NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) --- Series Discussion Thread

Old 09-23-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) --- Series Discussion Thread

NCIS LA

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In the opener of the "NCIS" spin-off following the undercover agents of the NCIS Office of Special Projects, working from a Spanish mission headquarters in Los Angeles, agent G. Callen (Chris O'Donnell) returns to work four months after being shot and joins the team on a kidnapping case. Sam Hanna: LL Cool J. Henrietta Lange: Linda Hunt.

Did anyone check this out? The backdoor Pilot "Legend Part I and II" aired on NCIS back in May. I know CBS procedurals are kinda hit or miss in this forum, but I'm a huge NCIS fan and I can't wait to see this.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-23-09 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
re: NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) --- Series Discussion Thread

Did they remove the CSI woman that was in the 2 hr backdoor and bring in Linda Hunt? Now that Warehouse 13 is off i have a free hour so this will fill it nicely.
Old 09-23-09, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Linda Hunt's character is brand new. Louise Lombard who played Macy in the backdoor Pilot might return as a guest star later this season. But, she will not be a regular on this show.
Old 09-23-09, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I enjoyed it. O'Donnell & LL have really good chemistry.
Old 09-23-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd like it better if it were on a different night. I think it was a mistake to put the two NCIS shows on back-to-back. The leads were good, but I thought the fight scenes were badly done - too many cuts and they looked way too choreographed. I'll probably keep watching though.
Old 09-23-09, 02:58 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll watch for LL's and O'Donnell's chemistry. They make the show...if they didn't have good chemistry then the show would be a dud. I kind of wish they weren't NCIS though but some other agency...as now we have a lot of dead marines, etc happening in one night.
Old 09-23-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked it a lot and will definitely keep watching.

However, my enjoyment of it was tempered by it coming after a most excellent episode of NCIS proper. It was good, but it wasnt that good. Of course, most shows arent.
Old 09-23-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care for this ep. Who's in charge of the "office", Callen, Hattie, or someone else? Plus, O'Donnell's cutesy dialouge is going to get old really quick. I'll hang in there for a while, here's hoping it gets better.
Old 09-23-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The problem is that this is an NCIS Special Operations team not a traditional NCIS team so their methods are different.

The producers originally wanted to call it something else and I do wish they did. NCIS is a spin-off of JAG and NCIS differs greatly from JAG so the show stood on its own very well and earned its name. With NCIS: Los Angeles, the show differs significantly from NCIS that it does need its own new name.

There are no interrogations, no badges flashed (by the two leads), and not really a lot of "police" work done. Intead its more covert, if you call kicking a door in covert, and more undercover work.

Is that bad? Not really. Is it good? Not really.

The two leads have great chemisty but the remaining cast not so much.

I was annoyed that since Hetty (Linda Hunt) is such a prominant figure at that office, why is everything catered against her height? Stepstools? Hooks set too high? Shamon. The US government and the military is so bureaucratic that the office would be catered TO her. No stepstools and the hooks would be set much lower. Inetead its poorly played for comic effect.

I was amused by the NCIS: LA phoofs (freeze frame black & white photograph commerical bookends) being done paparazzi styl with multiple clicks before "freezing." But a lot of the other humoous "quirks' fell rather flat.

I'll keep with it to see if it gets better. Here's hoping.
Old 09-23-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't like their probie
Old 09-23-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. As already stated, LL and O'Donnell have great chemistry and made it really entertaining. I like the formulaic police show, without delving in to forensics like the regular NCIS does (although I like regular NCIS because of Mark Harmon). I hope it lasts - I'll be regular viewer for sure.
Old 09-24-09, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it alot and considering it debuted with over 18M viewers, this is a virtual lock for a full 22-24 episode season.

O'Donnell and LL were great together. I actually thought this was more action-oriented than most NCIS episodes.

The only one who I really didn't like at all was "Haddie" Linda Hunt's character. I sincerely hope she isn't in every episode since she is credited as a special guest star. Would have much rather seen the show keep Louise Lombard, if that was the best they could do with recasting a replacement.
Old 09-24-09, 01:27 PM

I liked the premiere, but I think it was handicapped coming right after such a great NCIS episode.

I was very happy there weren't any signs of those gigantic annoying touch screens that they used in the backdoor pilot (NCIS "Legend" episodes,) those required motions and actions that just seemed completely unnatural and out of place to me.

O'Donnel and LL Cool J were good, the rest of the team, I really don't care about. They don't seem to have much personality, maybe it was just because their characters haven't had enough face time yet.
Old 09-25-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The orphan stuff seemed hokey. And the supporting cast is utterly forgetful, save that short lady and thats more to do with her appearance than anything. But as has been mentioned the leads have great chemistry.
Old 09-29-09, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

NCIS: Los Angeles -- "The Only Easy Day" -- 9/29/09

NCIS LA

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Hanna has conflicted emotions in the case of a murdered drug dealer when he learns his Navy Seal comrades are involved.

It's only a matter of days before CBS gives this a full season. Liked the premiere alot. Sam and Callen are pretty badass characters.
Old 10-02-09, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: NCIS: Los Angeles -- "The Only Easy Day" -- 9/29/09

Did anyone watch this yet?

Thought it was a pretty good follow up to the season premiere. I totally disagree with Septemberbaby's comment in the other thread. I think O'Donnell and LL Cool J have done good work on this show. It's not perfect by any means, but I think the show works. Callen and Sam are definitely a good team. It was interesting to see Sam get so pissed off about the Rogue Seals.

The supporting characters need a little work though. The chick is cool, but the wimpy black guy, the technical geek and the psychiatrist aren't really gelling yet. Linda Hunt's Haddie definitely has a motherly vibe to the team, but I really don't think she fits in that well and Damn, it appears she is a series regular now. She actually makes me miss Louise Lombard from the backdoor Pilot.

I think the show has a pretty good amount of action and covert operation, however the humor seems a little forced and out of place at times.

This is 100% guaranteed to get a full 22-24 episode season with how the ratings have been through 2 episodes.
Old 10-02-09, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Much better than last week. We'll keep watching. I like Edna Mole as their boss. Oh, Linda Hunt.
Old 10-02-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Much better than the first ep.
Old 10-05-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I enjoy this show. I do think that LL Cool J is a weaker actor than O'Donnell, and it seems to show.
Old 10-06-09, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk God

NCIS: Los Angeles -- "Predator" -- 10/06/09

NCIS LA

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The team must find a missing unmanned aerial vehicle, taken during a training exercise, before the deadly missile it's carrying is released.

The 2 episodes so far have been pretty good. I know ratings-wise this is really riding the coat tail of NCIS.
Old 10-07-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

NCIS: LA and The Good Wife picked up for full seasons

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

CBS has given full-season pickups to its hot frosh dramas "NCIS: Los Angeles" and "The Good Wife."
Both skeins hail from CBS Television Studios. The "NCIS" spinoff starring LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell has been a top 20 player for the Eye since its Sept. 22 bow in the Tuesday 9 p.m. berth. "Good Wife," anchored by Julianna Margulies, has held up well for the Eye in the 10 p.m. slot following the two-hour "NCIS" and "NCIS: LA" block.
Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has been watching these shows and following their ratings. Both have been pretty good rookie shows.
Old 10-07-09, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: NCIS: LA and The Good Wife picked up for full seasons

And with that, CBS essentially just canned Three Rivers. It'll be gone by November.
Old 10-07-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

CBS also has Miami Trauma (from Jerry Bruckheimer), The Bridge (a Canadian show) and Flashpoint as replacement shows.

Yeah, it doesn't look good for 3 Rivers.
Old 10-07-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Good Wife

I don't watch the other one but not surprising.
Old 10-07-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Good Wife
NCIS: Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.