Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Saboteur

Old 12-08-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Saboteur

I didn't see a specific thread about this game, but I have noticed some mention of it in other discussions on the forum. It was released today, 12/8, for PS3, 360, and PC. I've had some interest in this title for a while, but I'm on the fence now due to the lukewarm reviews. I'd really like to get some reactions from people here who might have picked it up or rented it.

Also, I wanted to point out that Amazon dropped their price on the 360 version today from $56.99 (the pre-order price for months) to $49.99. Makes me very glad I didn't pre-order it, and now I'm tempted to pull the trigger before the price randomly increases again. The PS3 version is still listed as $56.99.

I'm very intrigued by the setting, as well as the conceit of having the Nazi-occupied areas in black and white and gradually turning to color as they are liberated.
Old 12-08-09, 04:19 PM

Re: The Saboteur

looks interesting, but there are just too many other games in my backlog at the moment.

can see myself playing/renting this sometime in the future.
Old 12-08-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best Buy also has this for $49.99. I'm guessing Amazon's matching that.
Old 12-08-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the destructoid review was pretty positive and the giantbomb quick look pointed out some positives (as well as some negatives). i'm on the fence with this one as well.
Old 12-08-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Universally it sounds like reviewers feel this was pushed out about 6 months early so they could shut down Pandemic and there are rough edges and bugs that really should have been ironed out before release. To rush a game out now, immediately after so many AAA titles makes very little sense to me. I'll wait until it his $20 at Target clearance or something.
Old 12-08-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point.

What happens if there's any big bug in the game? They already fired everyone.
Old 12-08-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i think superfro has more details on this game, as he's been blowing the dudes at pandemic for a while now.
Old 12-08-09, 10:58 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
i think superfro has more details on this game, as he's been blowing the dudes at pandemic for a while now.
yes I await his review before I do anything....
Old 12-08-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yeah...and look what that got 'em. They went bankrupt because of all the lost workhours for their increase in STD related illnesses.

I'm enjoying it. I only glanced at a few reviews last week, but from what I saw the biggest complaints were that it lacked polish and needed some more fine tuning. I can't say it's not the case, but I also can't say that I really care. After playing Assassin's Creed 2 for a few weeks, the climbing in this game is god-awful. But then again, almost all parkour in games could be viewed as subpar compairing them to AC2. So taken on it's own merits, it definitely does the job. For me, the story and environment is foremost and thus far (about 3 hours in or so) it's completely firing on all cylinders for me in those departments.

It does seem like it could be on the short side. I'm 3-4 hours in and I think already over 25% of the main storyline completed. However some of those missions might get longer on the backend, I don't know how the balance is as of yet. But, there are tons of targets for you to sabotage in the game. Baisically the collectibles portion. And there are hundreds of those throughout the game in different varieties. I think I'm only about 1% completed on those.

The atmosphere is fantastic. I love the music, the look, and the feel of the world. I don't find the brawling system to be as clunky as I've seen described and I find the auto-cover and auto-reload mechanics to be really easy to get use to. I also don't think the graphics are anywhere near as bad as I've seen it take some heat for. I'd say somewhere between GTA SA and GTA IV when running around, but the cutscenes and character models are pretty damn awesome. (To reference AC2 again, it blows those cutscene character models out of the water! Some of those people were flat out nightmarish!)

I find I want to do stealth a lot more than the guns blazin' approach and seem to be having trouble with that thus far though. I think I just need to work on what gets noticed and what doesn't. Right now it's still kind of all trial and error on sneaking around.

Oh and also...boobs. (I know this makes a difference for some folks.)
Old 12-08-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
Yeah...and look what that got 'em. They went bankrupt because of all the lost workhours for their increase in STD related illnesses.
Gonorrhea Superfro
Old 12-09-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Superfro -- How is the driving? From the demos I've seen, I wasn't too impressed.

I was going to pick this up today, but the store didn't get in their shipment. I don't see any other games I want in the near future and I've got a $50 credit burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 12-09-09, 07:14 AM
gamer for life

Well after Assassins Creed 1 and 2, almost any games climbing elements will seem clunky. I am playing Uncharted 2, after having finished Assassins Creed 2, and even Uncharted seems clunky.

I will pick this game up. I love games like this....
Old 12-09-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Superfro -- How is the driving? From the demos I've seen, I wasn't too impressed.
I liken it a lot to being like everytime I picked up a new GTA. You have to get use to it, and the cars are pretty slow and beastly at times, at least in the begining, but I'm getting use to it.

On the climbing...I said it was god-awful, but that was compairing it to AC2. Just wanted to be clear. I think it's actually pretty ok considering everything else I'm doing in conjuction with that aspect.
Old 12-09-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Playing it right now, and damn driving is bad. I have to hit the hand break to even make a turn. Otherwise turning with the analog, I never fully make it and just hit a wall. Fighting is clunky too. But the story is pretty good as well as the atmosphere. All the ingredients are here, they just didn't finish baking.
Old 12-10-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game will be 20 bucks in stores by Feb. It didn't get stellar reviews, and Mercs 2 quickly dropped in price. No way I'm paying full price for this one.
Old 12-10-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Playing it right now, and damn driving is bad. I have to hit the hand break to even make a turn. Otherwise turning with the analog, I never fully make it and just hit a wall. Fighting is clunky too. But the story is pretty good as well as the atmosphere. All the ingredients are here, they just didn't finish baking.
Agreed. The settings/music/graphics/story are all fine, but the actual gameplay is pretty bad. I had high hopes for this one, but now I'm finding myself just wanting to do main story missions and get it over with quickly. It's like a mix of GTA and Godfather 2, but mainly negatives from each game
Old 12-10-09, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
This game will be 20 bucks in stores by Feb. It didn't get stellar reviews, and Mercs 2 quickly dropped in price. No way I'm paying full price for this one.
I agree. It's worth a rental at least, but with so many good games recently out and on the horizon, I figure I'll wait until sometime during 1Q 2010 when this will be $20

I was surprised to see it for just $50 right out the gate, esp. when that crapfest Rogue Warrior is a full 60
Old 12-10-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ValeTudoChokeOu
I agree. It's worth a rental at least, but with so many good games recently out and on the horizon, I figure I'll wait until sometime during 1Q 2010 when this will be $20

I was surprised to see it for just $50 right out the gate, esp. when that crapfest Rogue Warrior is a full 60
Well the $50 was a sale price by BB for the first week, with many other places following suit to match. SRP is still $60 on The Saboteur. (Although I was also surprised to see it getting the discount on release week at BB as well.)
Old 12-10-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Well the $50 was a sale price by BB for the first week, with many other places following suit to match. SRP is still $60 on The Saboteur. (Although I was also surprised to see it getting the discount on release week at BB as well.)
$50 at amazon as well (probably to PM best buy)
Old 01-09-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Is anyone playing this? I just got it yesterday and enjoy it. However, I'm not sure where you find those ambient activities or missions. Where and when do you find them? There are a shitload of them to do in each area but I'm not sure how to find them. I'm going to try and platinum this one,
Old 01-09-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up: this is listed on sale for $39.99 in Best Buy's ad for 1/10 - 1/16. See thread here.

Hopefully Amazon will match.
Old 01-09-10, 03:43 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Just a heads up: this is listed on sale for $39.99 in Best Buy's ad for 1/10 - 1/16. See thread here.

if amazon does, I will get it..
Old 01-09-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I went ahead and picked it up yesterday from Best Buy knowing it would be on sale this week. I will just get my credit back sometime this week when I stop in to grab a movie or two. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-10-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Is anyone playing this? I just got it yesterday and enjoy it. However, I'm not sure where you find those ambient activities or missions. Where and when do you find them? There are a shitload of them to do in each area but I'm not sure how to find them. I'm going to try and platinum this one,
You can purchase maps of the locations from the black market dealers. Word of warning...it'll look overwhelming once they're on your map.
Old 01-10-10, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder if the deal for $10 off if you pre-order one of the games listed will work even though it's on sale.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.