Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

$1,100 system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-00, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 1,100 dollars to spend on a surround sound system. I need speakers and a receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions of which brands I should get?
Old 07-11-00, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In that price range, Energy take 5 speaker setup should be about 600, which leaves you a nice chunk for a quality Denon or Marantz receiver which will give you both HT and music.
Old 07-11-00, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree...I would go with a good Marantz for your receiver
Old 07-11-00, 07:25 PM

Thank you very much. I will look into those.
Old 07-12-00, 12:01 AM

I will second Marantz 8000.
Old 07-12-00, 12:18 AM

Definitive Technology's Pro Cinema series is also very good. Paradigm, B&W 300 series, and Pinacale are other brands whose "low end" speakers sound very good.

Other brands of receivers that are very good are Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and the new Outlaw Audiois great if you can spend the money.

The Outlaw Audio 1050 is a 6.1 channel DD/Dts model which only cost $600. It is an absolute steal and all reviews for it have been great at www.audioreview.com .

The only problem is that you have to order it online and there may still be a wait as the demand for it is EXTREMELY high.
www.outlawaudio.com/receiver.html

Old 07-12-00, 08:30 PM

I'm curious is there any reason to go for the Take 5 over teh Bose Series 5 or Bose AM6II?

They both go for ~600
Old 07-12-00, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMHO, bose is overpriced...I also think that setup does not have a powered sub.
Old 07-13-00, 12:53 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I second the Energy Take 5 speakers w/an e:XL S8 sub. The Bose speakers are the most overpriced pieces of trash on the market. By the way...talk to Mark Hallam @ audioshop.on.ca. You end up getting a great doeal on the speakers, because of the Canadian dollars->American Dollars conversion!

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-13-00, 09:41 PM

I'll speak for Bose here since no one else does. Do not go with the Acoustimass 6. They are right in it does not have a powered sub. Only the Acousitmass 15 has a powered sub and it retails for $1299.

Their suggestions on the other systems are very good suggestions. I cannot recommend anything by Bose in your price range because none of them come with a powered sub.

Also, for the people in here that love to trash Bose, remember, Bose sales a lot. A LOT!!!! A lot of our marketing is the small speaker...not the best sounding system. Our customers are also concerned with looks rather than the "greatest sound." So, Bose has small speakers that sound great. They aren't the best out there. Remember...the serious audiofile people that want the best sound are not concerned about the size of the speakers. Go to the thread that has pics of everyone's setups. These are outstanding systems...with HUGE speakers. Most Bose customers do not want these big speakers...that's why they choose Bose. Rather you want to admit it or not, Bose has played a large role in speaker techonology and influenced many other companies. So don't thrash another company because you do not like the product. Thrashing any company only makes you look bad.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-14-00, 01:26 AM

you can get NAD t750 for $550 and energy take 5,personnaly,i like NAD more than denon/marantz.

you can get millinium 2.4.6 for dts if u want,it cost ard $200 i think.

[This message has been edited by tyloh25 (edited July 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tyloh25 (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old 07-14-00, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BosePro,

This time I will take issue with you. I was in a situation where small size AND quality mattered.

NHT puts out a terrific product in the superzeros that is relatively small and looks good. The superzeros are pretty small though I have a combo of the zeros and ones.

Klipsch quintets aren't as good but are very inexpensive and are very very small, but are still better than the acoustimass cubes AND they come with mounting brackets with full range swivel. For someone who cares about size and look as well as price, I have not seen better. Full list for the 5 speakers is about 450. Even adding the powered KSW -12 (highly rated matching powered sub) makes full retail about 900 and you can find discounts.

FYI, my father has the acoustimass stuff because when he bought it, it was his best small solution for his stup. He drooled over my NHT/Velodyne combo and is thinking about upgrading...One thing is for sure, he now wants a DVD player....
Old 07-15-00, 01:33 AM

xcheckers...

The above response was in no way directed at you. You suggested against Bose with tac unlike some others. And you give legitiment reasons why you suggest another system. That's fine...that's professional critisism (sp?). There's nothing wrong with that.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-15-00, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No offense Bose Pro, but people don't buy Bose because of appearance, they either by it because of namessake or NONappearance. Speakers people by for appearance are things such as Martin Logan, Ariel, Theil, Snell, and so on. Companies that use fine wood veneers and actual furniture quality cabinetry. Bose are bought so that they can be hidden and not seen or for the fact that it's a company they've actually heard of. In which case I would suggest in walls.

As far as $1100 goes the Take 5 is probably your best bet, although if it were a personal choice I would go with a $6-700 pair of speakers and a nice integrated amp, but if you want to build a theater I woulid go with a $5-600 pair of speakers and a decent receiver (Marantz, Onkyo, HK, Denon). Something like the Paradigm Mini Monitors are fantastic speakers and when money becomes availible could easily be moved to the rear to make room for some bigger speakers. There's also Gallo Acoustics which makes some great speakers for the money. $500 could get 2 micros and a sub, which would sound great and leave room for upgrading. Good luck.