Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Stay" -- 12/09/09

Friday Night Lights

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Julie and Matt go to a concert and end up making a decision about their relationship. Elsewhere, Riggins and Lyla reunite; Vince uncovers a new talent; and Eric tries to devise a game plan for facing a tough team.

Last week was a really powerful episode. Looking forward to seeing how the follow it. I think I know what Vince's new "talent" is....
Old 12-09-09, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Stay" -- 12/09/09

Well apparently you were wrong (for this week ) in regard to Vince's new talent. Though the DirecTV guide description actually mentioned cars, I think.

How many eps left before the break?

Good stuff all around tonight. I still laugh every time I see Buddy in the stands cheering for East Dillon.
Old 12-09-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Well apparently you were wrong (for this week ) in regard to Vince's new talent. Though the DirecTV guide description actually mentioned cars, I think.

How many eps left before the break?

Good stuff all around tonight. I still laugh every time I see Buddy in the stands cheering for East Dillon.
I think next week's episode will be the last one before the break. I also laughed at Buddy in the stands more people seem to be showing up at the East Dillon games.
Old 12-10-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I assume that Matt just left without telling his mom/grandma? Should be interesting to see what direction he takes when he (eventually) comes back next season.
Old 12-10-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Amazing how relaxed Coach was about Julie going AWOL. If it wasn't the middle of football season, he'd probably have a shitstorm.
Old 12-10-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love this show. I really, really do.
I try not to point out too much of the bad stuff, because I know it's tv and they can only do what they can do.

Some stuff, can't be over looked.

So, with that said... I'm going to say this:
They totally dropped the ball w/ Grandma this season.
They turned their backs on her.
Sigh.
Love her or hate her, they made us invest our time in getting to know her and other than last week's episode, she's been mostly MIA.

Matt did not go to college because of his responsibility to his Grandmother.
Not because of Julie.
Julie was only part of it.
This season, they're turned that all around and they have made it all about Julie.
The only thing that's changed: They now have money. His father was MIA for years and him dying doesn't really change anything.
His grandmother still has dementia. His mother is still around to help out, just like she said she would last season.
I think they should have killed Grandma off. As heartbreaking as that would be, at least it would make more sense that he was 'freed' up to leave.

The main problem with them only doing 13 episodes is they can't tell the story they want to tell. Major pilots are shortened. So many missing scenes.
Like: How did Matt go from dropping off a very tearful Julie, to sitting in front of his house and realizing that his mom and grandmother are making it work, to driving away from Dillon? Are we supposed to believe that was the next morning? Can a person/18-19 yr old make that kind of decision and pack his stuff up and just leave? (Yes, at that age, most do.. but most don't have the responsibilities Matt has)
I'm assuming there was some sort of goodbye between he and Julie.
I also know they probably didn't want to do yet another 'goodbye' scene, we've had just about enough of those.
But, I fell like they've let us down on this one.

One more thing: Where exactly is he going? I'm not sure where we are in reference to the school year, but don't most people start college at the beginning of a semester?
(again, I try to overlook stuff like this if I'm satisfied with the way it's handled)

Tim and Lyla: Oh Tim! Did you really think Lyla would drop out of college and come back to Dillon to work at your brothers going nowhere body shop? Or better yet, do you think that when she graduates she will come back to be your bookkeeper?
Wake up!

Becky: Most annoying character they ever had. She is the reason why we're not getting key scenes. She's wasting airtime.
She acts and LOOKS like a 12 yr old.
The thought of her and Tim hooking up makes me ill.
Tim: "Shut Up"
Yes, Becky! SHUT UP!

Landry: At least Trya isn't dead. For a minute, I thought she was.

Dirty Stay Out Julie: Yeah, not sure how I feel about her little road trip. She FLAT OUT lied to her parents. Not cool. Daddy says he trusts her and Matt. Does he trust her now that she lied? Hmmm...
Old 12-10-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Agreed: Matt just left with a bunch of maps and none of his stuff? The car looked empty. Huh?
Old 12-11-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Good episode, but kind of lackluster coming off such a powerful episode last week. The football scenes were pretty good.

I guess Vince is the new Michael Vick.

I think Eric was relatively relaxed about Julie was because he trusts Matt.

^^ I agree...Did Tim honestlly think he could smooth talk Lyla into dropping out of college and working and his body ship yeah right.

So Buddy or Lyla can't afford a Plane ticket for her to get back to Nashville? I was surprised to see her take a bus.

I was really surprised to see Matt just hop in his car without even saying goodbye to his Mom and Grandma and just leave.

I did read that:

Spoiler:

Matt is supposed to return later in the season

Personally, I don't mind Becky as much as some of you. I did think it was funny when Tim told her to shut up.

Is East Dillon still winless?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-09 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
So Buddy or Lyla can't afford a Plane ticket for her to get back to Nashville? I was surprised to see her take a bus.
Well, he's probably still waiting for his check from the government from the 'cash for clunkers' program. Money is probably a little tight

Or maybe she was taking a bus to the airport?
Old 12-11-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Good episode, but kind of lackluster coming off such a powerful episode last week. The football scenes were pretty good.

I guess Vince is the new Michael Vick.

I think Eric was relatively relaxed about Julie was because he trusts Matt.

^^ I agree...Did Tim honestlly think he could smooth talk Lyla into dropping out of college and working and his body ship yeah right.

I was really surprised to see Matt just hop in his car without even saying goodbye to his Mom and Grandma and just leave.

I did read that:

Spoiler:

Matt is supposed to return later in the season

Personally, I don't mind Becky as much as some of you. I did think it was funny when Tim told her to shut up.

Is East Dillon still winless?
I agree this episode was a bit lackluster. I didn't care for the Tim/Lyla scenes that much.
Old 12-13-09, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best scene in this episode was the one at Sears. Loved the fear in JD's eyes when Vince threatened him. Loved it even more seeing Vince and Cafferty (?) get a kick out of the assistant coach working at Sears.
Old 12-13-09, 02:38 PM

I think there should have been a 10 year waiting period on using "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" in any show after it was used so excellently at the end of Mad Men Season 1.
Old 06-11-10, 09:16 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

FYI, NBC airs this episode tonight.

(I'm glad the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the Stanley Cup the other night. If it went to game 7, tonight's episode would have been bumped).
Old 06-11-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
(I'm glad the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the Stanley Cup the other night. If it went to game 7, tonight's episode would have been bumped).
Agreed. It's f-ing JUNE! Hockey should be long done by now!
Old 06-11-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As of last night my Tivo still thinks hockey is on tonight.
Old 06-11-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

I liked the scene in Sears tonight, I hope there is more of a story to Matt leaving. I hope Luke and Becky end up together as a couple.
Old 06-11-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm really liking this season. I like Becky and really all of the new additions.

Don't really understand why Lance is still a Senior when the were both Sophomores when the show started and he just said they've been best friends since they were 5.

Like that we're seeing less and less of the Dillion crew because there isn't a single likable character outside of Tammi over there.
Old 06-11-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Timber
I'm really liking this season. I like Becky and really all of the new additions.

Don't really understand why Lance is still a Senior when the were both Sophomores when the show started and he just said they've been best friends since they were 5.

Like that we're seeing less and less of the Dillion crew because there isn't a single likable character outside of Tammi over there.
I agree about the new additions. I like Vince, Jess and had no problems with Becky even though she annoyed alot of the posters from these threads 6 mos. ago.

Yeah, the whole thing with the grades everyone is in got lost in the shuffle somehow.
Old 06-13-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Sonofabitch - my Tivo thought hockey was still on and I forgot to double-check it.