Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung BD-P1590 "Disc Can Not Be Played"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

First, if this should be in the Home Theater sub-forum, I would kindly appreciate a moderator re-locating this.

Now, then. My wife bought a Samsung BD-P1590 as an early birthday gift on 18 November. That night, we bought Star Trek as our inaugural title and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen the next day. Both played fine. On Black Friday, we bought The Dark Knight, The Departed and Wedding Crashers. We watched WC Friday night, and again, it was fine.

Yesterday, we watched several Christmas-themed DVD's with nary a problem. I then put in The Departed and I received the error I cited in the thread title, "Disc Can Not Be Played," and it automatically ejected the disc. I thought that bizarre, since the manufacturing date on the player is September 2009, and The Departed Blu Ray Disc was released in 2007. I tried The Dark Knight and it happened with that, too. Sure enough, I've tried every disc--including the three movies we'd already watched--and it refuses to play any of our fledgling Blu Ray library. It will, however, continue to play DVD's.

We are not connected to the Internet with our BD Player; there's no convenient phone jack near the thing to move our modem and dropping $70-80 on a wireless USB receiver just isn't in the budget after what we've already put into going Blu. I have downloaded the firmware update from Samsung, but it unzips as an ISO file; the directions say it has to be an RUF file and offers no guidance on how to do that.
Old 11-29-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Samsung BD-P1590 "Disc Can Not Be Played"

you didnt by chance leave your movie on pause overnight did you, while i have never had any issues with the bd-p 1500 my friend did have the same problem you described. basicly the bluray reader stopped working cause it was on pause overnight. he could still play dvds but anytime a bluray was put in it would say that same error you said.
if i were you take the machine back to where you bought it, and exchange it for a new one, be glad you experienced it while you can still exchange it with another one.

As for myself Like i said i have never had an issue with my 1500 or 1600 and can not say enough great things about them.
Old 11-29-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

No, it wasn't on pause or even turned on overnight. It looped through the menu screen on Christmas with the Kranks for about 10 minutes while we all took a break and ran to the bathroom, etc., but otherwise it's only really been turned on to be used since we bought it. Not encouraged by your friend's experience, but as you say, at least I'm within the return-to-the-store period of ownership. Of course, that would be Target, who has become increasingly difficult about exchanges and returns....
Old 11-29-09, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got just one word for you, COSTCO.
Old 11-29-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My friend is not to bright though for leaving it on pause overnight. He told me he learned a big lesson lol and hasnt done it since.

but yeah i would definately just take it back to target and exchange.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
. Not encouraged by your friend's experience, but as you say, at least I'm within the return-to-the-store period of ownership. Of course, that would be Target, who has become increasingly difficult about exchanges and returns....
Old 12-01-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An ISO file is a disc image. Theoretically, it has the proper files inside, and the burning process through proper software will extract the RUF and put that on a CD for you.

It may be a pain, and it may not be the correct solution with your current unit as returning it definitely sounds like a plan, but the fact is that BD players will need updates, probably for the first 6-12 months. You need to have a system for getting that done. Maybe just dealing with downloading and burning CDs, maybe invest in a long ethernet cable that you can hook up for 10 minutes every couple months.