Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Speaker Trouble (please help!)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker Trouble (please help!)

Old 07-15-00, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'll try and remember all the details for this, but here it goes --
I've been having some trouble with my speakers, distortion troubles. I'll get hums or buzzes or whatever you want to call them, some very noticeable, others just slight and barely noticeable (of course I can make them out). This seems to be happening with a lot of my discs recently, and mystifies me because it does not happen during very hard bass moments.

Examples: a Thomas Crown Affair scene with powerful score, October Sky when the boy is running to the coal mine (also score), Jim Carrey playing the bongos in Man on the Moon, "inner thoughts" in Being John Malkovich, Iron Giant explosions. I have had NO PROBLEMS with Fight Club or Sleepy Hollow, two very deep bass movies. This totally baffles me as to how they can have a problem with Thomas Crown Affair music but not Fight Club's plane sequence. On occasion, I won't have any trouble with them. Thomas Crown won't always give me trouble, etc. I think this is because I live in CT where it is very hot during the summer. I have central air, but the furnace is in the room adjoining my HT, and I can't make sure the temperature is perfect all the time, or else I'd go crazy. Some days it's cooler than others.

I seem to have this problem more in the summer than any other time. Last summer I had problems of this nature, and once the weather cooled down, they were fine. I've only began noticing the resurgence a few weeks ago, as summer was just kicking in. I'm thinking of ordering new speakers, since these are 5-6 years old and I know that climate conditions as well as usage can wear down speakers, but for the most part they are clear, crisp, and fine. This problems annoys me and I don't want to harm them. I never blast them, and listen at a level they are well-equipped to handle.

It's in the two front speakers only. None of the other speakers (center, rears, etc.) have the problem. The center and rears are newer than the mains. They are only 1 1/2 years old versus the main's 5-6 years. I can basically describe the sound as a buzz that is sometimes a rather painful and apparent buzz but other times soft and seemingly unnoticeable. Sometimes the same scene can produce both sounds but during different viewings. Sometimes I'll watch Thomas Crown and really hear the buzz, other times it will be more subtle but still present, other times not at all, but more often than not it is there.

I am beginning to think it is the summer thing because I watched Man on the Moon twice when I rented it in May and the problem never occurred. I bought it yesterday and I did have a problem.

Hopefully this is the info you needed. If there's anything else you need, let me know.

Scorbrick83
Old 07-15-00, 02:27 AM

Boy, sounds like you got some strange stuff going on. Before you replace the speakers, I would try to switch them with another pair. What you are hearing could also be caused by a bad/intermittent amplifier or wires.

I'd hate you to buy a new set of speakers and still have problems.
Old 07-15-00, 02:52 AM

Jvcdvd has a pretty good suggestion....
And?????......(we still waiting for your second feedback after you tried his suggestion)......
Old 07-15-00, 03:04 AM

Another person I consulted advised that it could just be caused by crappy power during the summer and all the central air takes up. Again, take note that this happened last summer as well (the first summer I had my sound system). By September-October at the latest, it was cleared up. I, too, hope I don't have to buy new ones as these are pretty nice as it goes and I'd hate to lose them.

It's late here, so I'll try replacing the wires tomorrow and let you know how it goes. In the meantime, keep those suggestions coming. I'd like to hear as many takes on this as I can get.

Scorbrick83