Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question About Star Trek DVD AND Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question About Star Trek DVD AND Blu-Ray

Ive just ordered all the Star Trek Movies on Blu-Ray and am going to be getting rid of some of the DVD's I know 1,2,3 and 6 on the DVD Dont contain the theatrical cuts of the movies so I planned on keeping them. Do all the rest of them Have the theatrical cuts on DVD? Thanks
Old 10-03-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Re: Question About Star Trek DVD AND Blu-Ray

Star Trek 3, 4, 5, and all the Next Gen movies only have one version of the movies, on any format.

Only The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country have ever had multiple versions.
Old 10-04-09, 11:33 AM

Thanks
Old 10-18-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Last night, I was at Walmart, taking some empty ink cartridges to their recycling box, and I passed the floor display of DVD's. (Not the $3-5 getting-rid-of display, but the $13 catalog titles display.) Anyway, they had The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country among the selection. Since Star Trek VI is my favorite of the lot, I took a gander at it and discovered it has a new commentary track by Ira Steven Behr (largely responsible for everything I liked about Deep Space Nine) and someone else. I looked at Voyage Home and sure enough, there's a commentary track by current Trek screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci.

Are these simply SD-DVD singular issues of the current Blu-Ray editions? 'Cause I haven't gone Blu (yet, but we're getting close) and given that I hate 1) double-dipping and 2) the current franchise-wide graphic design, I'm looking for a justification for not owning a different edition of my favorite Trek movie on DVD.
Old 10-19-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Are these simply SD-DVD singular issues of the current Blu-Ray editions?
No....the Blu-ray editions contain all of the special features from the original 2-disc SE releases (for the most part, with a few notable exceptions), as well as new extras for every film, including the commentary tracks you mentioned....

The new SD DVD releases ONLY include the newly produced extras, and do not have any of the original special features from the previously released 2-disc SE releases...
Old 10-19-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
No....the Blu-ray editions contain all of the special features from the original 2-disc SE releases (for the most part, with a few notable exceptions), as well as new extras for every film, including the commentary tracks you mentioned....

The new SD DVD releases ONLY include the newly produced extras, and do not have any of the original special features from the previously released 2-disc SE releases...
Thanks. So if I want the BD features without buying the BD release, I need these superfluous SD editions. I'll pass, partly because I expect to go Blu by year's end anyway and partly because the graphic design of all things Trek sucks for some reason. I might bite on Undiscovered Country out of devotion, but the rest can wait for a release that doesn't look like my 14 year old nephew did it. I mean, really, who approved the "more movies featuring Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock" tagline on the BD box? Are we afraid no one has ever heard of Star Trek before J.J. Abrams came along?
Old 10-19-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Are we afraid no one has ever heard of Star Trek before J.J. Abrams came along?

All you had to do was read the reviews thread here and at Trek forums when the movie came out, where every other post was "I saw this with so-and-so who used to think Trek was dumb, but they liked this" or they overheard at the theater "well I used to think Trek was dumb, but I liked this".

If they can get just a handful of those people to pick up a set of the older movies, then that's new customers that otherwise would have never touched Trek with a ten foot pole. Heck, I'd wager there are tons of people out there that have never even seen any Trek, but won't go near it just because of the fans.

That wasn't the main reason I came back to this thread though, I left it percolating in the back of my brain, and I remembered reading that the Blu releases would all the be theatrical versions since subsequent versions for VHS, LD and DVD were all done at 480i or so and would need to be remastered for BluRay presentation.

So does that mean that the new DVDs of The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Kahn and The Undiscovered Country are the theatrical cuts also? The previous 2 disc SE's of these were all either the new director's cut by Robert Wise for TMP, or the Nicholas Meyer director's cuts for 2 and 6. I love the different version of TWOK since it's closer to the ABC TV edit that I grew up watching a recorded version of, but I'd love a copy of the theatrical cuts of TMP and TUC.

EDIT: accdg to this review
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38929...re-collection/

they are all the theatrical cuts, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on at least TMP and TUC now.

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-19-09 at 02:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-20-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
they are all the theatrical cuts, I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on at least TMP and TUC now.
Unfortunately for you, they have not released the one disc theatrical TMP as a standalone title yet....only parts 2, 4, 6, and 8 were released separately last month (on both BD and DVD)....
If you really want the theatrical TMP, you have to buy the "Original Motion Picture Collection" boxset....it is also the only way to get part 5 and its new bonus features as well....however, part 3 is also attainable in the "Trilogy" set of 2, 3 and 4....
Old 10-21-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blarg. I'll wait then, no big rush.

thanks
Old 10-21-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I heard that some in the Blu original cast set have same/similar content, but that most are not like the SD counterparts... and only Khan got a Blu upgrade.. Here are the reviews..

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2458/startrek1_tmp.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2460/startrek2_wok.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2464...ek3_spock.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2467...oyagehome.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2468...lfrontier.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2469...edcountry.html
Old 10-21-09, 06:08 PM
Banned

I'm not going to get the movies nor the series on blu-ray for several reason. One, the 4:3 picture is pillerboxed in the middle of a 16:9 frame. It's fine if you have a widescreen tv, and the picture is a square in the middle of the screen. But not everyone has a widescreen tv. On a regular tv, a 4:3 picture is a tiny little square in the middle of the screen, surrounded by black. That's why I hated the blu-ray of Pinocchio and Snow White. I'm glad, though, that those two movies had dvds of the movie so that I could watch them. The second reason that I won't get the movies on blu-ray is that they are not the same versions as the 20 discs set from a few years ago. I really loved the Star Trek movies, as well as all the extras, but won't be getting the blu-rays unless they have all the same features as the dvds and the same versions of the movies that were on the dvds. It couldn't have been hard to include all the features and versions of the movies as they were on the dvds. The blu-rays of the Planet Of The Apes and The Matrix had all the features as the dvd counterparts. Why couldn't Paramount do the same thing ?
Old 10-22-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'm not going to get the movies nor the series on blu-ray for several reason. One, the 4:3 picture is pillerboxed in the middle of a 16:9 frame. It's fine if you have a widescreen tv, and the picture is a square in the middle of the screen. But not everyone has a widescreen tv. On a regular tv, a 4:3 picture is a tiny little square in the middle of the screen, surrounded by black. That's why I hated the blu-ray of Pinocchio and Snow White.
Why would you buy Blu-rays at all if you don't even have an HDTV?
Old 10-22-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Future-proofing his collection for when he does get an HDTV? Not an outright crazy idea, though I just bought a new 46" HDTV but have yet to go Blu, so people do all kinds of things.

It does seem odd that BluRay players can downcovert to play on SD TVs, but not chop down the pillarboxing for 4x3 material.
Old 10-22-09, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Why would you buy Blu-rays at all if you don't even have an HDTV?
It is very possible he is using an HDTV that happens to be a 4:3 design. Not all HDTV ever created are of widescreen design. Especially many of the early CRT-based HDTV's.

For example, I have two early CRT-based HDTV's from Toshiba that are 4:3 ratio (36" and 32") that I purchased back in 2001 and 2002. Back then not a lot of CRTs were widescreen. Also, some that were costs a premium. For example, a 36" 4:3 is similar in screen real estate in widescreen mode as a 34" 16:9. But the 34" was several hundred dollars more in cost.

Also, the HDTV provided better out with a digital signal back them even if not HD. Any the TV supports a compressed mode where 1080i is available within a widescreen window, even if there are unused bars at the top and bottom.
Old 10-22-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It does seem odd that BluRay players can downcovert to play on SD TVs, but not chop down the pillarboxing for 4x3 material.
If the player (or the TV) has a zoom function, then the problem could be solved that way....
Old 10-22-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
If the player (or the TV) has a zoom function, then the problem could be solved that way....
My current DVD player's zoom function leaves a "bug" showing how many times it's been zoomed on the screen, very distracting.
Old 10-23-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmith
It is very possible he is using an HDTV that happens to be a 4:3 design. Not all HDTV ever created are of widescreen design. Especially many of the early CRT-based HDTV's.
Very rare to see those anymore. They haven't produced them in years.

I'm curious if that's what Spottedfeather is referring to, or if he's just watching his Blu-rays on a standard-def set.
Old 10-23-09, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Very rare to see those anymore. They haven't produced them in years.

I'm curious if that's what Spottedfeather is referring to, or if he's just watching his Blu-rays on a standard-def set.
That's true you won't find them in stores anymore, but if he purchased in the early 2000's like me he still might have one. Mine are still going strong, plus I have a projector in a theater room so for regular watching I really don't need more. Also, with small children and finger prints I'd rather they smudge a flat CRT then a plasma or lcd.

Maybe he will respond and we can find out for sure.