Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC, Toshiba, or Sony DVD Player??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC, Toshiba, or Sony DVD Player??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-00, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey people,

I need a little help. . . I'm gonna buy a dvd player in the next 2 weeks, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out which one to buy. Right now I'm looking at three models,

Toshiba-SD1200
Sony-S360
JVC XV-523GD

Do any of you guys own these players or know anything about them. Which do you suggest to buy . .

Any help is appreciated . .

Thanks . .
Old 07-11-00, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would go with either the Toshiba or the Sony....stay away from the JVC....I have seen a lot of people on this forum stating they have had problems with certain JVC models!!!
Old 07-11-00, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope I'm not jinxing myself with this post, but I've had a JVC 701 for almost a year now with no problems whatsoever. I've been very satisfied with the player.

I have seen a ton of posts to the contrary, though, and it's possible that I've just gotten lucky.

Regardless, happy shopping!

------------------
Hey there, Homer. I made this chili with something extra, just for you.
I put in the merciless peppers of Quetzalsacatenango. Grown deep in the
jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.
Care for a taste?

-Chief Wiggum (of the Simpsons)

DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?
Old 07-11-00, 01:44 PM

I would agree that Toshiba or Sony are the way to go.

I just bought the Toshiba 1200 last week and have been very satisfied. I narrowed it down to the Sony S360 and the Toshiba, and went with the Toshiba because I prefer a sharper picture over a softer one. Also, I already have a Toshiba projection television, and wanted a Toshiba player to match.

I hooked it up via component "ColorStream" video, and the picture is awesome. I also am enjoying the "Spatializer" surround sound, which is simulated, but nice for me because for now I'm having to go with Dolby 2.0.

I've had no trouble with any discs that gave my old RCA problems, and that includes "ID4" and "The Man With the Golden Gun."

Anyway, skip the JVC and you'll be a lot happier.
Old 07-12-00, 03:30 AM

I was one of the many to be robbed by JVC. STAY FAR AWAY FROM JVC - THEY SUCK! They won't even fix what they know is defective.

You won't go wrong with either of the other two. I had to replace my crappy JVC and bought the Sony 560 and love it. On the upside the picture and sound were much improved over the JVC. (Even my wife commented on how much better it was) SO now I can at least look at it as some kind of upgrade. Enjoy I'm sure you will.
Old 07-12-00, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you tried Audioreview - they have a database of reviews for "almost" every software/hardware equipment in the market today(dvd players).

Personally, I would go with either the Sony or Toshiba. My brother-in-law bought the SD1200 which looked pretty good(when I was there)for an entry level dvd player.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 07-12-00, 09:05 AM
Topgun94

Either the Toshiba or Sony, but try to sample both with an anamorphic disc. The Toshiba has a shaper picture, but is a bit jagged. The Sony shows no artifacts, but has a softer picture. I prefer the Sony, but its kind of up to individual tastes.
Old 07-13-00, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the 3 tray JVC XMV555BK model, which I bought in December. I have never had any trouble with it whatsoever, even on problematic disc such as The Matrix, Arlington Road, and ID4(which many of the earlier model Toshibas will not play). I own around 140 DVDs and I have been a Netflix Marquee member since I bought the player and, like I said, every title has played flawlessly. I paid $349 in December I think, but my mom just bought one after my recommendation and paid $279. So, you might consider that. It is nice having 3 trays and for the price it really is a decent deal. I really do not know if I would consider one of the lower model JVCs though. But, with my experience with the one I have, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. This has been a better player than my single tray RCA, which was purchased in June of 99. I bought the JVC because of its component video outputs, but the biggest advantage by far is that it has 3 trays. I would hate to go back to a single tray player at this point.