The Simpsons -- "Bart Gets a 'Z' " -- 10/04/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "Bart Gets a 'Z' " -- 10/04/09

"Bart Gets a 'Z' "
Spoiler:
When Mrs. Krabappel confiscates student's cell phones, the class, organized by Bart, decides to teach her a lesson by spiking her coffee and watching her make a drunken fool of herself. Principal Skinner fires Mrs. Krabappel and replaces her with a cool new teacher, Zachary Vaughn, who impresses Bart and his friends with a hip attitude and love of texting, blogging and using Twitter and Facebook. Torn by his affection for Mr. Vaughn, yet plagued by guilt, Bart makes his way to Skinner's office to tell him the truth and get Mrs. Krabappel's job back.

Originally Aired: October 04, 2009
Old 10-05-09, 01:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Simpsons -- "Bart Gets a 'Z' " -- 10/04/09

mediocre episode

"Faculty lounge talk out in the hall"
Old 10-05-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

It had it's moments but it really had no focus and the story just fizzled out in the end. Years ago, when Bart did something similar to Skinner, it led to a great bonding experience between them. They barely attempted the same here. And the gags with the new teacher were pretty stale.

But, yes, "faculty lounge talk out in the hall?" was a great line.
Old 10-05-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Okay, I don't get an HD signal, but when Simpsons went HD last season, they broadcast the episodes in letterbox-widescreen, which looked great. Now, this season, these last two episodes (along with the rest of Fox's line up) have been in a 1:33 zoomed/cropped format. What gives?
Old 10-05-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone else catch what I assume is an error in animation after Krabappel took the student's cell phones?

After she dumped the phones in a draw and locked it they cut to a wide shot of the students and they all had phones on their desks and for some reason the phones were smoking.

Old 10-05-09, 11:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They made a big deal of putting "zackattack.com" in prominent view on the screen, but didn't bother to build a corresponding website.
Old 10-05-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Okay, I don't get an HD signal, but when Simpsons went HD last season, they broadcast the episodes in letterbox-widescreen, which looked great. Now, this season, these last two episodes (along with the rest of Fox's line up) have been in a 1:33 zoomed/cropped format. What gives?
I don't know the exact reason, but the SD channels have shut down since last season and the cable/satellites are using the HD signal in their place on their basic digital channels. I would guess FOX letterboxed their SD signal last year and the cable/satellites only have the ability to zoom and crop the HD version? Or something like that......
Old 10-05-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Did anyone else catch what I assume is an error in animation after Krabappel took the student's cell phones?

After she dumped the phones in a draw and locked it they cut to a wide shot of the students and they all had phones on their desks and for some reason the phones were smoking. ]
I caught that too. Didn't know if it was a joke.. but now it looks like a deleted story line or a mistake
Old 10-05-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
I don't know the exact reason, but the SD channels have shut down since last season and the cable/satellites are using the HD signal in their place on their basic digital channels. I would guess FOX letterboxed their SD signal last year and the cable/satellites only have the ability to zoom and crop the HD version? Or something like that......
It can't be that since other network shows, like on NBC, are still in letterboxed widescreen - it seems really random.
Old 10-05-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It can't be that since other network shows, like on NBC, are still in letterboxed widescreen - it seems really random.
Then maybe it's something the affiliate does instead?

Email your FOX affiliate and ask.
Old 10-05-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Maybe it's an affiliate thing. Because it was driving me nuts for awhile that Lost (ABC) and The Office (NBC) were cutting off the sides instead of airing the shows letterboxed.

But last week I upgraded to Hi-Def, so now it doesn't matter anymore.
Old 10-05-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
mediocre episode

"Faculty lounge talk out in the hall"
That and the couple of Homer gags were OK, but this was just an exceptionally weak episode, and I'm far from one of the usual bashers. I put it in with my couple of all time worst episodes. A lot of it wasn't just not funny, it was cringingly bad.
Old 10-06-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I did enjoy the opening sequence with Edna. Despite all her issues in life, she puts on a brave face every morning, and before she can try to share it with the kids in her classroom, the teenagers shatter her self-esteem.
Old 10-06-09, 05:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I did enjoy the opening sequence with Edna. Despite all her issues in life, she puts on a brave face every morning, and before she can try to share it with the kids in her classroom, the teenagers shatter her self-esteem.
That hit a little to close to home from my first year teaching