enjoy.

4) what would be a good first 1<sup>st</sup> Person Shooter? one where i can get into easily and it wouldn't be too hard. i was never a big FPS fan, but wanted at least one. i was thinking Left for Dead 2 since i just adore the zombie genre and of course heard it was a great game.

5) what are some of the very best in 3<sup>rd</sup> person platform games? i also bought last night, Batman: Arkham Asylum, but haven't opened it yet. still waiting to see if i get into the whole 360 craze and want to return if br hits (buyer's remorse), though i didn't pay for it myself.

6) what are some great games in general, that would be easy to pick up and play?

7) what are some classic XBOX games that are simply must haves? i remember a dragon game that i really wanted when i first saw it: Panzer Dragoon Orta, i believe? is that a good one to buy or can it even be bought with Live?

8) what are some great 3<sup>rd</sup> person horror themed games in the vein of RE 4 and Eternal Darkness?

thanks again guys for the help/advice/general merryment...
1) None of the above. Just the privilege of playing your xbox games online through live, some early demos/betas and a deal of the week usually for gold members only.

2) I really liked 5. I personally thought it was at least as good as 4, but that could be just me.

3) It's an alright game. Let me just say that I got it on release day. Finished it in 2 days and haven't touched it since. I wouldn't pay full price for it, maybe 30 at max.

4) Left 4 Dead is a great game and you can't go wrong without it. I don't even own a 360 right now, but I am almost tempted to buy a 360 just so that I can try L4D 2 if that says anything.

5) Batman AA is awesome. One of if not THE best game of the year IMO. I don't own too many 3rd person shooters myself (well not that are cross platform to 360 as all I have is a ps3). IMO Open Batman now, you will not be sorry.

6) Lets see. A few off the top of my head would be the L4D's that you mentioned, and Gears of War. Both series are top notch and very well done (and 360 exclusive I might add )

7) Last I checked PD:O was not on xbox live to download. I personally only ever downloaded Ninja Gaiden Black when I had my 360 and it was good. Can't for the life of me remember any extremely good 360 games lol. Sorry.

8) The horror genre is sadly kind of bare. The only one I can think of at the moment is Silent Hill Homecoming, which is a pretty good game and can be bought for like 20 bucks at most places now a days.
Old 12-12-09, 08:19 AM

Some random points:

* There is a list at xbox.com of backward compatible Xbox games. They don't all play on 360.

* I've read some talk (haven't played anything of it but the demo, myself) of Brutal Legend being the game most guilty of being a bait-and-switch this year. There seems to be a lot of RTS in the game, which a lot of people weren't expecting.

* Left 4 Dead is a good choice for multiplayer FPS. Borderlands is currently a strong choice for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

* You should never actually pay $50 for XBL Gold; there are too many deals throughout the year at various retailers. $35 should be easy to find (especially during the holidays), and $30 is inevitable at least once per year.

* Consoles standing vertically = bad idea.

* There's no such thing as downloading old Xbox games for free. In fact, the prices of old Xbox games on the marketplace are WAY out of line when compared to what you could buy them for in stores used. But you'd be paying for the convenience of not having to hunt them down.

* You need to pay to change your gamertag. Put some thought into your original choice.
Old 12-12-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to a couple of threads on this forum, LFD2 is not ideal for single payer play. Buy only if you want to do the majority of your play online. My votes: Borderlands, Call of Duty 4:MW and COD:MW2, Bioshock (only $19.99, so a great buy).

Gears of War. Best looking game ever, IMO. And Crackdown in a must-buy, IMO. And super cheap. (Keep in mind that there are a ton of fantastic games for the 360 that can be had for cheap since the system has been out for so long. My advice: Be frugal, hit up the "classics", then by the time you're through with those, the new gotta-have-'em games will be cheaper.)
Old 12-12-09, 09:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

One recommendation I have is to only buy game hardware at Costco. Sure, you may pay a little more upfront, or have to buy a bundle with a game you don't want, but the lifetime warranty and price protection is priceless.

My 360 broke after 4 years. I returned it and got the newer better model, and $100 cashback. And this was on top of the $50 cashback I got after a pricedrop 3 years ago.
Old 12-12-09, 11:27 AM

Re: 1st Time X-Box 360 Owner (Basic Questions)

thanks again guys.

so what exactly do i do with XBOX Live if i don't plan on playing games online with others?

i really just want to buy/dl some old games and play those...do i need a paid membership for that?

what is Borderlands all about? i really wanted to try L4D 2, but if it is not single player fruitful i will return it (unopened).

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-12-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just jumped into the thread and if you like survival horror check out Dead Space, it's like 15 or 20 bucks now and I'm really digging it on my PS3 (it's obviously also on the 360).
Old 12-12-09, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
just jumped into the thread and if you like survival horror check out Dead Space, it's like 15 or 20 bucks now and I'm really digging it on my PS3 (it's obviously also on the 360).
is this a 3rd person platform type game?
Old 12-12-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Bioshock is a must have. It's was my first game for the system and the graphics are fantastic. It's also a very scary game, just be prepared when you first
Spoiler:
pickup the shotgun on the floor
Old 12-12-09, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dom56
Bioshock is a must have. It's was my first game for the system and the graphics are fantastic. It's also a very scary game, just be prepared when you first
Spoiler:
pickup the shotgun on the floor
3rd person?
Old 12-12-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Edit. My bad, the game is play is 1st person and not 3rd. Still a great game to owned.

Last edited by dom56; 12-12-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scott there's an awesome Xbox Facts Guide at CAG (cheapassgamer.com) that can also serve to help you out with any questions you might have. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=183194

Originally Posted by edstein
The Arcade unit is $199 with no hard drive.
The Pro unit can still be found and is $250 with a 60gig hard drive.
The Elite unit is $299 with a 120 gig hard drive (best deal).
The COD:MW2 unit is $399 with a 250 gig hard drive an additional controller and COD4 MW2.
Fixed

2) if i loved Resident Evil 4, will i love Resident Evil 5? i know the gameplay is more cooperative, but does that mean i won't be able to enjoy simply a single player? this was a driving force in my decision as i really wanted it, but now don't exactly know... does this switching back and forth radically change from RE 4 and is it hard to keep doing or is it pretty easy and intuitive after awhile
It's a lot different then RE4 because it's based on CO-OP play, with a friend online or with the computer controlling your teammate (which can be irritating as shit! ) I liked it but not as much as RE4 and i wouldn't pay full price for it. I will second Dead Space, that game is awesome and was one of the best games I played last year. It can be had for $20 now and is worth picking up.

There's also a great deal on an arcade unit going on right now: Buy the arcade and get COD:MW2 ($80 Version) and 12 months of Xbox Live for $250.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...01822959192135

Or if you want one with the Hard Drive but don't want COD:MW2 you can get the Elite with a $50 Gift Card at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...pf_rd_i=468642

4) what would be a good first 1st Person Shooter? one where i can get into easily and it wouldn't be too hard. i was never a big FPS fan, but wanted at least one. i was thinking Left for Dead 2 since i just adore the zombie genre and of course heard it was a great game.
Any of the Halo games and COD:MW 1 & 2 are some of the best First Person shooters to have on the system.

Hope that was helpful and enjoy the system!
Old 12-12-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seconded on Dead Space. Its a 3rd person horror shooter. Think Event Horizon with horrible mutations. Also cant recommend Bioshock enough, as well. As far as platformers, have you looked into Shadow Complex? It's an xbox live arcade game for like 15 bucks. It plays in the vein of the metroidvania style. High contender for me for game of the year. I dont know if i can suggest Modern Warfare 2 to you. It has kind of a high frustration level to someone new to the game, if you havent played MW before. You might want to look into Call of Duty World at War. WW2 shooter and you can unlock a Zombie survival mode, that you can play by yourself, online, or at home split screen with someone else.
Old 12-12-09, 01:18 PM

very helpful all. thanks much.

are used games more reliable than the older Blockbuster rental movies? because i have never had luck with those and 360 games being DVD-like i am worried about buying used...

is there a setting i can do so that when i turn on the XBOX i go right to the game instead of the XBOX dashboard?

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-12-09 at 01:52 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.