Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Direct-TV Subscriber thinking of leaving...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-28-09, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All-
I'm a D-TV subscriber and have been for over 10 years. Each year I get the NHL Center Ice package as well. As you can probably guess, I'm fairly ill over the Versus fiasco with D-TV not carrying it anymore. To think that I may follow my team the entire season, only to not be able to watch them in the playoffs makes me ill to the point that I'm thinking of switching carriers and paying the early term fee since I'm under contract. I've talked to D-Tv about this, and of course they credit my account here and there, but it doesn't get me the Vs network in the end.

The main reason I'm writing this is to see if anyone out there has gone from D-Tv to Time Warner. I'm specifically looking for comparisons in the DVR functionality.

I will say that it'll be nice to not worry about snow or rain fade if I switch to TW....
Thanks for the input-
Kram
Old 10-28-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Direct-TV Subscriber thinking of leaving...

I'm now with Direct after previously being a longtime TWC subscriber. The Direct DVR is loads more dependable than the TWC one that I had. With that one, I had to always keep my eye out to make sure that all my scheduled programs were actually set to record. Otherwise, I would have to unplug the box and plug it back in for it to reset. That's not a huge deal, but it meant that I had to be more vigilant about things. I would also sometimes have recorded programs randomly disappear. Plus, the hard drive on the TWC box was a lot smaller.

Anyway, that's my experience with TWC, not to mention the completely lousy customer service I would always get. Good luck with the switch.
Old 10-28-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We had Time Warner 5 yrs ago.
They have the WORSE customer service.. at least in the Charlotte, NC market.
Horrible!
We hooked up w/ Dtv and never looked back. I'm not saying that Dtv isn't w/o it's problems but compared to TW, it works like a charm.
We had TW's DVR for a while and if I recall, they didn't have season pass type options. Not sure if that's been addressed or not.
TW is more expensive than Dtv.
Dtv has Friday Night Lights TONIGHT! Commercial free!
TW won't have it until.... who knows. Next Spring? Summer?
Old 10-28-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

aren't hockey playoffs about 6 or 7 months away? why not just worry about it then?
Old 10-28-09, 05:13 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

May as well stick w/ DTV for now and catch Friday Night Lights. Have you considered switching to Dish? Their DVRs are the best around, imo.
Old 10-28-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I hate the whole way that sports is offered to people who get satellite/cable TV these days. I don't mind paying extra for these channels, as I am a huge sports junkie, and I know it will be worth it. But to have a certain cable system, and you can't get a certain sports channel really sucks. I have Comcast, and they went through the same crap with the NFL Channel last spring, but eventually settled. But if I lost the NFL Channel, would I have had to change to another cable system??

As the consumer, we are the ones who get screwed because these guys are greedy, and sadly there is nothing we can do.
Old 10-28-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just call dtv and complain tell them why your upset. There are rumors going around the hockey boards that they are giving away FREE center ice
Old 10-29-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you call to cancel and tell them its because of the loss of Versus' hockey coverage you should get offered Center Ice for free.

I called and got a different deal out of the situation. I didn't really care about Hockey but there were college football games & cycling. I ended up with the Sports Pak for free for the next 6 months plus an extra $3 off my bill.
Old 10-29-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking of dropping DirecTV as well, but for AT&T UVerse which has recently been made available in my area. I'm interested in the "whole house DVR" capability, plus it looks like it would be a bit cheaper since I would be bundling in some other services too.

But like the OP, I'm also a bit wary of giving up my DirecTivo for another DVR interface.
Old 10-29-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Just call dtv and complain tell them why your upset. There are rumors going around the hockey boards that they are giving away FREE center ice
That's what I would recommend doing. Try to call and get CI for free. Then when the playoffs start (or even deeper into the playoffs), make the switch to cable.
Old 10-29-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Is there seriously no hope of DTV carrying Versus again? How hard could it have been to get a deal done? Come on...
Old 10-29-09, 02:08 PM

I work for a Directv call center and from the info I have, I wouldn't hold your breath about getting Versus back anytime soon.

I can vouch that it IS possible to get CI for free(or a few other deals) if you complain enough, but don't be a complete jerk because it is up to the representative's discretion.