Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Mad Men -- "The Gypsy and the Hobo" -- 10/25/09

Mad Men 1

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Sterling Cooper welcomes back a prodigal client; Betty and the children take a trip; Joan and Greg make plans for their future.

2 more left after tonight.
Old 10-25-09, 10:02 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "The Gypsy and the Hobo" -- 10/25/09

"Vietnam, if that's still going on" I guess we know how they will make Joan single again

Joan busting the vase over his head was great

The last half hour with Don and Betty was intense.
Old 10-25-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some heartbreaking stuff from Don tonight.

I had to re-watch Joan and vase a couple of time. You go, girl!

Hope Joan's hubby gets what's coming to him in the army. Doh!

Roger actually has a heart. "You weren't." Talk about a dagger into the heart with those 2 words.

Suzanne looked amazing in bed tonight.

Last edited by Patman; 10-25-09 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that second half was pretty amazing. Don looked destroyed when Betty told him she knew everything and his hand fell on the desk. We've never seen him completely vulnerable like that. Nice work by Jon Hamm.

So what's the over/under on how many weeks before he's cheating again?

Originally Posted by Patman
I had to re-watch Joan and vase a couple of time. You go, girl!
Someone needs to come up with an animated gif of that.
Old 10-26-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved when Roger made that remark about how a horse farm shouldn't also own a dog-food company. His delivery was awesome.

This episode should definitely go on Jon Hamm's Emmy reel. Intense. Great to see him break down about his brother's suicide. I loved how he broke it off with the teacher afterwards.
Old 10-26-09, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be interesting if they keep Joan in the series, but as a separate storyline - not a part of the Draper/Sterling-Cooper storyline....

And just remember that popular characters often were "let-go" from a series, only to start their own spin-off series. Could be what they're gearing up for the Joan character. Who'd have thought they'd shoo Charlotte Rae off Differ'rent Strokes? They both had red hair...
Old 10-26-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Who'd have thought they'd shoo Charlotte Rae off Differ'rent Strokes?

Shouldn't this be spoilered?! Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Interesting play by Betty. She still knows that she ultimately retains an ace up her sleeve in knowing that its illegal for Don to have stolen the identity. Of course, now, he can argue that she was complicit if a bunch of time goes by. She didn't seem to give indication she intends to do anything further at this time.

I thought for sure that teacher was going to ring the door bell and have a big smile on her face that would disappear in shock at the appearance of Betty. Glad they didn't do that.

The dog-food lady telling the story of her husband dying at 51 from lung cancer -- cut to Don lighting up.

Loved Joan clocking her husband. That guy is a prick.

Loved the focus group scene.
Old 10-26-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
It would be interesting if they keep Joan in the series, but as a separate storyline - not a part of the Draper/Sterling-Cooper storyline....
No, it wouldn't.
Old 10-26-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the focus group dialogue was amusing and well delivered.

"...turn it off."

" We can't, this is happening live"

"I mean the intercom"
Old 10-26-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-26-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good episode. Good acting from Jon Hamm. I think Joan's husband Greg will either get killed or disabled in Vietnam.
Old 10-26-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Shouldn't this be spoilered?! Interesting play by Betty. She still knows that she ultimately retains an ace up her sleeve in knowing that its illegal for Don to have stolen the identity. Of course, now, he can argue that she was complicit if a bunch of time goes by. She didn't seem to give indication she intends to do anything further at this time.
I don't think its an ace as she cant really prove anything. Don can produce his ex wife who will back his story. Dick's family is dead. In the age before computer records it wasn't real hard to change your identity.

The reason she confronted him was because she chose to work it out and stay with him because as the lawyer told her. She doesn't really have any other options. Plus despite his flaws its obvious she still loves him.
Old 10-26-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Roger actually has a heart. "You weren't." Talk about a dagger into the heart with those 2 words.
I think its obvious that Joan was his "one".
Old 10-26-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I loved when Roger made that remark about how a horse farm shouldn't also own a dog-food company. His delivery was awesome.

This episode should definitely go on Jon Hamm's Emmy reel. Intense. Great to see him break down about his brother's suicide. I loved how he broke it off with the teacher afterwards.
Agree on both things.

I thought this was going to be a Roger owned episode but then Jon Hamm delivered a home run. I think he's a good actor, but yesterday was really great.
Old 10-26-09, 06:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i really wasn't into the 1<sup>st</sup> half and was actually tuning in and out of my taping, then it got good...real good. that confrontation with Betty and Don was the pinnacle of 3 years and so amazing. glad i stuck around and payed attention.
Old 10-26-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Fantastic episode.

I loved seeing Don not be in control for once. He played it perfectly. The shocked expression on his face, the trembling hands and the way he just wanted to be someplace else so desperately. It really shows how this secret was something that ruled his life and how important it was for him to keep it a secret. Although I still doesn't make sense that something this earth-shattering he would just keep locked up in his desk drawer.

I don't think we ever found out until this episode if Don ever knew his step-brother killed himself. Don's break-down was great.
Old 10-26-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked this episode a lot because it showcased Jon Hamm and John Slattery. I think this season went too far along without making Roger a likable character. I really enjoyed it. Every storyline was wonderful.

Not to get off-topic, but I really noticed similarities to this show and Dexter. Both leads have new babies this season. Albeit, it really doesn't affect Don at all. Tonight, both of them were confronted by their wives about their lies. Don had to spill his guts. While Dexter got off the hook.
Old 10-26-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazing reveal with Sally running up to Don. I was like 'Holy crap!' thinking it was a dream or something.
Old 10-26-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't think we ever found out until this episode if Don ever knew his step-brother killed himself. Don's break-down was great.
Don was told the step-brother killed himself by the landlord when he tried to return that box that the step-brother mailed to him.
Old 10-26-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. This show continues to impress. The confrontation scene was my favorite moment in the entire series since the new biz pitch to Kodak from season 1.
Old 10-27-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Not to get off-topic, but I really noticed similarities to this show and Dexter. Both leads have new babies this season. Albeit, it really doesn't affect Don at all. Tonight, both of them were confronted by their wives about their lies. Don had to spill his guts. While Dexter got off the hook.
Yep, I saw the same similarities too. I always watch both shows back to back so they kinda "related" for me.
Old 10-27-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

John Hamm's physical performance in this episode was pretty amazing. He always seems so large and intimidating, but after the confrontation with Betty he seemed smaller and thinner.

Maybe it was just the angles they were shooting it from, but it reminded me of the difference between Christopher Reeves' Superman and Clark Kent.
Old 10-27-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

great performance by Hamm this week and another great ep.

If you were woman in NY you had no shot to get divorced unless you caught your husband red handed, maybe thats why the film noir and private detective was so popular back in the 30s 40s and 50s. You had to catch the guy dead to rights on film no less!

In some ways it was like a prison sentence in a loveless marriage.

Nice turning point of the series, it feels like the halfway point with this Don revelation and the Vietnam war perking in the background with Joan.
Old 10-27-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Amazing. He was so caught up in all his secrets being finally uncovered that he completely forgot about the teacher in the car. I was afraid she was going to ring the doorbell, but maybe we've seen the last of her. Incredible episode, genius acting, even the look on Don's face when Betty asked him if he wanted anything the next morning, the relief that maybe he was going to be forgiven.
Old 10-27-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
John Hamm's physical performance in this episode was pretty amazing. He always seems so large and intimidating, but after the confrontation with Betty he seemed smaller and thinner.

Maybe it was just the angles they were shooting it from, but it reminded me of the difference between Christopher Reeves' Superman and Clark Kent.
John Hamm has a All-American Jawline that he can make collapse into mush at will... its amazing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.