DVD Talk
Upgrading from SONY XBR1 (LCOS) to Panny TC-P50G10.. questions [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Upgrading from SONY XBR1 (LCOS) to Panny TC-P50G10.. questions

SPIDERone
11-11-09, 07:17 PM
I'm new to Plasmas - Just purchased the TC-P50G10 and should have it on Saturday.
Upgrading from the old, green blobby LCoS SXRD: KDS-R50XBR1

A few questions -

1) Compared to the SXRD, what types of differences can I expect with the G10? Color, brightness, darks, clarity, etc?
Used primarily for Blu Ray, HDDVD, SD DVD and some games (not often on the games)

2) Is burn-in an issue still? While I wouldn't use it for games often, should I avoid 2.35:1 movies for the first so-many hours and stick to 1.78:1?

3) I see people referring to someone elses settings in other online posts. I always heard that this was a bad idea (at least with DLP's and the like) to "share" confirguration settings. Will borrowing settings give a pretty close image across all plasmas in the line?

4) Any suggestions on a remote control? I have a Sony STR receiver, Xbox 360 w/ HDDVD, Toshiba HD-A3 (HDDVD), LG HD Tuner/HD Upconverting DVD player and PS3. I like the touchscreens, but is one a 'clear winner'? I don't want to lose buttons (some don't have "top menu", BD color buttons, etc)

SoSpacey
11-12-09, 03:22 PM
I'm new to Plasmas - Just purchased the TC-P50G10 and should have it on Saturday.
Upgrading from the old, green blobby LCoS SXRD: KDS-R50XBR1

A few questions -

1) Compared to the SXRD, what types of differences can I expect with the G10? Color, brightness, darks, clarity, etc?
Used primarily for Blu Ray, HDDVD, SD DVD and some games (not often on the games)

2) Is burn-in an issue still? While I wouldn't use it for games often, should I avoid 2.35:1 movies for the first so-many hours and stick to 1.78:1?

3) I see people referring to someone elses settings in other online posts. I always heard that this was a bad idea (at least with DLP's and the like) to "share" confirguration settings. Will borrowing settings give a pretty close image across all plasmas in the line?

4) Any suggestions on a remote control? I have a Sony STR receiver, Xbox 360 w/ HDDVD, Toshiba HD-A3 (HDDVD), LG HD Tuner/HD Upconverting DVD player and PS3. I like the touchscreens, but is one a 'clear winner'? I don't want to lose buttons (some don't have "top menu", BD color buttons, etc)

1- don;t know anything about your Sony

2- although not required, a 100 hour break in period with all settings zeroed out is recommended. hey, it can't hurt.

3- check out your model at AVS. see what the recommended settings are. use it as a baseline and adjust it from there. room brightness obviously has an effect on what settings you should use, but it is a good place to start.

4- most people here recommend the harmony remotes. i personally hate full touchscreens so i like the harmony. harmony's are also easy for the wife.

David Levine
11-12-09, 06:20 PM

I adore the Harmony ONE. Great feel, good size hard buttons and a nice full color touchscreen for soft buttons. Easy to program. I use it with receiver, PS3, HDDVD, Oppo and DVD Recorder.