Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Fringe -- "Momentum Deferred" -- 10/08/09

Fringe 2

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

While the Fringe division is alerted to a crime spree that's connected to the shape-shifters, Walter cooks up a prescription to help Olivia recall the details of her meeting with William Bell (Leonard Nimoy), and another subject of Walter's past experiments emerges.

Really looking forward to this one and Nimoy's return to the show.
Old 10-08-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Fringe -- "Momentum Deferred" -- 10/08/09

Interview with Nimoy about his role on Fringe:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3548

Leonard Nimoy isn’t a stranger to television. He’s crafted one of the most iconic characters in the history of science fiction in Spock from STAR TREK. Obviously that same character carried over to the films – most recently even in the re-imagining of STAR TREK on the big screen.

But after STAR TREK’s demise, Nimoy went on to yet another fan-favorite series playing Paris in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE.

But he isn’t shying away from getting involved in yet another fan favorite in FRINGE – a series where he made his debut in the first season finale as the mysterious William Bell, a character living in an alternate universe.

Nimoy said what attracted him to doing the show was the creators. “J.J. Abrams, Bob Orci, and Alex Kurtzman, who I worked with on the STAR TREK movie, I admire their talent and the work that they do,” says Nimoy. “The series is at the very least to say intriguing. The character was somewhat of a blank slate, but we began talking about it and, therefore, [I was] attracted because there’s an opportunity to build an interesting and unpredictable character. I’m enjoying it a lot.”

Nimoy’s character of William Bell returns on tonight’s episode of FRINGE, where he helps Olivia (played by Anna Torv) discover the missing pieces to her memory after traveling back to her own universe from Bell’s.

Nimoy gave us a bit of what to expect from “Momentum Deferred” airing on Fox at 9 p.m. “In the episode tomorrow night, the scene in between myself and Olivia, I think we will learn a lot more than we have known in the past about what their relationship is all about and what William Bell’s intentions are, or at least we will be told what his intentions are,” Nimoy says. “We’re not really quite sure that everything that he says is accurate or true.”

And Nimoy isn’t shy either about explaining who Bell is and why he’s in the alternate universe. “William Bell is sort of a ‘master of the universe,’ a brilliant man, very wealthy man, very powerful,” he says. “We’ll find out a lot more about him in future episodes.”

One of the major moments from season one was the revelation that Peter Bishop (played by Joshua Jackson) was not the Peter of this universe but of the alternate universe that Walter (played by John Noble) had gone to the other universe to retrieve after his Peter died. That implies there is a second Walter as well. Does that also mean there are two William Bells?

Nimoy is coy in his answer. “I don’t think I can really answer that question very specifically right now,” he says. “I think the most important thing is that tomorrow night we will get a sense of what his relationship is with Olivia. It’s very intriguing and very intense moments that take place tomorrow night, and the rest remains to be seen. I’m expecting that I probably will be going back to work for them before too much longer.”
Old 10-08-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Poor shapeshifting Charlie! Guess he was "fired". That was a cool episode. Lots of decent reveals.
Old 10-08-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else been catching the Leonard Nimoy references?? They mentioned Invasion of the Body Snatchers and then Dr. Kibner and a character saying...Fascinating.
Old 10-09-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Cool ep. Poor Chuck. Anyway, Man oh man! When Olivia
Spoiler:
shifts back and forth it's friggin awesome!
Old 10-09-09, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved when Olivia referred to the two Body Snatchers films by their director's names (Siegel & Kaufman).
Old 10-09-09, 06:46 AM
ATX

Lance Reddick has horrible eyes

and wow I haven't seen Curtis since Jack executed him
Old 10-09-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Poor shapeshifting Charlie! Guess he was "fired".
So, has anyone figured out what it takes to kill a shapeshifter? They seem to take a lot of bullet damage, but eventually die. Is it cumulative damage, or does it take a certain critical shot?
Old 10-09-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

seemed like the head shot is what finally took both shapeshifters down.
Old 10-09-09, 11:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

There is always alternate-dimension Charlie!
Old 10-09-09, 12:41 PM

I really liked this episode. It absolved some gripes I had with previous episodes this season.
Old 10-09-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Very strong episode. Got some answers although I'm not exactly sure what questions they were answering. So do we finally have an answer on Pacey? He's a shape shifter but doesn't know it? Or was is that she could just see people from the other side regardless of whether they were shifters or not?
Old 10-09-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Very strong episode. Got some answers although I'm not exactly sure what questions they were answering. So do we finally have an answer on Pacey? He's a shape shifter but doesn't know it? Or was is that she could just see people from the other side regardless of whether they were shifters or not?
I am assuming since we have never seen Pacy crave mercury he isn't a shape shifter... I think she can see people from the other side.
Old 10-09-09, 03:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Theresa Russell still has it!
Old 10-09-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
I am assuming since we have never seen Pacy crave mercury he isn't a shape shifter... I think she can see people from the other side.
She did specifically state that she could see people who did not belong. So, I'm assuming it is anyone who is from the alt-universe, be they shapeshifter or not.
Old 10-09-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I thought we already knew the deal with Peter. The Peter from this reality died, and Walter grabbed this Peter from another reality. No shape-shifting. He was just taken.
Old 10-09-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I really liked this episode. It absolved some gripes I had with previous episodes this season.
Figures. I went with 'The Office' this week (not that I regret that decision). The previews looked like it wouldn't be a filler episode but it would have worked out better for my decision if it was.
Old 10-09-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
So, has anyone figured out what it takes to kill a shapeshifter? They seem to take a lot of bullet damage, but eventually die. Is it cumulative damage, or does it take a certain critical shot?
Jack Bauer
Old 10-10-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Very solid episode.

Definitely filled in alot of blanks from the season finale onwards. So, Olivia's recollection of her meeting with Bell was triggered by the concoction that Walter gave her and the bell that Peter hit. Bell gave alot of information on what is in store. Bell said he pulled Olivia out of a moving car, but I don't seem to recall that. I remember in the season finale Olivia just entered an elevator and all of the sudden she ended up in the other dimension unless they purposely left that hole to be explained now.

Well, that was a good run for Kirk Acevedo. I assume now we will be seeing more of Agent Jessup in future episodes.

Yeah the glow that Theresa Russell was seeing around Peter was because he's from the other dimension as mentioned before not because he's a shape shifter.

Really enjoyed Nimoy's appearance.
Old 10-10-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bell said he pulled Olivia out of a moving car, but I don't seem to recall that. I remember in the season finale Olivia just entered an elevator and all of the sudden she ended up in the other dimension unless they purposely left that hole to be explained now.
that's what i was confused about, too. when we saw her "cross over" she was in the elevator and then in the other dimension. at least that's what i got from watching it.
Old 10-10-09, 10:09 AM

If you go back and re-watch the season finale, you will see that there is a flash of light when Olivia has the accident. I think everything after that, including her waiting in the restaurant, takes place in the other universe.
Old 10-10-09, 08:00 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

great episode, show is moving along at the right speed
Old 10-10-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Sister in law watched the last 15 minutes of this with me tonight, had never seen an ep, but saw enough she wants to go back and watch all the way through season 1.
Old 10-11-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As an "exposition episode" it was okay, filling in some blanks, making confirmations, adding to potential avenues.

I guess its the kind of ep a mythology show has to do every now and then, but, like on Lost, X-Files, etc, I personally prefer episodes that weave mythology/character/monster of the week business rather than push one element. I just find that balancing act more entertaining.

I'm just glad his name wasn't "William Gong."
Old 10-12-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Momentum - I don't recall any car during her initial jump to EarthTwo. If there was, I missed it. But if there wasn't, then perhaps her momentum debt was due to her initially coming from a moving elevator?

I spotted the Observer this week. Honest.
Spoiler:
We looked over his shoulder as Olivia met Charlie outside of the Massive Dynamic building.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.