Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Stepfather (2009) -- Comments/Reviews Thread -- Dylan Walsh/Penn Badgley

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Stepfather?
Loved it...bring on the DVD or Blu Ray
0%
Thought it was good
0%
Thought it was so-so
33.33%
Hated it
22.22%
Refuse to see it. I hate remakes
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Photobucket

Premise:

Michael Harding (Penn Badgley) returns home from military school to find his mother Susan (Sela Ward), happily in love with a man known as David Harris (Dylan Walsh). He seems like the perfect father and husband to everyone - except Michael, who suspects that he isn't quite the man he seems to be.

Along with his girlfriend Kelly (Amber Heard), his biological father Jay (Jon Tenney), and Susan’s friends (Paige Turco and Sherry Stringfield), they slowly start to piece together the mystery of the man who is set to become his stepfather, but they may be too late in getting to the truth.

Trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki5GyO0tRWc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki5GyO0tRWc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Starring:
Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tick)
Penn Badgeley (Gossip Girl)
Sela Ward (Once and Again, House, The Day After Tomorrow)
Jon Tenney (The Closer)

So, who's going to check this out? Despite it being a PG-13 thriller, I'm actually really looking forward to this. It has a pretty good cast for what is essentially a B movie. Probably going to go later today or tomorrow.
Old 10-16-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: The Stepfather (2009) -- Comments/Reviews Thread -- Dylan Walsh/Penn Badgley

Amber Heard is very pretty, but Jill Schoelen from the original still has her beat.
Old 10-16-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Stepfather (2009) -- Comments/Reviews Thread -- Dylan Walsh/Penn Badgley

This looks absolutely terrible. And not fun terrible, just un-engaging terrible
Old 10-16-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this'll be bad, but my gf and I are still going to see it because we love the original.

I heard a rumor Terry O'Quinn has a small cameo...
Old 10-16-09, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

KillerC, Does he? Gonna catch this on Blu.
Old 10-16-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the great O'Quinn is in there, I didn't see him.

I don't think he makes a cameo.
Old 10-16-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People are actually going to pay to see this drivel.

This actually looks worse than the standard horse shit foisted upon the horror film community.
Old 10-16-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
KillerC, Does he? Gonna catch this on Blu.
Do you watch anything in the theatre at all?
Old 10-16-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
People are actually going to pay to see this drivel.

This actually looks worse than the standard horse shit foisted upon the horror film community.
Yeah I am more than willing to see this in the theatre. Was a little busy today, but will check it out tomorrow.

Personally, I like B horror/suspense thrillers and this looks like it.

I know Brian O ripped this to shreads in his review, but I thought the Prom Night update (don't consider it a remake) which was also directed by McCormick was also an entertaining B movie.
Old 10-16-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

8% RT
Old 10-17-09, 01:31 AM

I really want to go see it. The previews reminded me a little bit of Disturbia which was an awesome movie in my opinion. Hopefully I get a chance to go see it.
Old 10-17-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Dylan Walsh looks alright in it and I'm a sucker for Amber Heard, but I imagine this will be at the dollar theaters soon enough.

At least this film did its remake duty and brought about an SE of the original on DVD. Several recent remakes (like The Hitcher) failed to do this and I was afraid the trend was dying.
Old 10-17-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you've seen the trailer then you've seen it all. Predictable, cheap "scares", too long...basically could have been a Lifetime Channel movie. Even the girl I went with (who doesn't like horror movies but likes suspense thrillers) was thoroughly disappointed.

Some tweens in the theater were screaming in a few parts, so if you're 13 and looking for a "safe psuedo-horror" at the theater, then it might be fun. Otherwise avoid. I'd rather see the Bloody Valentine remake than this again (and that sucked).

Oh but the "blonde" girl (Amanda Heard? don't know her) was in a bikini through most of the movie for all you pervs. Some girl near me blurted out "damn girl, how many bikinis do you own?!" lol

Last edited by naitram; 10-17-09 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dylan Walsh wasn't bad. He played the type decently... but this thing suffers from PG-13 syndrome for sure. Some of the weakest killings I've ever seen on film.
Old 10-17-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Saw this tonight and would give it a solid "C" mainly for Dylan Walsh's performance. Thought he did a very admirable job playing Grady/David and made the character quite creepy.

Other than that, I thought the movie was hurt creatively by being PG-13. The Kills were pretty tame and could probably be in the realm of Made for TV Basic Cable. One of the scenes from the trailer that involved the saw and Amber Heard was actually cut from the movie. I love Sela Ward, but she was pretty much relegated to being the naive Mom who doesn't have a clue on what's going on. A pretty thankless part for such a good actress.

One part of the movie that just came out of left field was the reveal that:

Spoiler:

Paige Turco who played Sela Ward's sister and Sherry Stringfield were Lesbian lovers. I was like Huh?

You could really tell that Screen Gems was really gearing this movie for the Teen-20-something Gossip Girl audience for Penn Badgely. Lots of music cues with Cool hip music and for the horny guys there were lots of scenes with Amber Heard prancing around in skimpy bikinis and in her bra and panties. Pretty much most of the people watching the film in the theatre I went to were Young Teen Girls and Boys.

I thought it was a watchable glorified B movie. I would only recommend this if you have not seen the original because you will be really disappointed and this really pales in comparison.

Frankly, I would not be surprised at all if:

Spoiler:

Sony greenlights a DTV sequel produced by Stage 6 films, their low budget DTV film division in 6 months to 1 year. Considering the film left it open for a sequel. If so, I would anticipate Walsh being replaced.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-17-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I just saw this today. It's certainly not a great flick but we both found it to be pretty entertaining.
Old 10-23-09, 03:09 PM

I don't know this movie seems so formulaic and doesn't seem like anything special...I am not running to watch it in the theater or to rent it..
Old 10-23-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fernsita
I don't know this movie seems so formulaic and doesn't seem like anything special...I am not running to watch it in the theater or to rent it..
It's not a great movie by any means. I gave it a C in my comment above. But, regarding your comment, couldn't that be said for any horror/suspense movie in general? I mean what movie in this genre have you seen recently that really differentiated itself?
Old 10-24-09, 03:34 AM

With the exception of Cronenberg's "The Fly", I've hated every other remake I've seen, so I generally avoid any newer ones at all costs. The extremely poor reviews also don't help either. I'll wait till it comes out on showtime.
Old 10-24-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emachine
With the exception of Cronenberg's "The Fly", I've hated every other remake I've seen
I'm going to assume you had a temporary lapse of reason and forgot about The Thing
Old 10-29-09, 03:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

It was competently made I guess, but nothing memorable or worth watching again. I'd skip it in hindsight.