Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How long do you think studios are going to keep forcing boxsets on us?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Batman Anthology, Ultimate Matrix Collection, The Spider-Man Trilogy, The Hannibal Lecter Collection, Dirty Harry: The Ultimate Collection, Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection, Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection, The Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon "Trilogy", The Omen Collection, Rocky: The Undisputed Collection...am I leaving any out?

Sure, some series have eventually gotten individual releases after first getting a boxset release, like Ocean's 11-13 and the upcoming Bourne movies, but you never know. You also never know when buying an individual movie, whether they're going to try to make you buy it again in a boxset later. I bought Silence of the Lambs a few months ago, but now if you want Hannibal or Manhunter, you have to rebuy it. Same with Rocky 1, or with Curse of the Golden Flower and House of Flying Daggers if you want Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And now it looks like your Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein discs are going to be obsolete if you want the rest of the Mel Brooks Collection.

Are catalog sales on Blu-Ray really so bad that studios have to bundle together titles just to get them on store shelves? Or is this just another blatant cash grab? (more likely)
Old 12-11-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How long do you think studios are going to keep forcing boxsets on us?

Yes, catalog sales are that bad.

Star Wars and Indy will be boxsets. Hopefully, Jaws and Psycho won't be.
Old 12-11-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I do my part.
Old 12-11-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Star Wars and Indy will be boxsets.
Well, those titles really can't be called "catalog" from a sales-expectations perspective.
Old 12-11-09, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Because no one wants to buy just Oceans 12 or 13. It makes more sense to get them to buy all at once.
Old 12-11-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Thankfully pretty much all of the mentioned titles could be gotten separately as imports. I'm pretty bummed about the Mel Brooks collection though. I already have Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein domestically, and I have an import of History of the World Pt. 1. All I really want now is High Anxiety. Hopefully there'll be a separate import release of it.
Old 12-11-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yes, catalog sales are that bad.

Star Wars and Indy will be boxsets. Hopefully, Jaws and Psycho won't be.
Speak for yourself, buddy! I'm sure there are plenty of us here that want to see Mario Van Peebles get eaten in 1080p!
Old 12-11-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Netflix solves the problem for me.
Old 12-11-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Your just going to have to start saying no to buying them right away. I want some of those as well but I can wait another yr or however long it takes... I've got plenty of other movies to keep me busy in the mean time.
Old 12-11-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I just hope the fuck Disney (or Miramax/Weinstein/whoever) doesn't release Scream as a trilogy boxed-set only. I only want the first one on Blu and don't give a shit about the other two.
Old 12-12-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't mind the Bourne Trilogy box, as I liked 'em all.

Disappointed about the Batman series, as I've got the first one in the nice digibook, and I want Returns, but not the Kilmer/Clooney silliness.

I sure hope Indiana Jones doesn't include that awful 4th movie with the geriatric Harrison Ford, and I won't be buying the Star Wars saga if I'm forced to buy the prequel crap just to get the OT.
Old 12-12-09, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Thankfully pretty much all of the mentioned titles could be gotten separately as imports. I'm pretty bummed about the Mel Brooks collection though. I already have Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein domestically, and I have an import of History of the World Pt. 1. All I really want now is High Anxiety. Hopefully there'll be a separate import release of it.
Available separately (already) from Hong Kong.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/102161...0-en/info.html
Old 12-12-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I just hope the fuck Disney (or Miramax/Weinstein/whoever) doesn't release Scream as a trilogy boxed-set only. I only want the first one on Blu and don't give a shit about the other two.
I wonder if they'll ever finally release the NC-17 cut of Scream 1? and if they do they better release it on DVD too (hell an anamorphic transfer would be more then acceptible
Old 12-12-09, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia

Cheaper from Amazon.co.uk I do believe? About $15 per blu.
Old 12-12-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Isny
Cheaper from Amazon.co.uk I do believe? About $15 per blu.
I might import them separately for $15. $32 is a little
Old 12-12-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Batman Anthology, Ultimate Matrix Collection, The Spider-Man Trilogy, The Hannibal Lecter Collection, Dirty Harry: The Ultimate Collection, Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection, Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection, The Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon "Trilogy", The Omen Collection, Rocky: The Undisputed Collection...am I leaving any out?
You forgot the Austin Powers Collection...

And the Godfather trilogy has only been available as a set for more than a year now.....they only recently announced that 1 and 2 would be getting individual releases early next year....
Old 12-12-09, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I wonder if they'll ever finally release the NC-17 cut of Scream 1? and if they do they better release it on DVD too (hell an anamorphic transfer would be more then acceptible
Same here.
Getting rid of my LD was a pretty dumb move, but at the time I never imagined they'd never release the uncut version on DVD.
At least not yet . . . but I still have hope.
Old 12-12-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

The completist in me appreciates boxed sets. It's easier to rationalize buying bad sequels. (That said, I really do want to see Joel Schumacher apologize for Batman & Robin in Hi-Def.)

What I don't like are the kinds of boxed sets we've been seeing on DVD the last few years. For instance, the Shrek box, only available in full screen or the Spider-Man box that had the 2-disc versions of the first two, but only the single-disc version of the third. I want my boxed sets to offer something special that I can't get with the individual releases, and this is one thing I like about Paramount's Star Trek box (the Captain's Summit bonus disc).

I'm also against the Bond boxes due to their ridiculous design. I mean, seriously, I thought we were finished with cheap paper hubs when AOL stopped mailing discs. Now we're using this to house our expensive James Bond Blu-rays?
Old 12-12-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanMedia

Sweet - thanks. I had been checking Amazon JP but nothing was showing up.
Old 12-12-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Well the other thing is the box set design is terrible. It's so large that it's impossible to just put it on your dvd shelf. I'm fine with unique packaging but they should include the disks in normal packaging inside in case people just want to put that on their shelf and toss the rest. Like Warner Bros did with Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
Old 12-13-09, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The completist in me appreciates boxed sets. It's easier to rationalize buying bad sequels. (That said, I really do want to see Joel Schumacher apologize for Batman & Robin in Hi-Def.)

What I don't like are the kinds of boxed sets we've been seeing on DVD the last few years. For instance, the Shrek box, only available in full screen or the Spider-Man box that had the 2-disc versions of the first two, but only the single-disc version of the third. I want my boxed sets to offer something special that I can't get with the individual releases, and this is one thing I like about Paramount's Star Trek box (the Captain's Summit bonus disc).

I'm also against the Bond boxes due to their ridiculous design. I mean, seriously, I thought we were finished with cheap paper hubs when AOL stopped mailing discs. Now we're using this to house our expensive James Bond Blu-rays?
But a cheap paper hub won't scratch a bluray as bad as it would scratch a CD or DVD
Old 12-13-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
But a cheap paper hub won't scratch a bluray as bad as it would scratch a CD or DVD
Maybe, but it's still a cheap paper hub for an expensive set of movies that reflect a certain materialistic sophistication. It's just not Bond.
Old 12-14-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the Bond boxset designs are kinda awful. They look decent from the outside, but for me at least the plastic slipcover is hard to get off, the inner box sticks inside the outer box and can be hard to get out, and then you got the discs stuck on a little piece of foam.
Old 12-16-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Yeah, the Bond boxset designs are kinda awful. They look decent from the outside, but for me at least the plastic slipcover is hard to get off, the inner box sticks inside the outer box and can be hard to get out, and then you got the discs stuck on a little piece of foam.
They have actually done away with that packaging, and now the Bond boxsets are just an outer box that contain three regular cases inside....I recently saw these at Best Buy....
Old 12-16-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WMAangel
They have actually done away with that packaging, and now the Bond boxsets are just an outer box that contain three regular cases inside....I recently saw these at Best Buy....
Sweet! Now I'm interested....