Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Curtis Mathes CMMBX72 - Blu-Ray/DVD all region & PAL? No.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed one of the customer reviews at Target said it played their PAL DVD, so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Then I saw the questions in the Momitsu thread about whether the Curtis Mathes 72 would be region-free like the CM 130 model, so I started thinking I may have wasted the price of shipping by ordering it. As it turns out, it's well worth the $99 I paid last week when it was on sale. I've played DVD-R, CD-R, NTSC DVD's region 0, 1, 2 and 3, PAL DVD's region 0, 2 and 4, Blu-Ray A and B. I figure if it plays all those, any region will work. I haven't upgraded the firmware or used any codes; I just put the discs in and they played. It's $129 now, but here's the link: http://www.target.com/Curtis-Mathes-...0Disc%20Player
Old 11-14-09, 09:22 PM

re: Curtis Mathes CMMBX72 - Blu-Ray/DVD all region & PAL? No.

Originally Posted by Frozen
I haven't upgraded the firmware or used any codes; I just put the discs in and they played.
So it's multi-region out of the box?

Which Region B BDs did you use to test the player?
Old 11-15-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

There's no such thing as an "all-region" BD player. A BD checks the player to confirm it's set for one specific region, then checks that it's a region the disc allows, then plays if the player passed both checks. So in order to play different BD regions, the player has to be manually changed to a different region. This is the basis of all current multi-region "hacks" for BD players.

Now, it's possible that the CMMBX72 is all-region DVD player, but I'm guessing that the "B" region BD is actually an all-region BD.
Old 11-15-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is my guess as well.
Old 11-26-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Target has this on sale for $76 plus shipping. Can anyone confirm its region capabilities with blu-ray? Is this another Momitsu clone?
Old 11-27-09, 09:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No, it's not. The other thread on the Momitsu, while long, talks more in detail about it. But the 72 model is NOT a clone. Start around page 11 for more info.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/internation...-899-a-11.html
Old 11-27-09, 12:02 PM

I've played the UK Blu-rays of Zulu and The Thing on this model. It also plays all the PAL DVD's I've put in it. If someone will post the details of how to change the regions on the Curtis Mathes 130 model (are there any on-screen menus involved, power on/off, etc.), then I'll try them on the CM 72. If the remote codes don't do anything, then I'll try to put the 130 firmware update into the 72 and see what happens.
Old 11-27-09, 12:33 PM
Banned by request

Frozen, try code #973502. This makes the BD player Region B for blu rays, and region free for DVD's. Also, have you verified the UK Zulu and The Thing are Region B? Or are they region free? I have a Memorex blu ray player (2510) that plays Region Free PAL discs, but it is not region free for blu ray or DVD.

I would also check and be 100% certain that the 130 firmware will work on the 72, so that you won't brick it.
Old 11-27-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Frozen, try code #973502. This makes the BD player Region B for blu rays, and region free for DVD's. Also, have you verified the UK Zulu and The Thing are Region B? Or are they region free? I have a Memorex blu ray player (2510) that plays Region Free PAL discs, but it is not region free for blu ray or DVD.

I would also check and be 100% certain that the 130 firmware will work on the 72, so that you won't brick it.
http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

UK Release of both Zulu and The Thing are both Region-Free.

Looks like the 72 is Region Free for DVD's but not for Blu-Rays.
Old 11-30-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh well, guess I'll be returning this to Target. I thought it was a model similar to the CMMBX130. I already have a region-free DVD player...
Old 12-02-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Oh well, guess I'll be returning this to Target. I thought it was a model similar to the CMMBX130. I already have a region-free DVD player...
Alright, I am pissed...this thing isn't region free for anything...I just needed a blu to do region free dvd in the bedroom, this sure aint it. Either someone is lying, or something strange is going on....
Old 12-02-09, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

I don't think anyone was lying. It just seems like it was assumed both Curthis Mathes models were Momitsu clones, which they are not - only the 130.
Old 12-02-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't think anyone was lying.
The OP said that he was able to play R2 and R4 PAL DVDs, and R1, R2, and R3 NTSC DVDs, so he was either lying, or completely mistaken on what region the DVDs he tried out were.

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-02-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

Ah, got it. Or perhaps they were region-free discs that were played.
Old 12-03-09, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Alright, I am pissed...this thing isn't region free for anything...I just needed a blu to do region free dvd in the bedroom, this sure aint it. Either someone is lying, or something strange is going on....
Why would anyone lie about something as frivolous and meaningless as a Region-Free DVD/BD player?

Look at how many of us posted information or comments that backed up that the X72 was NOT a Momitsu Clone.

Jay G. posted lots of info to dispute the OP's claims and even I posted information concerning the two Blu-Ray discs the OP said he played on this player which were in fact Region-Free Blu-Ray Discs.

It's not like this thread is 40 pages long, reading posts does wonders.
Old 12-03-09, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore

It's not like this thread is 40 pages long, reading posts does wonders.
exactly, anyone who is pissed should really be at themselves for not spending 30 seconds reading a thread with 10 posts on it.
Old 12-03-09, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
exactly, anyone who is pissed should really be at themselves for not spending 30 seconds reading a thread with 10 posts on it.
1) I read all the posts....here and in other forums.

2) The OP said his/hers was region free for DVD at least....I said EITHER someone is lying OR something weird is going on...Maybe you are the one who needs some reading comprehension skills.
Old 12-03-09, 06:58 AM

You people crack me up. I know/knew it was not a Momitsu clone...The OP said it was region free, at least for DVDs. And, when I ORDERED the player, there were not even 10 posts yet (but 4)....really, you people are hilarious. But I am glad you took the 30 seconds to read ALL 10 responses, and the four hours it probably took you to formulate your well thought out and helpful response.

Post #1: "As it turns out, it's well worth the $99 I paid last week when it was on sale. I've played DVD-R, CD-R, NTSC DVD's region 0, 1, 2 and 3, PAL DVD's region 0, 2 and 4, Blu-Ray A and B."
Old 12-03-09, 07:37 AM
Banned by request

I also posted the link to the other thread stating it wasn't. But I assume that one post was enough for you, despite that it was incorrect. Not fussing with you, but I've learned the hard way in the past when it comes to trying to find anything region free, whether it be DVD or BD players, you simply need to read around and not rely on the word of one person only. Get confirmation. There are tons of sites and people on this forum more than willing to give you hand with it.

Last edited by E Unit; 12-03-09 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:07 AM

I also posted the link to the other thread stating it wasn't. But I assume that one post was enough for you, despite that it was incorrect. Not fussing with you, but I've learned the hard way in the past when it comes to trying to find anything region free, whether it be DVD or BD players, you simply need to read around and not rely on the word of one person only. Get confirmation. There are tons of sites and people on this forum more than willing to give you hand with it.
Cool. Fair enough. But, just so you know, that link to the other thread - if I recall correctly - confirmed it wasn't a Momitsu clone and perhaps wasn't BD region free, I do not remember there being confirmation that it was not DVD region free. And, JUST TO BE CLEAR, I am not saying I am pissed AT anyone, I am pissed that the machine isn't region free...I do not doubt that some people's MAY BE, hence why I said something strange (e.g. different software/firmware versions, different factory settings) may be going on and didn;t leave the only option that someone was lying.

EDIT: Oh, and I did search other sites...and there was speculation that it was DVD region free on those as well...
Old 12-03-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You people crack me up. I know/knew it was not a Momitsu clone...The OP said it was region free, at least for DVDs. And, when I ORDERED the player, there were not even 10 posts yet (but 4)....really, you people are hilarious. But I am glad you took the 30 seconds to read ALL 10 responses, and the four hours it probably took you to formulate your well thought out and helpful response.

Post #1: "As it turns out, it's well worth the $99 I paid last week when it was on sale. I've played DVD-R, CD-R, NTSC DVD's region 0, 1, 2 and 3, PAL DVD's region 0, 2 and 4, Blu-Ray A and B."
so your mad that you jumped to conclusions before anyone else confirmed it? it took me as long as it took to read the whole thread. less than a minute. you should consider a tutor to help you out if you think a sentence takes 4 hours to come up with.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 12-03-09 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) I read all the posts....here and in other forums.

2) The OP said his/hers was region free for DVD at least....I said EITHER someone is lying OR something weird is going on...Maybe you are the one who needs some reading comprehension skills.
obviously is not me who needs it since you "read all the posts... here and in other forums" yet only one person in all that has said it was, everyone else have said it is not or might have speculated it not confirmed it. so reading comprehension is not your forte mines is just fine as I didn't jump on the player until it was confirmed by more than 1 person in more than 1 forum which as of this date it has not happened.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 12-03-09 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:18 AM

obviously is not me who needs it since you "read all the posts... here and in other forums" yet only one person in all that has said it was, everyone else have said it is not or might have speculated it not confirmed it. so reading comprehension is not your forte mines is just fine as I didn't jump on the player until it was confirmed by more than 1 person in more than 1 forum which as of this date it has not happened.
Yeah, you still don't get it. Thanks for proving my point. I am glad you take the time to bold your key words though, very artistic. And very Buddhist of you.
Old 12-03-09, 08:19 AM

so your mad that you jumped to conclusions before anyone else confirmed it?
HAHAhahahahahahahahaha.....
Old 12-03-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you still don't get it. Thanks for proving my point. I am glad you take the time to bold your key words though, very artistic. And very Buddhist of you.
I figured the bold parts might help you cut down on your reading time. I didn't know I was buddhist but thanks for jumping to conclussions yet again. i notice a theme. asianxcore has already said everything that needed to be said so in the future you don't even need to read the whole thread, just jump right to his post. just remember post #15 since i know it takes you hours.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 12-03-09 at 08:39 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.