Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

surprised there isn't a thread on this. this is the one executive produced by Oprah and Tyler Perry (which should not be construed as a "Tyler Perry" movie in the least). i think it opens limited 11/6.

looks like one of those raw, gut-wrenching, based on real life, incredibly acted movies that don't come along too often. getting a lot of Oscar buzz for newcomer Gabourey Sidibe who plays Precious and Mo'Nique who plays her mother.

looking forward to having my heart tore out with this one.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/kB4aKwN0lCDTO99B4vZ_Jw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/kB4aKwN0lCDTO99B4vZ_Jw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-29-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Th

This trailer really just got me. It seems like a great movie and the cast is really impressive too. I love Paula Patton, so I am glad to see her back in this movie. I just hope this movie doesn't make me sad, because the trailer alone got me a little down.
Old 11-07-09, 12:55 AM

Re: Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire (Daniels, 2009) — The Discussion Th

So it's Madea: The Beginning?
Old 11-07-09, 04:45 AM

I saw this in the London Film Festival. It got a standing ovation from the audience and I saw a lot of comments on twitter afterwards from people saying how amazing it was. Personally I didn't like it that much. There are a couple of famous celebrities playing cameo roles that I found quite distracting. Added to the fantasy sequences I found it difficult to take the story seriously. It really piles on the tragedy and after a while it all seems a bit too much.
Old 11-07-09, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Just waiting for the Tyler Perry haters to show up...

I've heard it's good and I LOVE Mo'Nique, but I'll probably skip this.
Old 11-07-09, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not going to break my precedent of avoiding Tyler Perry movies for this.
Old 11-07-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this movie was made without Tyler Perry or Oprah. It was after they saw it they wanted to put their names on it, Something like that, but I could be wrong.

The fact that the media and Oprah are starting to SHOVE this "Important" movie down the throat of America is enough for me to say BIG FAT PASS!
Old 11-07-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read the book a few years back for a college class. The book was really depressing to read but it was a good book. The movie does look good and it did see a thing during on Starz that shows the fantasy sequences that NZ DVD Freak mentioned.
Old 11-07-09, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blah...i just don't care.
Old 11-07-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I think this movie was made without Tyler Perry or Oprah. It was after they saw it they wanted to put their names on it, Something like that, but I could be wrong.
Yeah I heard that Oprah jumped aboard after seeing it.

The fact that the media and Oprah are starting to SHOVE this "Important" movie down the throat of America is enough for me to say BIG FAT PASS!

How so?

Let's face it. This movie is targeted for Black Audiences so it's no shock that many here aren't interested.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-07-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Let's face it. This movie is targeted for Black Audiences so it's no shock that many here aren't interested.
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 11-07-09, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by naitram
What's that supposed to mean?
This guy or girl makes a lot of ignorant statements on here.
Old 11-07-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that must be it

Plenty of white people are talking about this movie too. That's about as much response as your going to get from me.

Last edited by ScissorPuppy; 11-07-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll tell you this: The audience turnout for this movie is through the roof. Yesterday at my theater we sold out every showtime. I don't mean every show at night. I mean from the first show of the day to the last. At 6:45 PM we were sold out until 10 PM. At 8 PM we were sold out until midnight. I couldn't add shows fast enough. I'd add a show, come back 5 minutes later, and it was already 30% sold. Another 10 minutes and it would be close to sold out. Un-fucking-real.
Old 11-07-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. This is true of the nation for movies with an almost black cast though there a few exceptions.

Actually Lee Daniels is the director of this movie. He produced "Monster's Ball." Oprah and Perry helped this movie get attention and signed as producers. There is a lot of critical buzz for this film and for Mo'Nique's performance and it's only being released in a handful of big cities and won't go national until a couple of weeks.

BTW, Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz are the stars with small roles in this one.

Last edited by big whoppa; 11-07-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Nikki Finke, it did $585k yesterday on 18 screens. That's a whopping $32k PSA.

Estimates have it set for close to $2 million for the weekend on only 18 screens.
Old 11-07-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I've read lots of rave reviews of this film by white critics. I've read only one review by a black critic, Armond White. He calls it the most demeaning film toward black Americans since THE BIRTH OF A NATION. I don't think you can get more negative than that. I'd like to get a second opinion from another black critic. Unfortunately, none of the publications I read have black film reviewers, other than, of course, New York Press, which gives us Armond White's breathless prose. I'm normally a fan of White, but I'm never quite sure what agenda he's pushing or what grudge he's holding.
Old 11-07-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My mother wants to see this. That's their audience. She's a single old white lady.

Not my cup of tea, but probably will have to sit through it with someone at some point.
Old 11-07-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been following this one for a while. Too bad it took them so long to release it.
Old 11-07-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bootsy
This guy or girl makes a lot of ignorant statements on here.
Yes he or she does. But that doesn't make him or her wrong in this case....
Old 11-07-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Yeah, that must be it

Plenty of white people are talking about this movie too. That's about as much response as your going to get from me.

Sure. He or she didn't say Whites won't be allowed to see it so don't run too far off with what he or she meant. He or she just meant that films like this tend to have a narrow audience and if others outside of that narrow field happen to show an interest then that's great.

You can get all self righteous if you want, but that doesn't make his or her statement wrong.
Old 11-07-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by fernsita
I love Paula Patton, so I am glad to see her back in this movie.
Oh, that's who it is. On all the ads I've seen, I kept on wondering why Alicia Keys' name wasn't appearing anywhere.
Old 11-07-09, 11:03 PM
Banned

Yes he or she does. But that doesn't make him or her wrong in this case....
It makes you something worse than that.
Old 11-07-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I'm not interested in seeing it simply because it looks really depressing. But I was morbidly curious how depressing so I've read a few descriptions online...which confirms that yes, it is extremely depressing.

And frankly, I go see the movies to enjoy myself.
Old 11-07-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks too depressing, it may be good, but I don't want to see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.