Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

TGM
10-06-09, 05:21 AM
Just curious, and if so, why? is it a sight-unseen issue, or would you still not buy used even if you got the chance to inspect every last detail of the disc/package?

riotinmyskull
10-06-09, 05:45 AM
i've never bought used...but i probably would if it was something that was OOP and i could inspect every last detail.

EdTheRipper
10-06-09, 06:19 AM
I buy used occasionally.

bsmith
10-06-09, 06:29 AM
I sell used but I can only think of one thing I ever bought used. At least with the online used places I have checked out, the prices aren't that much better then what it can be had for new if you wait for good bargains. I generally try to wait for at least 50% off list price before purchasing new.

Brian Shannon
10-06-09, 07:40 AM
I have not and never will

SanityRemoved
10-06-09, 07:52 AM
The B&M used I normally see are never at a price point that makes me jump. Even if the original owner treated the case kindly, they seem to get beat up in the stores. A defective dvd return can result in a movie I really don't want or store credit which I would rather do with out.

Dane
10-06-09, 08:21 AM
Buy used very often. All of items Ive received are like "brand new" . So why not save a lot of money...

BullGooseLoony
10-06-09, 09:22 AM
I bought used twice: the first time it was the "Shawn Michaels: Boyhood Dream" DVD because it was $6.99, and I knew it would be a fun watch and that I wouldn't end up keeping it, and the second time was WrestleMania 16, because despite the $30 price tag, it was very out of print, and I thought better this than nothing. I returned it for a few weeks later when I couldn't get past the fact that $30 is a lot to spend on 2 discs, used.

I ended up getting it new for my birthday, anyway. :)

clckworang
10-06-09, 09:28 AM
I think the only times that I have ever bought used were for OOP titles. Otherwise, I tend to always buy new. Many times when I see used prices, I just don't think the prices are good enough to warrant not buying new. Then again, I don't even have a good used place in my area.

dkedvd
10-06-09, 09:34 AM
50% of my collection is used. I never pay more than $5.00 for a title and $10.00 for a Season or set. So I buy used all the time. I have NEVER had any problems with the thousand + used DVDs I own. Why? Because I check everyone before I buy it. I open it up and if it has even the smallest scratch I do not buy. There should never be a problem buying used as long as you first check your merchandise. I have 3 local Pawnshops that sell their used titles for only $2.99, and they are always having sales. Right now it is but two get one free, that's $2.00 a piece.

SterlingBen
10-06-09, 09:46 AM
No, I have worked with some dirty hippies before, the kind that sell dvds in order to buy weed. And these people do not wash their hands, ever.

So no, I never buy used DVDs and if I did I would have to re-case it immediately.

Also on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?

dkedvd
10-06-09, 09:53 AM
NAlso on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?

"New"? As in was in theaters a month or two ago? Or do you mean 2 years and back titles that go on sale?

DvDDan
10-06-09, 09:54 AM
No, I have worked with some dirty hippies before, the kind that sell dvds in order to buy weed. And these people do not wash their hands, ever.

So no, I never buy used DVDs and if I did I would have to re-case it immediately.

Also on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?

buy non hippie used dvds

JohnnyDaBull
10-06-09, 10:44 AM
Never bought used. I did once receive something in the mail that appeared to be re shrinkedwrapped, but had I no way to prove it and was in excellent condition.

SterlingBen
10-06-09, 10:46 AM
buy non hippie used dvds

And that would be the point, you never know. Maybe it used to belong to a dirty hippy, or someone who likes to read the back cover in the bath room or maybe some guy who likes the feeling of DVD case on his taint.

SethDLH
10-06-09, 11:13 AM
I buy used all the time. There are too many titles I want that are OOP and don't want to pay the ridiculous price for a still sealed copy. When I buy online I only go with sellers that have exceptional feedback and when I buy in a store I always inspect the disc

starseed1981
10-06-09, 11:39 AM
I buy used all the time. As long as they don't have stickers or residue or anything along those lines I'm totally cool with used. Hell, half of my Blu-Ray collection is from this forums trading section.

Solid Snake
10-06-09, 11:47 AM
I have not and never will

GoldenWheels
10-06-09, 11:57 AM
Absolutely hate to but there have been a few deals where I have made exceptions.

dkedvd
10-06-09, 12:19 PM
Wow. I cannot believe how many people on here hate to buy used. I figured it would be a rather popular option. Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous. I can get 4 or more used movies for that price if I wait a month after the release. Pawn shops are the best for this. They usually have a set price for all DVDs (or at least the ones I have been to do). I cant tell you how many week old 3 disc special collection edition titles I have picked up for $5.00 or less at my local pawn shops. Though why people buy these and sell them so quickly is beyond me. Though I suspect they stole them and took them to the pawn shop for the cash. Ohh well... Works in my favor. :) I buy used from movie rental stores all the time as well. 4 for $20.00 on titles that are only a few months old. Cant beat that.

nemein
10-06-09, 12:52 PM
Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous.

If you are patient and wait for sales, or have the time/interest (which I don't) and do the "clubs" right, you shouldn't be paying anywhere near $20 (at least for a single movie -- TV series and special box sets are different), and rarely even in the $10 range. Overall though I'm w/ you, the 4 for $20 or 5 for $25 BBV recently had I'll usually find enough titles to put together to make it worth while (this last time was a stretch though, I've just run out of catalog titles I'm interested in having). When I do buy used though I generally try to buy it from a store/someone w/ a return policy (fortunately I haven't had to use it yet). Only when I really want something and no one else has it will I buy something from an individual.

clckworang
10-06-09, 12:54 PM
Wow. I cannot believe how many people on here hate to buy used. I figured it would be a rather popular option. Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous. I can get 4 or more used movies for that price if I wait a month after the release. Pawn shops are the best for this. They usually have a set price for all DVDs (or at least the ones I have been to do). I cant tell you how many week old 3 disc special collection edition titles I have picked up for $5.00 or less at my local pawn shops. Though why people buy these and sell them so quickly is beyond me. Though I suspect they stole them and took them to the pawn shop for the cash. Ohh well... Works in my favor. :) I buy used from movie rental stores all the time as well. 4 for $20.00 on titles that are only a few months old. Cant beat that.

If you wait a month or so after release date, most titles start getting really good sale prices anyway. I don't mind paying a bit more for a title if I know I'm the first owner and that it should be in perfect working condition without any disc inspection necessary.

dkedvd
10-06-09, 01:15 PM
I don't mind paying a bit more for a title if I know I'm the first owner and that it should be in perfect working condition without any disc inspection necessary.

LOL. Ohh I get it... This isn't about the fact that it is used. Its just people are too damn lazy to inspect a disc. Ha! I should have known. :lol:

MR Round
10-06-09, 01:17 PM
I buy used from amazon all the time and Ive never had a problem I also buy from video stores all the time as well

GenPion
10-06-09, 01:37 PM
I buy used titles frequently. It doesn't bother me much at all. Sometimes a case's condition isn't the best but then I do have cheap replacement DVD/Blu-ray cases I keep in order to switch the occasional mishap out. Most of the time Used titles I get are in very good to like new condition so why pay 3 to 4 times as much for some shrink-wrap? No thanks. If I can save money by buying used, I will. However, I do prefer buying new titles but will only purchase them when they are reasonably priced/on sale. To me $20 is easily way to much for any single movie on Blu-ray, so I've only made a handful of exceptions, and that's ridiculously high for a new DVD - I'd pay $10 tops, but that's extremely rare (honestly I think mainly Criterion's are worth that much to me). I average probably around $5 on all my DVD's/HD DVD's and $10 on Blu-ray's... and that can be on new titles.

Bottom line, however, is that I'll buy used if it can save me money. That's what it comes down to for me. I want the films and a nice collection and saving money on every title I get helps me to actually get more which increases my enjoyment of collecting.

Anyone that did not take advantage of the recent $6 Blu-ray's from GoHastings because they were used (in like new condition) is just being silly IMHO.

mike07
10-06-09, 01:47 PM
At least 50% of my collection was used. The way I look at it, every DVD once opened will be considered in "used condition." When I buy from video rental stores I ask to inspect the discs, and like someone else mentioned, if there's just one little scratch I don't buy it.

dkedvd
10-06-09, 01:55 PM
Anyone that did not take advantage of the recent $6 Blu-ray's from GoHastings because they were used (in like new condition) is just being silly IMHO.
Gotta say that is one thing I'll never do. Buy used off line. I need to be able to inspect the DVD first.

darkhawk
10-06-09, 02:19 PM
I've never bought a used dvd from places like Blockbusters. I've bought about 20 from pawn shops. The main ones I found were the old OOP Sony WS/FS flippers

clckworang
10-06-09, 02:30 PM
LOL. Ohh I get it... This isn't about the fact that it is used. Its just people are too damn lazy to inspect a disc. Ha! I should have known. :lol:

I wouldn't say it's laziness, but I'd rather wait for a good deal online somewhere like Amazon and possibly pay a bit more for it new rather than go through discs at a pawn shop or rental store and be at the mercy of the inventory they have on hand and feel the need to inspect the discs for scratches. Especially where I live, it's not likely I'd find too many of the titles that I'm interested in anyway. I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs rather than looking for them.

Kurtie Dee
10-06-09, 02:33 PM
I picked up <i>Rescue Dawn</i> as a used renter from my local video store, with a <i>black-and-white xeroxed cover</i>! Now I know I am the lowest of the low. :)

gotrice487
10-06-09, 02:36 PM
I only buy used if it is something that is OOP

Cactus Jack
10-06-09, 02:55 PM
I buy used more often than new.

mike07
10-06-09, 07:37 PM
Gotta say that is one thing I'll never do. Buy used off line. I need to be able to inspect the DVD first.

I prefer to do all my DVD shopping in-person at a brick & mortar store but have bought a few from FamilyVideo.com, great service and clean discs. I was tempted to order some used titles from GoHastings.com but the shipping costs (sometimes twice as much as the DVDs themselves) were too steep for me to jump aboard. I've only bought DVDs from one pawn shop, but browsed in a couple different shops.

NoirFan
10-06-09, 07:45 PM
I'll purchase used titles if they're OOP, but otherwise never.

calhoun07
10-06-09, 08:08 PM
I've purchased used on rare occasion for OOP and hard to find stuff when I could use something like amazon.com and I relied on the seller's rating. I've bought a random PRP title from Blockbuster from time to time as well. I got Chicago 10 and The Edukators for 3.99 each and the discs were in pristine condition. The best thing about my taste in movies is the used product I do seek out is usually in great shape.

dkedvd
10-06-09, 08:35 PM
I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs rather than looking for them.

The hunt is half the fun! :johnwoo2:

BrIaNMeRcY
10-06-09, 08:45 PM
I for one think that buying used is an excellent way to save a couple of bucks. If I can find a sealed copy for a reasonable price, I'll buy a sealed copy instead. I have purchased several of used copies of OOP WWF/WWE on eBay. Although I can't visualy inspect the disc before buying it, I make sure to inspect it the minite I receive the item. Everytime, the case and disc came in like new condition. I'm statisified 110% of the time. Thankfully, people keep the case and disc(s) in excellent condition to insure themselves in the event if they have to sell it.

zombeaner
10-06-09, 08:46 PM
I have probably close to 2000 DVDs I bought used. I have no problem buying used AT ALL.

orangerunner
10-07-09, 01:21 AM
I find many of the used CD/DVD stores in Vancouver want the same price or more for used older DVDs.

Why buy a used "Carrie" for $7.99 when I can buy it at Wal-Mart for $4.99 brand new? They seriously need to sharpen their pencils or at least keep tabs on what the current prices are. It's no longer 2003.

Sometimes I'll buy DVD from the local video store for $9.99 when the stores are selling the new copies for $18.99. The discs are guaranteed and most have only been rented a couple of times.

ReduxGuy
10-07-09, 01:51 AM
I only buy used if the price is good and after a thorough check of the discs (at places like Goodwill and Half Price Books).

For example, I got the Peckinpah set (with The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett...) for 9.99 today at a Salvation Army.

oldboy87
10-07-09, 07:22 AM
I picked up <i>Rescue Dawn</i> as a used renter from my local video store, with a <i>black-and-white xeroxed cover</i>! Now I know I am the lowest of the low. :)

No sir, you are not: I bought an ex-rental copy of The Sentinel at a flea market without a cover for a buck.

drmar35mm
10-07-09, 10:17 AM
Most of my buying this year has been used, since there are relatively few good deals out there for new DVDs. I particularly like buying at Blockbuster and Half Price, but also from Amazon and the occasional garage sale. Average cost per disc is $3; what's not to like about that? However, I do examine each disc and make sure it's not too marked up. Most recent DVD players seem to be able to handle slightly scratched discs, so why not save some $ and buy used? I guess I'm no purist.

clckworang
10-07-09, 10:29 AM
The hunt is half the fun! :johnwoo2:

I used to think that way back in the earliest days of DVD. Now I just want the convenience that my Amazon Prime membership gives me. I don't particularly like going shopping anyway.

But just because I don't scour pawn shops and rental places for used discs doesn't mean I don't still go on the hunt. Only now I keep my eyes open for any good deals.

Trevor
10-07-09, 11:20 AM
Used copy with ripped case and loose scratched disc

=

pristine new copy with perfect slipcover and unblemished disc.

I sort of understand the people who feel differently, as I'm OCD about some stuff obviously, and I prefer pristine of course. But if the price is cheaper or its the only copy of something I want, I'll take the very used copy with no hesitation.

And I'm getting closer to the point where I'm going to throw away all my packaging and cases. DVDs can go in binders or on spindles, and all be ripped to hard drives.

Drake
10-07-09, 12:13 PM
I find many of the used CD/DVD stores in Vancouver want the same price or more for used older DVDs.

Why buy a used "Carrie" for $7.99 when I can buy it at Wal-Mart for $4.99 brand new? They seriously need to sharpen their pencils or at least keep tabs on what the current prices are. It's no longer 2003.

Sometimes I'll buy DVD from the local video store for $9.99 when the stores are selling the new copies for $18.99. The discs are guaranteed and most have only been rented a couple of times.

I have seen Carrie at Big Lots for $3 !

You are right about sharpening their pencils I have seen on many occasions Used DVDs at Newbury Comics priced higher than new ones and they will be right next to each other on the shelf the new one will be $5.99 and then $7.99 Used.

outlander78
10-07-09, 01:49 PM
I don't buy used online, as you never know what you are going to get.

From time to time I buy used from Blockbuster. The boxes are clean, and they will replace on that doesn't play, which is my actual concern.

These days, with older movies being marked down and often packaged 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1 I see less reason to buy used.

I bought a 2:1 at a pharmacy the other day - Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Great buy at $9, in my opinoin, as the two used at Blockbuster would have cost more.

visitor Q
10-07-09, 02:26 PM
I have seen on many occasions Used DVDs at Newbury Comics priced higher than new ones and they will be right next to each other on the shelf the new one will be $5.99 and then $7.99 Used.

Sad, but that is so true. Need to be very careful shopping in that place.

OT - no problem buying used. Prefer it as long as the savings > $5 per disc. Will not buy used online unless it's OOP. Will not buy used if the package is roughed up (wear isn't a problem), has a rental sticker, there's a floater or if it's a by a certain distributor (Criterion for example).

milo bloom
10-07-09, 03:51 PM
The hunt is half the fun!

Exactly!

We've recently gotten into Doctor Who, new and classic, and there's a used shop we go to that seems to have new classic titles every other week. I bought 5-6 titles the last time we were there.

I'd say 75-80% of my nearly 1000 DVDs are used. I always check the disc, and even if it's scuffed, most places now have buffing machines that they'll do for free at time of purchase. If the case is scuffed, but the actual paper cover is okay, I'll still buy cause I just trim it to fit in a slim case to save shelf space.

The only thing is boxsets, they're harder for me to buy because of the damage, but even then if it's only a tiny scuff or something I'll just put it on my shelf with that towards the wall.

brayzie
10-07-09, 04:03 PM
Usually I only buy used if it's OOP.

Other than that I prefer to buy new because I want to ensure that there's not even the slightest scratch to make it skip when watching it.

Alan Smithee
10-07-09, 05:29 PM
I NEVER buy used for the purpose of saving money- I've gotten a lot of brand-new discs for LESS than what they cost used elsewhere! Someone said they got "The Edukators" used for $4, well I got it NEW at Big Lots for $3! I'm obsessive and want to keep every part of the packaging, and know when the discs has been touched and played. I didn't buy used laserdiscs either until the format started being phased out, and discovered the fun of discs made in the early 80s.

MrFleharty
10-07-09, 05:36 PM
I recently started getting some discs used from amazon sellers...but usually i want them to be "like new" condition. I did get the movie 2 for the money from a seller brand new with stickers and wrapped and everything for 89 cents from a seller...got The Rock Criterion collection for 8 bucks used, but good condition...Sometimes I am dissapointed with the case, but i can always swap it out. My biggest problem was with a copy of the Almost Famous bootleg cut...took me a while to get it...i originally bought from ebay for like fourty dollars...the dang thing froze up at the tiny dancer secen...got my money back got one from someone else for a little more, but the box and disc were in beautiful condition...and this one came with the enclosed stillwater CD as well.

camwar
10-07-09, 05:48 PM
75% or more of my collection was bought used. I have only had a problem once with a scratched disc. Theres no way I can afford to buy all the movies I want new. I don't care where they came from before I got them as long as there in good shape and play perfect. I'll keep saving money by buying used!

Torchur317
10-07-09, 06:07 PM
I'm all about buying used, it allows me to buy more stuff....

MTRodaba2468
10-07-09, 06:20 PM
I've bought quite a bit used. Very rarely have I been disappointed.

JerryKILL
10-08-09, 05:57 PM
I found a stash of pot in a DVD at a pawn shop, apparently it was not checked before putting on the racks. I pointed this out to the cashier and we got a good laugh out of it. I think it was one of those Anchor Bay Hammer Collection discs.

Rocketdog2000
10-08-09, 09:53 PM
Count me among those who only buy used if it's something OOP, too. Either that, or if it's one hell of a deal.

Xiroteus
10-09-09, 03:31 AM
I buy used ALL the time, the pawn shop has DVD's at nine for twenty dollars, I do REPLACE THE CASES and clean the disks, I just buy a few cases from Meritline or some other such place, I like buying used as it saves me a LOT of money, blu-rays are about ten dollars used, sometimes I can find the same ones new for the same price or even two dollars more, so I might as well buy it new for a couple of extra dollars.

Cheato
10-09-09, 11:29 AM
I found a stash of pot in a DVD at a pawn shop, apparently it was not checked before putting on the racks. I pointed this out to the cashier and we got a good laugh out of it. I think it was one of those Anchor Bay Hammer Collection discs.

Ironic, considering the owner probably pawned it to get some money to buy some pot.

jjcool
10-09-09, 12:07 PM
I buy used all the time. I have no problem doing it, and have actually not had any bad discs so far.

Cactus Jack
10-09-09, 01:08 PM
The only used DVD I've ever had that skipped and such was 'Jerry Springer - Ringmaster', from Amazon Marketplace.

SpinalGuffman
10-09-09, 01:41 PM
Ironic, considering the owner probably pawned it to get some money to buy some pot.:lol:

writer106
10-11-09, 03:00 PM
I will never buy used.

DerangedHermit
10-12-09, 07:53 AM
I buy used about 2/3rds of the time - in store, online (Amazon, Half, eBay, various forums). Out of the several hundred DVDs I've gotten, I could count on one hand the number of those I've found to be in unacceptable shape and maybe only a few that I bought knowingly aware of it being it less than pristine ($50 for the first two Wrestlemania Anthologies AND the entire Royal Rumble Anthology? $8 for the Indiana Jones set?).

I've gotten an number of OOP WWF/WWE DVDs used for cheap ($10 or less) when Gamestop used to have DVDs and those same DVDs go for $20-30 or more now.

Lastdaysofrain
10-13-09, 08:27 AM
I buy used all the time. If its cheaper used, that's what I go with. I've very rarely had a problem.

a/v Junkie
10-13-09, 12:57 PM
I buy used all the time. If its cheaper used, that's what I go with. I've very rarely had a problem.

Same here. I buy used from FYE and rarely have any problems with them.

milo bloom
10-13-09, 02:59 PM
Same here. I buy used from FYE and rarely have any problems with them.

I don't like buying from FYE simply because they re-shrinkwrap the cases (though they are clearly marked as USED). The places I go to around here that specialize in selling used have the discs behind the counter and let you check the disc surface before buying. They also have buffing machines to clean them and buff out any scratches if they need it.

Lastdaysofrain
10-13-09, 04:00 PM
I own probably close to 6k discs and I'd say about half (or more) were purchased used. I mostly buy used discs from online retailers like Amazon Market place and Second Spin. Locally I purchase used discs from Newbury Comics frequently and all but one discs I bought were near new and pristine looking. The one disc that was scratched played perfectly so I couldn't complain.

a/v Junkie
10-13-09, 06:15 PM
I don't like buying from FYE simply because they re-shrinkwrap the cases (though they are clearly marked as USED). The places I go to around here that specialize in selling used have the discs behind the counter and let you check the disc surface before buying. They also have buffing machines to clean them and buff out any scratches if they need it.

For me, I feel safe buying used from FYE. I don't know about buying used online though. I like to see what I'm buying (condition wise).

mike07
10-13-09, 07:59 PM

I don't remember the last time I've bought a used DVD from FYE... As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I bought anything from FYE, period. Everything in that store seems extremely overpriced.