Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

WOT: Book 12 "Gathering Storm" Oct.27

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
WOT: Book 12 "Gathering Storm" Oct.27

I know some will complain, but WOT is still my favorite fantasy series by far and I am so psyched to have Book 12 coming out in 8 days. I think that Sanderson is going to do fine and early buzz on the book is really strong.
Old 10-20-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: WOT: Book 12 "Gathering Storm" Oct.27

I would have been more psyched if this had been the last one like they originally planned. Now we STILL have at least two more years.... Its been 19 years since Eye of the World.
Old 10-21-09, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been rereading the series to be ready for book 12.

I have read Brandon Sanderson's other books and I like them. I think he will do a good job finishing the series.
Old 10-23-09, 10:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm going to re-read the last couple books in the series, and then pick this up. Looking forward to the conclusion!
Old 10-23-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xander
I'm going to re-read the last couple books in the series, and then pick this up. Looking forward to the conclusion!
Just to clarify that if you're planning on reading right through to the end you might not want to start yet since this new release is the 1st of 3 books with the last one not scheduled to come out until November 2011 (2nd - November 2010). So, no conclusion yet.
Old 10-24-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those like me that have completely forgotten what the hell is going on in the series, Tor.com has a blogger posting summaries/commentaries while doing a re-read. http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=...=blog&id=13372
Old 10-25-09, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Its been 19 years since Eye of the World.

19? Wow. THAT makes me feel old. Read Eye of the World upon its release when I was a junior in high school. 19 years? DAMN.

ETA: Only got through book seven or eight (can't remember which). Too much politics and focus on the book's women. The adventure that kept me riveted in the first three was nowhere to be found in the last few I read. Major props to those of you that stuck with it!
Old 10-29-09, 12:26 PM

The story definitely wandered off after book 6 (Lord of Chaos). But I think the last one (think it was Knife of Dreams?) really started getting back into focus, IMO.

Yeah, I know there's still two more books. Trying to decide what to do. I may start from the beginning and re-read the whole damn thing.
Old 11-03-09, 01:20 AM

I just finished this and it is really good.

I couldn't really tell that it was finished by someone other than Jordan. I'm looking forward to book 13 next year and book 14 (the final one) the year after.
Old 11-03-09, 07:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of year's ago I packaged up the first nine or so books, the last three of which I'd not read, and passed them on to my teenaged nephew who is an avid reader and fantasy fan. I do not intend for any author in future to get the better of me in quite that way!

For those that persisted, I wish you well in your continuing journey and hope that no-one is left feeling screwed exploited by Jordan's Estate.
Old 11-04-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by old_mate
I just finished this and it is really good.

I couldn't really tell that it was finished by someone other than Jordan. I'm looking forward to book 13 next year and book 14 (the final one) the year after.
So in other words, there was still plenty of braid pulling, skirt smoothing, and lots of blood and bloody ashes??
Old 11-04-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wolf359
So in other words, there was still plenty of braid pulling, skirt smoothing, and lots of blood and bloody ashes??

You also forgot sniffing. I'm pretty sure there were a couple characters who never left a scene with sniffing. Then they probably smoothed their skirts or adjusted a shift.
Old 11-20-09, 01:34 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The Book is EXTREMELY good, and easily the best book since Lord of Chaos. There are many surprises and a good number of pretty big plot threads got resolved. Selecting Sanderson was a terrific move, and the last 2 books will only get better. The best fantasy series ever returns triumphantly.
Old 11-20-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, price is down to $11.75 at Amazon for this.
Old 11-28-09, 05:10 PM

I got done reading it yesterday. Overall, I give the book a 7.5/10. It was WILDLY uneven at times and the characters would slip in and out of their natural "voices," but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a feeling that Sanderson spent much of his time on these first 400,000 words trying to copy Jordan's style (or perhaps there were segments of this that Jordan himself had written), but towards the end, you could tell that Sanderson finally found his narrative voice and really, REALLY banged out the last 200 pages or so. And the ending? I really don't think he could've ended it on a better note that has me cursing the 12 month wait til the next volume is released.

As johnnysd mentioned, this is easily the best book since Lord of Chaos, even besting Knife of Dreams. Hell, Sanderson made me enjoy the White Tower storyline, something even Jordan had lost me on sometime back. My only real complaint of the book is that Sanderson did NOT keep his word. He promised that in the first 20 pages, Asmodean's killer would be revealed. This did not happen.
Old 12-21-10, 11:08 AM

Superbump -

Finally got around to finishing this yesterday. Great stuff! I think Sanderson is doing a great job with the material. Some excellent "wrap-ups" to some loooooooong plot lines and some great action too.

Spoiler:

The fight at the White Tower was pretty damn epic! Was glad Elaida was carried off by the Seanchan. Can't help wondering if we'll run into her again.

Starting in on book 13 now. Can't wait for the conclusion!
Old 12-23-10, 10:33 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The "superbump" reminds me that it's almost time for my marathon reading of this series. I got up to book 5 years ago and gave up. Now that a definite end is in sight, it's game on for 2011. I'm glad to hear the Sanderson's contribution is good.
Old 01-04-11, 01:23 PM

It'll definitely slow down during books 8-10, IMO. Those are the weakest point of the series. But 11 starts to ramp things up again, and both of Brandon's books were really good. Can't wait for the final book!