Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Need some advice on how to sell my collection.

Jaymole
10-12-09, 02:33 PM
Hi

I stopped collecting comics about 16 years ago and I am now thinking of selling my collection. I am completely out of space in my apartment and although my wife hasn't complained about the 180 boxes of comics, she would love to see them go......and I could also really use the money:)

I have around 18,000 books, but regretably only about 1,500 to 2,000 are from the late 50's to the early 70's. The vast majority are from the late 80's and early 90's. The later stuff is all NM+ as I was extremely picky and kept everything in mylars or bags & boards. The silver age stuff is mostly in the fine to very fine/NM- grades.

Now I know the later stuff isn't worth much, but I am not sure how to go about maximizing the amount of money I can get. Is there any way I can sell this as one big lot and make some decent money, or is my only hope of finding a buyer is just sell the old stuff and make firewood out of the 16,000 newer comics? What price do you think I could get on ebay if I sell all 18,000 in one lot?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Navinabob
10-14-09, 02:05 AM
Honestly pull your top 5% from your 80s to 90s run to sell on Ebay as singles, bundle your older books and sell them as groups like "15 book Daredevil lot from between 50 and 100" on Ebay, then call around for stores that buy boxes by the pound.

boredsilly
10-14-09, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I would go through and pull the books that go for some decent change, like $30 or better. Then sell any runs you have eBay.

Do you have any children or nieces and nephews? If so, this might be a good project you can hand off to them for a portion of the profits. Listing that many ebay auctions will be a pain in your ass, and ultimately may not be worth your time.

Jaymole
10-14-09, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I would go through and pull the books that go for some decent change, like $30 or better. Then sell any runs you have eBay.

Do you have any children or nieces and nephews? If so, this might be a good project you can hand off to them for a portion of the profits. Listing that many ebay auctions will be a pain in your ass, and ultimately may not be worth your time.

I don't have any children or nieces or nephews. I wish I did as I would love to pass some of these on to them.

I see some people are able to sell some 9.8 cgc comics from the late 80's and early 90's of key issues...not sure if I should take a chance and send some of these issues in to be graded. I definitely have stuff in great condition, but I have no idea how to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8.

boredsilly
10-14-09, 01:28 PM
Another option for you is to bind some of your runs. I've seen bound runs of comics go for INSANE amounts of money on ebay. You can bind comics relatively cheaply (Library Binding charges $15 a volume). It's all a gamble, but if you bind the right runs, you could see a ridiculous return on your investment. Bound runs of the 80s GI Joe have gone for 100s of dollars.

dx23
10-14-09, 06:33 PM
Although I'm completely against the professional grading business, this is one situation I could recommend using it if you have a good amount of comics from the 50s and 60s. It could triple the prize of the items you are going to sell.