Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heroes Questions

***Please: NO SPOILERS!***

I've been watching Heroes since season 1 and have DVRd every episode. I stopped watching it season 3 in the middle (I think). I still have all the episodes saved up to date for the ones I haven't seen.

Recently I went back to it, I'm at the episode right now where Parkman, Mohinder, and Peter drugged Clare's dad and have him tied up in a motel room. They find out Daphne is still alive (sorry I don't remember the name of the episode).

Now up to this point, I'm pretty sure I've seen every single episode. However I'm confused by a couple points:

-What happened to Clare's boyfriend that could fly?

- What happened to Molly? I thought Parkmen and Mohinder had adopted her, but now there seems to be no mention of her ever (kinda weird since they're both on the run right now.

-Everyone just glossed over the fact that Mohinder killed some poeple?

Did I miss the part where this stuff got explained or is it just lazy writing? Please no spoilers past the episode I'm currently on.
Old 10-20-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: Heroes Questions

Lazy writing, for the most part.

The third season is a godawful mess. The storyline lurches around from week-to-week, changing itself constantly, like the writing team was doing one of those writing exercises where the class will write a story, with each student contributing a sentence or paragraph, and then moving onto the next student. The plot is muddled, and the characters change constantly for no reason.
Old 10-20-09, 11:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Icon769
:

- What happened to Molly? I thought Parkmen and Mohinder had adopted her, but now there seems to be no mention of her ever (kinda weird since they're both on the run right now.
They both show up in the graphic novels.
Old 10-20-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Casualty of the writers strike, apparently.

Molly only seems to appear when the writers want her to. Otherwise, she's a drag on the storyline. I heard that in one of the deleted scenes on the season three set that
Spoiler:
Arthur Petrelli stole her powers, and that's how he was able to track Hiro down so easily.

Lots of things get glossed over on this show. Move along... nothing to see here...
Old 10-20-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Those are some great unanswered questions (by the broadcast show), but this show has made entire plots of established characters acting out of character.

My favorite unresolved story is Peter taking that Irish lass to the plague ridden future, leaving her there, and then just forgetting about that.
Old 10-21-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The sad part is the fact when there writers are questioned about these giant holes the official response is "we've moved past that point, going back now wouldn't be a good idea"
Old 12-01-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Just started season 3 on my ps3 with the streaming disc.
just finished ep 1 and already confused, oh well.
Old 12-01-09, 09:43 PM

I really liked West (Claire's boyfriend) and Monica (Micah's cousin from New Orleans who could mimick whatevever action she witnessed). They were highlights in season 2 IMO but they left and were never heard from again, yet they decided to keep that Maya girl (I think that was her name).
Old 12-01-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, these are mostly just plot holes brought on by not just lazy, but also unthoughtful writing. I finally gave up in the middle of season 3, unable to care about the characters anymore. If you're enjoying it, stick with it, but if not, I don't think you'll be missing anything as there are more plot holes and lazy writing to come.
Old 12-01-09, 11:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Just started season 3 on my ps3 with the streaming disc.
just finished ep 1 and already confused, oh well.
Your best bet is to find the Haitian and have him wipe your memories of the show.

Last edited by MrX; 12-02-09 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-02-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking about this thread and the general unhappiness (including my own) over plot holes, time-travel cop-outs, and characters acting "out of character" and I think I've been too hard on the show. I've grown up reading comic books for 25 years and I can tell you that these major gripes are just standard practice in the superhero world. Heck, characters not really getting killed and no chance in hell meetings in back-stories are so cliche in the comic world they are not only allowed to happen, they are expected to happen.

Everything from episodes being issues and screen lettering is just a big comic book put on TV. What they should honestly do is run the series like a comic book. Each season should bring in a new head writer, someone like Whedon, Miller or Strazinski who have both comic book and tv/movie creds, to run a 12 episode arc. Take a story from beginning to end with keeping the show's original creator as a producer and script editor. Use a comic book writing team with years of practicing staying on that fine balance of fantastic-yet-believable writing.

It's going to be really hard to mix both regular TV viewers with comic book reading viewers and keep both of them happy at once. I think they should either write the show as a TV drama using rules we expect on TV or embrace the comic book style where everyone Peter Parker grew up has a pretty good chance of becoming a super villain.
Old 12-02-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I've been thinking about this thread and the general unhappiness (including my own) over plot holes, time-travel cop-outs, and characters acting "out of character" and I think I've been too hard on the show. I've grown up reading comic books for 25 years and I can tell you that these major gripes are just standard practice in the superhero world. Heck, characters not really getting killed and no chance in hell meetings in back-stories are so cliche in the comic world they are not only allowed to happen, they are expected to happen.

Everything from episodes being issues and screen lettering is just a big comic book put on TV. What they should honestly do is run the series like a comic book. Each season should bring in a new head writer, someone like Whedon, Miller or Strazinski who have both comic book and tv/movie creds, to run a 12 episode arc. Take a story from beginning to end with keeping the show's original creator as a producer and script editor. Use a comic book writing team with years of practicing staying on that fine balance of fantastic-yet-believable writing.

It's going to be really hard to mix both regular TV viewers with comic book reading viewers and keep both of them happy at once. I think they should either write the show as a TV drama using rules we expect on TV or embrace the comic book style where everyone Peter Parker grew up has a pretty good chance of becoming a super villain.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think we're being too hard on this show. Other shows that are superhero, fantasy, sci-fi or comic based have figured out how to adapt to the modern medium of millenium televison. It is different than a comic book, but it seems like the Heroes writers aren't even trying. I think a lot of us who have sat through episode after episode of three seasons of this show will be the first to say we're willing to forgive plot holes and "go with it," but this show has just let it all hang out as though they don't even care about continuity or plotlines. All the best comics have detailed bibles dedicated to keeping their universes in-tact. Heroes doesn't have so much as a pamphlet.
Old 12-02-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The writing on this show is lazy as hell, no point in trying to make sense of it.
Old 12-02-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Icon769
***Please: NO SPOILERS!***

I've been watching Heroes since season 1 and have DVRd every episode. I stopped watching it season 3 in the middle (I think). I still have all the episodes saved up to date for the ones I haven't seen.

Recently I went back to it, I'm at the episode right now where Parkman, Mohinder, and Peter drugged Clare's dad and have him tied up in a motel room. They find out Daphne is still alive (sorry I don't remember the name of the episode).

Now up to this point, I'm pretty sure I've seen every single episode. However I'm confused by a couple points:

Did I miss the part where this stuff got explained or is it just lazy writing? Please no spoilers past the episode I'm currently on.
Based on the TV shows:

Clares boyfriend- MIA
Molly- MIA
Mohinder killing people- Never been addressed
Old 12-02-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My favorite unresolved story is Peter taking that Irish lass to the plague ridden future, leaving her there, and then just forgetting about that.
oh sh*T I had completely forgot about that.
Old 12-02-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Question about the Hatian under the spoiler

Spoiler:
Was he not knocked out in primatech, when it blew up? Was it ever addressed how he got out?
Old 12-02-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Sorry hon, can't rescue you now, I got a hot deaf girl to hook up with.
Old 12-02-09, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
A Question about the Hatian under the spoiler

Spoiler:
Was he not knocked out in primatech, when it blew up? Was it ever addressed how he got out?
No, he wasn't anywhere near there the last time he was shown in that episode.
Old 12-02-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sorry hon, can't rescue you now, I got a hot deaf girl to hook up with.
Yeah, but the deaf chick can literally see fireworks when she cums...
Old 12-02-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

We're definitely NOT being too hard on Heroes. It is constantly creating plot holes and doing things that contradict a character or the character's powers. I get the argument about comic books, but this show has pretty much thumbed its nose at those conventions even while acting like it embraces them. Here's one comic book convention that they desperately need: the main villain is never in every single issue! Sylar has been around for so long that he's become more of an annoyance than a threat. Yet, he basically becomes the big bad villain every season. A far more effective tactic would have been to give his character a rest for much of season 2 -- maybe even a whole season -- and then bring him back to take on our heroes yet again. They have ruined so many great characters over the course of the series. Remember how much everyone liked Hiro and Sylar during the first season? It seems hard to find anyone who can even tolerate them now.
Old 12-02-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Sometimes you wonder if the writers even watch their own show it's so all over the map. "Dude, did you even read last week's script??"
Old 12-02-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Disneyboy
No, he wasn't anywhere near there the last time he was shown in that episode.
Apparently, he got stuck in traffic or something because he took off after Sylar at the end of the previous episode but never caught up with him. We didn't see him again for months.