Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

which sony TV to buy ???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

which sony TV to buy ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-00, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my homework partially ... even went to the big sony store here in manhattan ... but I think now I am even more confused about the different TVs that they have ... and what features I should look for .. whaaaaa ...

maybe someone (i have seen that there were some older threads about that) did this kind of research recently ???

what is the big diff between the wega and trinitron?

i'd love to do 32" - 36" and stay around / below 1499.

thankies !!!
Old 07-12-00, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The difference between the Trinitron and the Trinitron Wega is that the Wega's are a flat-screen display. The screen is flat. It's nice. I just recently upgraded from a 27" Trinitron to a 32" Wega. The KV-32FS16 to be exact. The nice thing about the new models (KV-32FS12 and KV-32FS16) is that they do 16x9 enhancement for anamorphic widescreen DVDs. The picture is incredible - my jaw was on the floor the first DVD I put in (Sleepy Hollow).

The difference between the FS12 and the FS16 is the FS16 has 2-tuner picture-in-picture and the FS12 does not. I bought mine for $1077 at Circuit City, but if you don't care about picture-in-picture, the FS12 is about $970. I have been very happy so far with this t.v., and will highly recommend it. Just make sure you know which model number you are going to buy before you go, because they may try to push last year's model on you for about the same price.

BTW: I have read that this year is the last year they will be making regular Trinitron t.v.'s, if that matters to you. Hope this helps!
Old 07-12-00, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally someone sheds some light on what all these codes mean

looks like I am then rather going for the 32" without the PIP (not really sure if i really need that) .. and hey .. 970$ sounds cool ..

thanks

(oh .. what is it with that XBR thingie ??)

P

and after checking the CC website: YOUZA .. who would have thought that they have actually a CC in manhattan (we do not have e.g. homedepot, walmart or neiman marcus here) .. and what is better .. only 10 blocks away !!! me go shopping later today !!!

[This message has been edited by caipirina (edited July 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by caipirina (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 07-12-00, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The XBR series is like their top-of-the-line direct view t.v., but I'm not sure exactly what is different about them. They cost a lot more though. I do know that the XBR's come with wire-less headphones.

Just a word of warning about Circuit City: you are probably more informed now about those televisions than their sales people are. I went in knowing about the new Wega models, but they swore up and down that they did not have the 16x9 enhancement feature. Well, they do. $970 for the KV-32FS12 is a killer price, and it's due to Sony's overall price drop on their t.v.'s this year. I can't emphasize enough to make sure they sell you the exact model you ask for, as they are trying to move last year's sets. And whatever you do, don't buy an "open-box" or "floor-demo" television. It's worth the extra money to get a brand new set.

One last warning: the 32" Wega weighs 176 pounds in the box. Make sure you have a few strong people to help you move it. Good luck, and post here when you get your new toy!
Old 07-12-00, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

again Naitram .. thanks !!!

i was just taking a sneak peak at the wiz .. and sony's way of numerating there TVs confuses me still .. i found the 32fs12 for 999 $ there ... while a 32fs10 was 300 or 400 more .. and i have no idea why ... (and it was NOT the fs16 .. that one was next to it

how do i know i get this years model ?

and the weight info was very very valuable !!! I would probably have tried to schlepp the thing 10 blocks on my own .. HA HA HA

Old 07-13-00, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The KV-32FS10 was last year's model. The retail price on these were much higher last year, as Sony instituted a price drop this year. The FS10 does not have the 16x9 enhancement feature for DVDs, and they are more money! Just tell them the specific model number (KV-32FS12) that you want, and even though they probably don't have these on the show-room floor yet, they will sell you one.

Before you take it home, make sure you look at the receipt to check the model #, as well as the box it comes in. The $999 price tag sounds about right, and it's worth every penny. Don't let them push the old model (FS10) on to you, even if they offer you a price drop.
Old 07-18-00, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yippieh .. www.jandr.com is tacking preorders for the KV32FS12 for 849 $$$ .. that is great !!! .. it is a 10 day wait .. which is not bad .. since I am on vacation anyway

now i need to get the matching VCR cheap and by a stand which was on display for mere 10$ (which can swivel, which the 150$ sony stands cannot !!!)

thanks again naitram for the input !

P

------------------
I have to quit my job to have enough time to watch all these !!!