Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Discrete DTS-ES (6.1) compatible w/ current decoders?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Discrete DTS-ES (6.1) compatible w/ current decoders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-00, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
WIll the new discrete DTS-ES (6.1) movies (like The Haunting) be compatible with current decoders? I have the DTS Demo Disc #4, and it has a demo of The Haunting in "extended surround" but I can't tell if it is matrixed 6.1 or discrete 6.1 I know the matrixed stuff is backward compatible, but what about discrete??
THANKS!!
Old 07-13-00, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the current decoders on the market are only capable of decoding 5.1 channels.....I may be wrong but I am pretty sure this is the case which means more new equipment in the future should you want to take advantage of the extra channel....your current decoder should still be able to decode the 5.1.....you just will not be able to take advantage of the new 6.1 without purchasing new equipment.
Old 07-13-00, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I was hoping that was the case. It would seem stupid, to me, if DTS made the new format incompatible with current decoders
Old 07-13-00, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, djones is correct. You will need a new EX receiver if you want to use the 6.1, although it is not 6.1 descrete. The rear center channel is not a descrete channel. If you have an old dolby pro logic receiver, you can make your own 6.1 that will sound just as good and you can enjoy it on all your movies.

Run your rear channels through an RCA cable on the "speaker" end. Instead of running this into the speakers, run it into a constant source on the Pro Logic receiver, like CD. Now from there, wire your rear speakers into the front speakers (left and right, A) on the Pro Logic receiver. Add a center channel from the Pro Logic receiver. Turn the Pro Logic receiver on, turn to CD, and there you go. 5.1 descrete channels plus a rear center...the same way they got 6.1.

Oh, imagine the possiblities with a Yamaha 7.1 and two extra Dobly Pro Logic receivers...9.1, here I come...LOL

------------------
My Site
Old 07-13-00, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know that the matrixed 6.1 is still compatible. But (unless I'm just reading this wrong), DTS has a new ES format that IS discrete. The rear center channel is not matrixed, it is fully discrete. The DTS release of The Haunting will be the first to be mixed in DTS-ES. I can find no info about this on DTS's site, except for a news release. (http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/061500.html)

[This message has been edited by shaun3000 (edited July 13, 2000).]