Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Exorcist Miniseries ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Exorcist Miniseries ?

Old 11-14-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exorcist Miniseries ?

Anyone catch this little blurb?

This seems like something that would be posted on April 1st.

In an interview with Cemetery Dance magazine, The Exorcist author William Peter Blatty revealed some interesting news about a potential Exorcist revival. When asked if he'd change anything in the original film, he replied with something quite interesting. "Yes and no. I would love to have been able to include the subplot involving Karl and his daughter Elvira which I did in my first draft, but that script ran to 172 pages, much, much too long. But I might have it my way in the near future, inasmuch as I've written an Exorcist miniseries script that not only faithfully includes all the main elements of the novel, but also some rather spooky new material and scenes, as well as a totally new (and perhaps much more satisfying) ending. I've also updated it. Billy Friedkin has agreed to direct." William Friedkin directed the 1973 Exorcist that pushed the boundaries of film by having a young girl possessed by the (supposed) Devil.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18103

Obviously the only way this could work would be as an HBO series I suppose. It would be interesting to see Blatty's novel fleshed out a bit more, but there's no way they could even approach topping the original film.

Friedkin has agreed to direct?
Old 11-14-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Exorcist Miniseries ?

No, on all counts. Thanks, but you guys got it right the first time. Leave it alone.
Old 11-14-09, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remake it and do what you want.
Old 11-14-09, 03:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blatty is a little nuts concerning this film. Friedkin has completely gone off the deep end, first with his alternate cut of the original and now this. He has no clue what makes a good story anymore.
Old 11-14-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He should be concentrating on getting the DC of Exorcist 3 out, dammit.
Old 11-14-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Blatty is a little nuts concerning this film. Friedkin has completely gone off the deep end, first with his alternate cut of the original and now this. He has no clue what makes a good story anymore.
The alternate cut (aka "The Version You've Never Seen") is probably more accurately called the "Author's Cut" instead of the director's cut because most of the changes were ones that William Peter Blatty wanted in the film (particularly the new final scene which set up the friendship between Father Dyer and Lt. Kinderman. And it was this friendship that lead directly into Blatty's sequel novel Legion which was adapted for film as Exorcist III).
Old 11-15-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please no more.
Old 11-15-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
He should be concentrating on getting the DC of Exorcist 3 out, dammit.
I think he confirmed, sadly, the footage needed was destroyed, save for some rough cut stuff on video.
Old 11-15-09, 04:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I think he confirmed, sadly, the footage needed was destroyed, save for some rough cut stuff on video.
Has any of the missing scenes been talked about?
Like that scene that appears in the trailer of Karas on a cross crying with flames all around him. That scene looked good and didn't appear in the movie.
Old 11-15-09, 05:00 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dhmac
The alternate cut (aka "The Version You've Never Seen") is probably more accurately called the "Author's Cut" instead of the director's cut because most of the changes were ones that William Peter Blatty wanted in the film (particularly the new final scene which set up the friendship between Father Dyer and Lt. Kinderman. And it was this friendship that lead directly into Blatty's sequel novel Legion which was adapted for film as Exorcist III).
I know the history behind the changes. But none of the changes made it a better movie.
Old 11-15-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I know the history behind the changes. But none of the changes made it a better movie.
Agreed, but calling it "Friedkin's alternate cut" is a bit off given that it was Blatty's hounding for it that brought that version to life.
Old 11-15-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Has any of the missing scenes been talked about?
Like that scene that appears in the trailer of Karas on a cross crying with flames all around him. That scene looked good and didn't appear in the movie.
That scene is indeed in the film. It's near the end of the movie during Patient X's exorcism performed by Fr. Morning.
It was part of the footage the studio required Blatty to film (against his better judgement) to make the movie more palatable to general audiences. The original screenplay didn't contain an exorcism.
So this was just a tacked-on sequence after the suits mucked with Blatty's original ending.
Old 11-16-09, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Just remake it and do what you want.

you can't be serious?!!!

The Exorcist joining all the other countless crap remakes that now adorn recent movie history!!
Old 11-16-09, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dhmac
Agreed, but calling it "Friedkin's alternate cut" is a bit off given that it was Blatty's hounding for it that brought that version to life.
Well, Friedkin is the director and it was ultimately his decision to make those changes, even if it was at Blatty's behest. And now, if what I'm hearing is true, we'll only be getting that alternate version on Blu-ray, so it appears Friedkin prefers it.
Old 11-16-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Friedkin is the director and it was ultimately his decision to make those changes, even if it was at Blatty's behest. And now, if what I'm hearing is true, we'll only be getting that alternate version on Blu-ray, so it appears Friedkin prefers it.

I believe Friedkin still prefers his original cut and it looks like both versions will be released on BD.

http://captainhowdy.com/2009/08/the-...alloween-2010/
Old 11-17-09, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rad14
you can't be serious?!!!

The Exorcist joining all the other countless crap remakes that now adorn recent movie history!!
Why stop now. This movie and JAWS, ALIEN are about all the horror classics that are left.
Old 11-17-09, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
That scene is indeed in the film. It's near the end of the movie during Patient X's exorcism performed by Fr. Morning.
It was part of the footage the studio required Blatty to film (against his better judgement) to make the movie more palatable to general audiences. The original screenplay didn't contain an exorcism.
So this was just a tacked-on sequence after the suits mucked with Blatty's original ending.
I've seen this movie at the show on vhs and commercial t.v. and never seen that footage in the movie. Only on the trailer.
Old 11-17-09, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I want to see Reagan moonwalk!!!!