Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD demo in store setup improperly!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD demo in store setup improperly!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-00, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
with all my ranting about wanting a 16x9 set, i went out last night and looked at them(reaffirming that i want one but I can't afford one right now). Anyhow, they had a Panasonic 16x9 set and a Toshiba 16x9 (both direct view 34") running off a sony dvd player playing "Prince of Egypt". It was being displayed as 4:3 content would though. I switched the toshiba's aspect ratio to try and compensate. It did but the picture quality looked awful. I thought to myself "Wow non-anamporphic looks bad on this TV." When i got home, I looked up and found out that Prince of Egypt is indeed anamorphic(according to dvd.ign.com). So I've figured out that the DVD player must have been set to 4:3LB in the setup menu and not 16:9. I'm kind of happy that it was the setting, because when i do eventually get one, I'll watch a decent amount of 4:3 programming and non anamorphic dvds on it, and I'm glad it isn't gonna look like that.Still I really wish i would have figured out the problem before I left so i could see how nice it looked. On a sidenote, another store i visited had a hitachi 52" rp HDTV running an HDTV demo. Let me tell you, if all HDTV is gonna look this good, count me in! It was amazing. Just thought you'd find it interesting.

------------------
Dave http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dfbennett
Old 07-13-00, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar experience. I was visiting a A/V dealer in the Philippines and they had a widescreen TV on display. They were playing Space Jam on it.