Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Stargate Universe -- "Justice" -- Midseason Finale -- 12/04/09

Stargate Universe

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Col. Young cedes command to Camile Wray after a crew member is found dead from a gunshot wound and the gun is recovered from Young's quarters. Meanwhile, a planet harbors a secret that threatens the Destiny.

Last episode of 2009. The back 10 episodes have no airdate yet, but it's believed to be April 2010.

Caprica will be taking over this timeslot next month.

The DVD/Blu Ray for the 1st 9 episodes (10 if you count the premiere as 2 episodes) has been announced:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...-Box-Art/13065
Old 12-04-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Stargate Universe -- "Justice" -- Midseason Finale -- 12/04/09

Just finished watching last week's episode and loved when Young beat the crap out of Telford. I don't know why Young's wife seems to think he has something going on with TJ.

Did anyone feel like something was missing after the episode from 2 weeks ago "Time?" 4 characters died, then Matt was talking to camera and was about to throw it into the Stargate and then the show ended. Last week's episode just picked up like the previous week never happened.
Old 12-04-09, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That episode didn't happen. When he made the new recording and tossed it through the gate, that became the one that was found, thus overwriting all the events of that episode.
Old 12-04-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
That episode didn't happen. When he made the new recording and tossed it through the gate, that became the one that was found, thus overwriting all the events of that episode.
Yeah really dumb. They took character progression (Chloe finding out about Eli's mom's cancer) and erased it.
Old 12-04-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Superman07
Yeah really dumb. They took character progression (Chloe finding out about Eli's mom's cancer) and erased it.
You mean HIV and yeah I agree, but it had to be done I guess.
Old 12-04-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I hate dramatic irony as well.
Old 12-04-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Rush will be happier where he ended up rather than where he was.

Unhindered research on a newly discovered ship with no one to tell you how to work? Just the way he likes it ...
Old 12-04-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to threadcrap a bit. I flipped this on for the first time this evening and thought this show was atrocious. Like a bad Sci-Fi Original Movie version of Battlestar Galactica, retaining none of the charm or humor of the original Stargate series or even Atlantis, which was often mediocre.

I haven't read the other threads, so this might be restating things other people have mentioned before.
Old 12-04-09, 09:45 PM

No, this show is just not very good. It has its moments, but overall I find it tedious to watch. I keep hoping it will turn around. Adding an overall plot beyond just a bunch of (the wrong) people stuck on a boat would go a long way towards improving things.
Old 12-04-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched the final 2 episodes of the fall season ...... I won't bother watching when it returns. I was hoping that there would be something compelling in these last weeks, but I found myself itching to hit the fast-forward button.
Old 12-04-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm going to threadcrap a bit. I flipped this on for the first time this evening and thought this show was atrocious. Like a bad Sci-Fi Original Movie version of Battlestar Galactica, retaining none of the charm or humor of the original Stargate series or even Atlantis, which was often mediocre.

I haven't read the other threads, so this might be restating things other people have mentioned before.
It's not supposed to have the charm, wittiness and humor of the previous Stargates. It's been mentioned in the other threads that this is a darker, more melodramtic version of the series. IMO it has alot of similarities to the film Sunshine and Solaris. There is no Wraith attack of the week or smart ass 1-liners from a Rodney McKay or a Ronin.

BTW, I read on Gateworld.com that Amanda Tapping will return as Col. Carter in the Spring episodes.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-04-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Well, we now know what the full season finalie will be--

Spoiler:
Rush will show up again-- with new alien friends-- for revenge.
Old 12-05-09, 09:25 AM

OK. I've watched this and I think it is decent show. However can someone explain 2 things (I know these were explained early on, but I don't remember):
1. Why are there Stargates on these other planets? Was there a first ship that dropped off stargates?
2. Why do they only have a limited time at stops? Is this a default setting and they cannot change it since they haven't been able to access the controls?

Thanks

Last edited by lysander; 12-05-09 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-05-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lysander
OK. I've watched this and I think it is decent show. However can someone explain 2 things (I know these were explained early on, but I don't remember):
1. Why are there Stargates on these other planets? Was there a first ship that dropped off stargates?
2. Why do they only have a limited time at stops? Is this a default setting and they cannot change it since they haven't been able to access the controls?

Thanks
1. No reason was given. Probably the same reason any gate is on any planet. The purpose of the ship seems to be to plant stargates around but we have no way of knowing what it is doing now. It could be back tracking it coarse or maybe the systems are so messed up it is going to places other ships have already been.

2. They have no controller of the ship. Could be the default setting. Could be a safety feature. Could be that the ship is alive and and likes messing with people.

On a different note I'm really digging this show. Next season can't come soon enough for me.
Old 12-05-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure they did say there were earlier ships sent ahead of Destiny to drop off gates so that once Destiny was launched it would be able to have resupply planets available
Old 12-05-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

as shady as Rush was young just signed their death warrant if Rush isn't able to get that ship fixed and come after them
no one else is going to figure out that ship in any reasonable amount of time unless they use the stone to bring in McKay and Carter and if needed for translations Jackson
Old 12-05-09, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's not supposed to have the charm, wittiness and humor of the previous Stargates. It's been mentioned in the other threads that this is a darker, more melodramtic version of the series. IMO it has alot of similarities to the film Sunshine and Solaris. There is no Wraith attack of the week or smart ass 1-liners from a Rodney McKay or a Ronin.

BTW, I read on Gateworld.com that Amanda Tapping will return as Col. Carter in the Spring episodes.
Can't speak to Solaris, but Sunshine was good because of actual suspense and drama. If SGU had those instead of booty stones and contrived angst maybe it would be good too. Heck if this show was just BSG with stargates I would be content. But it's all the tedious things from BSG with none of the entertaining things plus stargates. And Eli = Rodney McKay and IMO is one of the few bright spots of the show.
Old 12-05-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Just saw this and it was a pretty good midseason finale.

I agree even though Rush has been a prick, faked that data, and framed Young It was really stupid of Young to abandon him on that planet. Even though Eli is a pretty good wiz kid, he nowhere near has the knowledge to understand the Destiny.

I was surprised that Young temporarily put Camille in charge. Her background is being part of the International Oversight Committee and being a HR person.
Old 12-05-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like SGU more than the previous Stargate series. I've been a regular watcher.

Both Rush and Young came off looking bad. Young more so than Rush.

Both took real hits in the character department. Young did something we think he would not do. This really surprised me. Rush came out even worse than usual, but his character is rather enigmatic. We don't have as much of his backstory as other major characters, so his motivation is mysterious.

I figure this will conclude in one of three ways.

1) Rush and Young are the only ones who know what really happened, and although some other characters will have suspicions, Rush will not reveal anything. Leaving Young (and the audience) to wonder about him and his motivation even more.

Presuming Rush gets back to Destiny via the alien ship, Rush and Young will work together to combat the "threat" the alien ship represents. Since both characters will have endangered everyone by their actions (Young by leaving Rush and Rush by returning in the alien ship with its threat), they will end up cooperating.

2) The episode will conclude with a it-was-all-a-dream/alternate universe/time loop scenario.

Oh, wait...

3) Either one (or both) of the actors is leaving the series.

I hate this.
Old 12-05-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm guessing since Tapping is returning she will be taking over Rush's position via magic stones. So they will only be out of a super scientist for maybe a few hours of SGU time maybe a day. Even without Tapping they can replace Rush with any scientist they have lying around.
Old 12-06-09, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I thought it was a decent ep. That ending was pretty wild and I liked the whole, "Who murdered the Asshole?" parts.

I'll be watching when this show returns.
Old 12-06-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm kinda disappointed about it being a finale. This is the first time I've watched weekly and not on DVD. I'm really digging the show so it's a shame to have to wait(until summer?) for the rest of the season.
Old 12-06-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm kinda disappointed about it being a finale. This is the first time I've watched weekly and not on DVD. I'm really digging the show so it's a shame to have to wait(until summer?) for the rest of the season.
Not Summer. The back 10 episodes will air in either March or April.
Old 12-09-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm liking the show. I will say that I agree with Rush that Young isn't the right guy for the job. He's a pussy footer. They should be taking chances, like letting someone in the chair if they volunteer.
Old 12-09-09, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
I'm liking the show. I will say that I agree with Rush that Young isn't the right guy for the job. He's a pussy footer. They should be taking chances, like letting someone in the chair if they volunteer.
But the point was Rush was willing to let others try the chair but he was too much of a Pussy to do it himself. Young told him that if he wanted to sit in the chair then go ahead....but he didn't and he knew he wouldn't.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-09-09 at 04:09 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.