Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Criterion Film Club (Nov. 1) - The Last Wave

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The DVDTalk Criterion Film Club selection for the first half of November was chosen by gryffinmaster:

The Last Wave (1977)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:

Richard Chamberlain stars as Australian lawyer David Burton, who takes on the defense of a group of aborigines accused of killing one of their own. He suspects the victim has been killed for violating a tribal taboo, but the defendants deny any tribal association. Burton, plagued by apocalyptic visions of water, slowly realizes his own involvement with the aborigines…and their prophecies.

Just a reminder, you have a full 2 weeks to view and discuss each film.

Last edited by Maxflier; 10-31-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-05-09, 09:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Criterion Film Club (Nov. 1) - The Last Wave

I watched this last night. I grew up with Richard Chamberlain as Dr. Kildare, so I was rather excited to see him in this. Especialy as the little blurb on my Netflix cover sounded really good. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. The movie was very slow, very symbolic, and ended in a strange way. I really don't think it answered any of the questions that it brought up.

I was pleasantly surprised to see David Gulpilil in it. He's been in quite a few Australian films, the last being Australia. I think I first saw him in Crocodile Dundee.

I am looking forward to hearing what you all thought of the movie.
Old 11-06-09, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to see how people compare this to Picnic at Hanging Rock...
Old 11-06-09, 05:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never seen nor heard of that movie. What is it about?
Old 11-10-09, 03:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

The Barnes And Noble 50% off Criterion sale has started. Using membership and coupons, you can buy every Criterion DVD and BD for around 68% off. See this thread for details.

I'll be buying and watching this film tomorrow or so.
Old 11-12-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what did you guys think of it? Did the gradual building tension work for you guys?
Old 11-13-09, 09:55 AM

Bought this last night at B&N for $8.50. Hope to watch tonight.
Old 11-14-09, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by gglass4269
Those are two of my favorite films ever! I'm also curious to see how they are both compared.
Old 11-14-09, 10:13 AM

I believe PAHR was the better film. There's just something about TLW i didnt get... IDK maybe its just me...
Old 11-15-09, 05:23 PM

Haven't seen that one yet, but will now look to buy it during this current sale.
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
So what did you guys think of it? Did the gradual building tension work for you guys?
Loved that aspect of it. By the midpoint or so I felt like I could cut the tension with a knife. I was incredibly tired, going on almost no sleep, and meant to just see the intro and go to bed, but the film was so intense that I had to keep watching.

Haven't quite decided how I feel about the ending. Normally, I'm fine with ambiguity and don't need films to answer any of the questions they raise. But this time I think I wanted a little bit more.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, made me think more than most films, which I needed after a ton of mediocre horror films last month.

Wish their were more supplements on the disc, as I'd love to hear more interviews with the cast and a crictic audio commentary.
Old 11-16-09, 09:25 PM

First off, thanks for selecting a movie I might not have picked up (or only in the distant future) on my own. And I've now borrowed Picnic at Hanging Rock from our library to watch in the next couple of weeks.

While I liked The Last Waveoverall, it really didn't hit for me. The deliberate pacing was nice, as was the blending of traditional/modern sensibilities. I love movies that can bring the mystical/spiritual into a "realistic" setting, but Last Wave never fully established the alternate beliefs of the "tribal" Aborigines into modern, Western Sydney before running off in the tribal direction. It always kept them as "the other," never bringing the viewer into that world or realm, so I never got a good sense of what was happening with them (perhaps that was intentional).

This may be a case where a movie should have been longer to fully integrate into the story its disparate perspectives: legal, social, religious. The last especially would have been interesting, particularly having established the stepfather as a Protestant minister--contrasting practices, views of justice, apocalyptic visions, etc.

Even so, the build-up of the movie toward the third act was nice. But I'm still puzzling over that last third, particularly after Chris and David part company. Some of it frankly seemed slap-dash to me, such as Charlie's appearance. Again, maybe that was intentional, the little-understanding outsider going into places he's not meant to be. I dunno, maybe I need to pay more attention to my own dreams.

Thanks again for the selection. I enjoyed getting this glimpse into Aboriginal beliefs and Australian cinema (which thus far for me has been limited to Breaker Morant and a movie with Rachel Ward). A pleasant, if slightly frustrating, experience.

Last edited by Washizu; 11-17-09 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-19-09, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Washizu
Thanks again for the selection. I enjoyed getting this glimpse into Aboriginal beliefs and Australian cinema (which thus far for me has been limited to Breaker Morant and a movie with Rachel Ward).
Was that, Fortress, by chance? Love that film!
Old 11-19-09, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Was that, Fortress, by chance? Love that film!
No, it wasn't Fortress, but I've now added it to my Netflix queue (thanks for the recommendation). It was long ago in my distant mental past, but I think the R. Ward movie might have been The Good Wife. Couldn't say for sure, just remember that I was smitten by her for a little bit afterward.

On another note, though related to this thread, I did watch Picnic at Hanging Rock earlier this week. In comparison to TLW, it wasn't as daring a movie, but it seemed to incorporate its "mystical" aspects in a more viewer-friendly way: the "mystical" was simply a "mystery" not fully understood, if at all, by any of the characters. The photography was great and I liked the music. Overall I enjoyed the movie, didn't love it, but found it a pleasant viewing. TLW was certainly more challenging, even more engaging, perhaps.
Old 03-17-10, 12:20 AM

Aaron has a good review of it here.
Didn't find that in the last sale, but looking forward to finding it and maybe more of Weir's work someday.
Originally Posted by Washizu
I enjoyed getting this glimpse into Aboriginal beliefs and Australian cinema (which thus far for me has been limited to Breaker Morant and a movie with Rachel Ward).
Just watched Breaker Morant the other day and loved it. Woefully lacking an Australian library. Anyone have any other suggestions?