Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVDRom/Dvd Player??? HELP

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVDRom/Dvd Player??? HELP

Old 07-20-00, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been really interested in dvd's as of late. I just do not know what to purchase though. Can someone break down the disadvantages/advantages of pc dvd rom vs. conventional dvd players? I need as much info as I can get. On average, are normal dvd players better(sound, picture, etc.) than their pc counterparts? Is it hard to get dvd rom players with dts or dd 5.1 on them? Any info on software/hardware decoding? I'd prefer to have a dvd rom on my computer but I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. Dont movies look better on monitors as opposed to normal tvs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Btw, Im posting this in different forums to get more responses, I apologize for the repeat threads. Peace.
Old 07-20-00, 04:47 PM
Cool New Member

On the RealMagic Hollywood Plus decoder card, DTS is currently supported by the Hollywood Plus drivers but you will need a DTS decoder in order to take advantage of this sound system. I have this card in my PC with a Pioneer DVD-104S DVD/CD drive. It plays DVD's very well, but I am not using the DTS ability. I dont have a receiver hooked up to my PC. You can find info at http://www.realmagic.com/download_hw+9x.htm
Old 07-20-00, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info. so you're saying to be able to get dd 5.1 and/or dts, I have to have a receiver hooked up to my pc?
Old 07-21-00, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Yes. This is the same requirement if playing a DVD in a conventional dvd player hooked up to a DVD. You need a something like a receiver to decode the DTS signal. Some conventional dvd players have a built in DTS decoder, but you still need a receiver.
Old 07-21-00, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks

another question, I've been looking at some 300 dollar range systems and it seems that Cambridge Soundworks ddt2500, Midiland 8200, and Videologic Digitheather are the most popular. I was just wondering if you knew anything about these systems. Advantages/disadvantages? Peace.
Old 07-21-00, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry, I have no information on these systems.