Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

BEST movie sequence to "test" system?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

BEST movie sequence to "test" system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-00, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering what you guys think is the best sequence of a movie that would put my system to the test. I wanna hear how well my system actually is. I've listened to the Matrix lobby scene a couple of times, and the scene with the agent on the roof. Any other suggestions for good ssound testing in movies???
Old 07-20-00, 09:21 PM

The airplane destruction scene in Fight Club is a good one for Dolby Digital. For DTS nothing beats the storming the beach scene at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan--DTS. I would also suggest the first time John Cusack's character goes inside John Malkovich's head in Being John Malkovich as it is a very good test for you surround speakers.

------------------
"You must unlearn what you have learned."
Old 07-20-00, 10:31 PM

Das Boot- just start playing the b-side. It's a scene where the sub is under attack, depth charges are blowing up and the ship is falling apart visually and sonically all around you. (If you listen closely you can tell the diffrence when bolts are hitting metal or people.)

Independence Day- If you liked the action scenes in the Matrix, the fight scenes in this movie won't dissapoint.

Starship Troopers- Great sound effects throughout. The scenes where the huge ships are being destroyed are full of bass. The scenes with the bugs are pretty well done also.

Some other good ones are Blade, Fifth Element, True Lies, Prince of Egypt, Terminator 2 (new release should be even better then current one).
Old 07-21-00, 12:33 AM

Hello, its my first time here. what I like to show off my system is: Independence day and Starship troopers. Surprisingly Tommy has been great for video display and above average for audio
Old 07-21-00, 12:39 AM
rx

The canal chase from Terminator 2, but you really have to CRANK THIS UP to maximum tolerable volume to appreciate it.
Old 07-21-00, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you don't mention if you have DTS capability.

If so, Saving Private Ryan DTS of the whole beach sequence (intense)

Then also, the Bone Collector sequence near the train tracks... Not sure, but think it is chapter 6

Maybe not the greatest, but I like the opening scene of Top Gun.

(just noticed there was an earlier mention for SPR DTS beach scene..my personal testing favorite)

Old 07-21-00, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do have DTS on my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509S). I do not have a sub yet though, am looking at them (yes I know it is a must for my system). I do have Starship Troopers and Fight Club, I have SPR but in digital, not DTS. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 07-21-00, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by rx:
The canal chase from Terminator 2, but you really have to CRANK THIS UP to maximum tolerable volume to appreciate it.<HR>

I can't wait 'til The Ultimate Edition of T2 comes out. It will have a DTS soundtrack!

I also second ID4 and Das boot.