Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

250 dollar budget for dvd player, any suggestions? storewise or online? thanks

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

250 dollar budget for dvd player, any suggestions? storewise or online? thanks

Old 07-18-00, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I got hornswaggled into buying a first generation dvd player, I now have to search for a quality dvd player with dd and dts. I would like to have both coax outputs and fiberoptic outputs. I just dont want to get ripped off again, I need the experience of this forum any suggestions on quality players would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-18-00, 09:18 PM

'hornswaggled ' good word.
Old 07-18-00, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you need both decoders, the only one I know of is the Panny A-320 and that is in the low 300s.

HOWEVER, there are many good selections if you have your own DTS decoder. If so, the new Sony 360 is a great value (and I believe still comes with the 2 movies for $5 shipping and nothing to buy again from columbia house).. I have the last generation 330 and love it...

Other good choices are toshiba and pioneer..
Old 07-18-00, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

yes I do have a reciever that decodes dolby digital and dts, sorry should have been clearer.
Old 07-19-00, 08:59 AM

I would get the Pioneer DV-333.I am assuming you have a standard TV (not widescreen).The Sony DVP-S360 is a very good player,but it has a very soft picture in its down conversion of enhanced DVD`s.The Pioneer DV-333 has a very sharp picture with good sound as well and will play everything you throw at it.I would stay away from Toshiba`s.I recently sent back the Toshiba SD-2200 because of loading problems and shimmering problems.Toshiba has a bad reputation for loading problems.Check this site for reviews on all players. www.audioreview.com
Old 07-19-00, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

Hey Yobbam, you should check out the Toshiba SD5109. It's a quality player with lots of extras including a progressive scan feature that provides an amazingly crisp and clear picture. I think its one of the best players around and there's no doubt that it'll serve you some justice for that old first generation dvd player. Check out the reviws. Good Luck!
Old 07-19-00, 09:17 PM
BEC

The 5109 is a progressive scan player. For full benefits, you'd need a HDTV. The Pioneer 434 entry level progressive scan player is due out and w/MSRP of $450 - should find it for less than $400.

It's a nice investment in the future, but if you don't have a line doubler, you aren't really gaining anything.

In addition to the the Pioneer 333 (~$250), the sony 360 (~$225) is another great entry level player. Do a serach in this forum - lot's of praise. The anamorphic conversion is softer, but it is a more polished machine in terms of features & build quality (things like smooth scanning w/variable speeds, less disk playback noise, better remote...). The 333 gives you better picture overall (IMO)and CD-R/W playback.

Some "older" choices, if they turn up cheap, (200 or less) are the Pioneer525 or Toshiba 1200. Toshiba is a forum favorite. Does everything well except possibly, anamorphic conversion. Widescreen pictures on 4:3 TV look sharp, but there are noticeable line artifacts (jaggies). More apparent w/larger screens.

Depends how much relative value you place on things like picture quality in 4:3/ widescreen, reliability/warranty, feature set.

Old 07-20-00, 02:13 AM

I read great reviews about most of the pioneer DVD players. The 333 is an excellent player for the money and you should have no trouble finding it for $250.
Old 07-20-00, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

I love my new Pioneer DV-333 player. Plays every disc I put into it. Even CD-R and CD-RW.
Old 07-20-00, 07:04 PM

Check out the Toshiba SD-1200, its a great player for a great price.

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!