Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Riddick: September 6, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riddick 3 depends on DVD sales

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4542.html

Even if Universal's not so keen, "Chronicles of Riddick" creator David Twohy is still tinkering with the idea of a sequel [the 'no riddick sequel' petition is sure to kick off anyday now at petitiononline.com]. He says it'll depend how much bank the "Riddick" DVD makes, before anything is decided though.

“[Sequels are] still a possibility, but many eyes are watching this DVD release very closely,” Twohy tells Now Playing Magazine. “Remember that we were saying all along that we knew where the story goes from this point forward, but we hopefully didn’t have so much hubris to say that we were definitely making a trilogy out of this. What we were saying was, ‘We know what the macro arc is,’ and if we were fortunate enough to be successful in this one we knew where we would pick up in the next one. We had it in our minds and there are certain setups in The Chronicles of Riddick for future films, including the Shirah character who now appears in the [director’s cut DVD], a character who did not make it into the theatrical version at all.”

Twohy says if a sequel is made “We would talk a lot about the Underverse – this being the sort of collision of Heaven and Hell for the Necromonger empire – and what that all is, and we’d venture across it. We know the Lord Marshal character gained some powers there by stepping in, having one foot in this land of the Necromonger dead. And he came back with this power of soul separation. So it’s a very interesting place, and thought to be a physical place, and if we had the opportunity to continue the story we would surely like to go there.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not much of a surprise with this news. Riddick was supposed to be a trilogy, but the poor box office showing may have killed that possibility. I thought Riddick was ok, but the ending was great and definitely opens the door for another one.
Old 11-12-04, 03:24 PM

I'll be doing my part by buying the dvd.
Old 11-12-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be doing my part by not buying the DVD and telling everyone I know to not buy it either. Those bastards stole away $6.50 and 90 minutes away from my life I'll never get back.
Old 11-12-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might give Riddick another shot on DVD. I saw it at a lousy theater, and I was really getting bored with it. Which is too bad, as I liked Pitch Black a good amount.
Old 11-12-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While Riddick didn't blow me away at the theatre (Grade: C+), there was some good stuff in there, like Tooms, adult "Jack", and the escape from Crematoria. Unfortunately, the Underverse thing sucked, but the twist at the end was neat. I'm on the fence on whether or not to buy it, so I'll put it on the X-mas list, and if I get it-good, if not-oh well.
Old 11-12-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am buying it as well as a few other ppl I know. While its no PB, its still a decent sci/fi film.
Old 11-12-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by jonpeters
While Riddick didn't blow me away at the theatre (Grade: C+), there was some good stuff in there, like Tooms, adult "Jack", and the escape from Crematoria. Unfortunately, the Underverse thing sucked, but the twist at the end was neat. I'm on the fence on whether or not to buy it, so I'll put it on the X-mas list, and if I get it-good, if not-oh well.
I'm in the same boat. Only thing is BB will have a bonus disc so that may push me over the edge.... (yeah I know they usually aren't substantial, but I can't help myself)
Old 11-12-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked Pitch Black, and thought Riddick was just ok. I think they tried to cram too much back story and set up too many different things, as far as races and what not go. I appreciate the effort to create the universe, just didn't go about it smoothly.
Old 11-12-04, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
[sales pitch]If you buy the DVD, I will make another movie[/sales pitch]

not that he has any interest in making money, no way....

PS: I fully believe there will be another movie, even if 1 person (maybe me) gets the DVD...
Old 11-12-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll be getting it.
Old 11-12-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I thought Pitch Black was ok,nothing great.Never got around to seeing Riddick at the theater,but i will pick up the dvd because it did look pretty interesting.
Old 11-12-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The movie had some good production value, but almost zero invested in the script.

Given what Twohy has planned, I would not want to see that kind of sequel as watching Vin Diesel try to pull of existential type acting would be rather mashostic IMO.
The movie had its moments, but the subplot with "Eomer" and Thandie Newton was superfluous to the utmost.
Old 11-12-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Those bastards stole away $6.50 and 90 minutes away from my life I'll never get back.
To be fair, you're not going to get any 90 minutes of your life back. As for the movie, well, it wasn't that great. And I couldn't imagine buying the DVD. If another sequel hits theaters, I might see it. Might not.
Old 11-13-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'll be doing my part by not buying the DVD and telling everyone I know to not buy it either. Those bastards stole away $6.50 and 90 minutes away from my life I'll never get back.
HA - and don't forget about the time you took to type that up and read this thread and come back and read my reply to your comment and the bandwidth you're wasting and the sleep you're losing over it and the time wasted telling your friends... HAHAHA...
Old 11-13-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wasn't the best flick. I may pick it up. If they do another, I just hope he checks his ego at the door some and makes a decent movie without the need to force feed a "cult" character out of it and just let it come naturally.
Old 11-13-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
back before they started filming they were talking that they had a trilogy planned. This is his way of saying, it ain't happening unless the fans put their money where their mouth is.
Old 11-13-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never saw Riddick, but I'd gather it was a very different type of film, using the same characters. I like that kind of series. Maybe the next film will be a different style of movie, maybe more like Murder on the Orient Express!
Old 11-13-04, 11:05 AM

I was hoping that the sequel would have been better and I don't think that making a third will cut it either. I thought that the first was good start and had great potential to lead on to better films. Here's to hoping.
Old 11-13-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I liked "Chronicles". Sure, like all movies of its genre it had issues, but for the most part it was entertaining and generally a decent flick. It will be interesting to see where the next one goes. Especially since the 2nd one ended the way it did.
Old 11-13-04, 01:28 PM

Anyone planning on getting the DVD will be pleasantly suprised. I watched the Director's Cut last night, and it looks absolutely beautiful on disc. Truly one of the best transfers I have ever seen. Every shot looks like a painting.
Old 11-13-04, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Anyone planning on getting the DVD will be pleasantly suprised. I watched the Director's Cut last night, and it looks absolutely beautiful on disc. Truly one of the best transfers I have ever seen. Every shot looks like a painting.
How much better is the DC? My main complaint with the movie was the overediting of the fight scenes. I've heard some of these are extended--do they flow better now?

I'm planning on picking up the DVD once I get some income again (being jobless sucks).
Old 11-13-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Duder
How much better is the DC? My main complaint with the movie was the overediting of the fight scenes. I've heard some of these are extended--do they flow better now?

I'm planning on picking up the DVD once I get some income again (being jobless sucks).
I do know the Crematoria fight, perhaps the most widely dissed of the fight sequences (it's the one with no sound effects and flash cutting) is back in full form, with sound effects and a complete view of Riddick's fighting technique.
Old 11-13-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

here is a review of the director's cut:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13126
Old 11-13-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Colm Feore was shopping at my future shop a few days ago, we quickly chatted about Riddick... I promised I'd push the DVD when it comes out and make sure we have a nice big Riddick display... I know I'm picking it up"!

MATT
Old 11-13-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
HA - and don't forget about the time you took to type that up and read this thread and come back and read my reply to your comment and the bandwidth you're wasting and the sleep you're losing over it and the time wasted telling your friends... HAHAHA...
HAHA True. I'm quite suprised this movie isn't being ripped apart like a Catwoman thread. Yes, the movie was that bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.