Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best deal on alias the complete series?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best deal on alias the complete series?

everywhere i go its 155+ for the complete series w/ artifact box, i know amazon is selling each season for 17.99-18.99 but they are the horrible new editions

does anyone know where i can get the complete series for 100-125ish or where i can get all the original "fat" releases for 15 or under each? the only good deals i can find are the duel disc (episodes on each side of the disc which are AWFUL) and the lame 3 dvd case inside a cardboard case packaging
Old 10-02-09, 05:20 PM

Re: Best deal on alias the complete series?

Just off the top of my head I saw one yesterday from a seller on amazon for $117.43 with free super saver shipping or eligible for prime. It says Fulfillment by Amazon.

Seller: pieceofmindmedia 96% positive over the past 12 months (69601 ratings.) 74540 lifetime ratings.
Old 10-02-09, 06:19 PM

I know this isnt what you are asking but I would recomend getting the individual sets, the packaging on the complete series is awful. The disks get scratched in the cardboard sleeves.
Old 10-02-09, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
I know this isnt what you are asking but I would recomend getting the individual sets, the packaging on the complete series is awful. The disks get scratched in the cardboard sleeves.
the duel layered sets and 3 dvd case sets are worse and those are the only ones you can find in any retail store and amazon
Old 10-02-09, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by komsik
Just off the top of my head I saw one yesterday from a seller on amazon for $117.43 with free super saver shipping or eligible for prime. It says Fulfillment by Amazon.

Seller: pieceofmindmedia 96% positive over the past 12 months (69601 ratings.) 74540 lifetime ratings.
what does fulfillment by amazon mean? amazon themselves ships it? my only concern with user sellers on amazon is you dont know the condition of the product your buying, they give you vague descriptions and offer 0 pictures and ive heard horror stories from buying from them but then again ive never bought from them

another concern is im afraid im going to pay out 120 bucks for that only to get it with tears on the edges etc.
Old 10-02-09, 06:54 PM

The Amazon sets are the new releases that are 6 single sided discs per set (except season 5, its 4 discs). Very nice slim packaging, much better than the complete series.
Old 10-02-09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by styl3s
what does fulfillment by amazon mean? amazon themselves ships it? my only concern with user sellers on amazon is you dont know the condition of the product your buying, they give you vague descriptions and offer 0 pictures and ive heard horror stories from buying from them but then again ive never bought from them

another concern is im afraid im going to pay out 120 bucks for that only to get it with tears on the edges etc.
Fulfilled by Amazon

Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you. All of our standard shipping rates and policies apply to these items, including FREE Super Saver Shipping on qualifying orders over $25.

"Fulfilled by Amazon" items are sent to you via one of our carriers (US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, etc.) at whatever delivery speed you choose (standard shipping, 2-day shipping, etc).

After you place an order, the carrier, ship date, and estimated delivery date for your package will be listed in Your Account and can be found in your shipment confirmation e-mail. If you have a tracking or delivery confirmation number, you can track your package by clicking the "Track packages" link in Your Account.

Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items. If you need assistance with anything, please visit our Help pages by clicking the word "Help" in the top right corner of any page of our Web site.
Maybe someone else can chime in on their experience but it sounds like yea, they ship and handle returns and customer service so it should be like ordering from amazon if your not happy you can return it. Hard to say how it will come, I have had stuff from amazon themselves arrive and the condition of the packaging was crappy but I have never returned something yet but from what I have heard it is pretty easy to return to amazon?

Anyone else with Fulfilled by Amazon experience?
Old 10-02-09, 08:35 PM

Fulfillment by Amazon means that the seller has shipped all or part of his inventory to Amazon to store and evetually ship when it sells. This is good for Prime customers because you still get free shipping.

I have had to return a couple of DVD sets that I have bought direct from Amazon. Most recently was Lost BD Season 2. It was damaged in transit (poor packaging) but I had no issues getting it replaced. You can actually print out your no charge return label online and they give you the choice of refund or replacement.

I am a Prime member. Think it was $75 for a year but for me it was a no-brainer. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon and the free shipping and no tax rocks! Sales tax here in TN is almost freaking 10%!!

Hope this helps!
Old 10-02-09, 09:04 PM

The slimmed down seasons of Alias contain the exact same discs the old versions have -- same number of discs, etc. They are NOT double-sided. They ARE dual-layered, which allows more storage on a SINGLE side.

From Wikipedia:

"A dual-layer disc differs from its usual DVD counterpart by employing a second physical layer within the disc itself. The drive with dual-layer capability accesses the second layer by shining the laser through the first semitransparent layer. In some DVD players, the layer change can exhibit a noticeable pause, up to several seconds.[24] This caused some viewers to worry that their dual-layer discs were damaged or defective, with the end result that studios began listing a standard message explaining the dual-layer pausing effect on all dual-layer disc packaging."
Old 10-02-09, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by njwiv
The slimmed down seasons of Alias contain the exact same discs the old versions have -- same number of discs, etc. They are NOT double-sided. They ARE dual-layered, which allows more storage on a SINGLE side.

From Wikipedia:

"A dual-layer disc differs from its usual DVD counterpart by employing a second physical layer within the disc itself. The drive with dual-layer capability accesses the second layer by shining the laser through the first semitransparent layer. In some DVD players, the layer change can exhibit a noticeable pause, up to several seconds.[24] This caused some viewers to worry that their dual-layer discs were damaged or defective, with the end result that studios began listing a standard message explaining the dual-layer pausing effect on all dual-layer disc packaging."
they don't sell the slim versions on amazon, they sell the horrible packaged one that is a carboard box with 3 dvd cases in it.. if you can find those for the same price amazon is offering 17.99 i would buy them in a heart beat
Old 10-03-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"fulfilled by amazon" means what for reels said.

that said, from my limited experience, getting dvds "fulfilled by amazon" is pretty much like getting stuff from amazon. you wont have to deal with a third party in case there is an issue. everything will be handled by amazon itself.
Old 10-03-09, 01:40 AM

they don't sell the slim versions on amazon, they sell the horrible packaged one that is a carboard box with 3 dvd cases in it.. if you can find those for the same price amazon is offering 17.99 i would buy them in a heart beat
This is not true, I bought all 5 seasons from Amazon in mid-late august for 12.99 each and they are all the new single case sets that are 6 discs (4 discs for season 4) and are all single sided dual layer. I have seen them recently for 12.99 at Costco and Target and 13.88 at Sams club and 14.99 at Wal-mart. The packaging is excellent. They look identical to the following pictures found at amazon:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...88a13210.L.jpg

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...29a13210.L.jpg

Last edited by yellowlt4; 10-03-09 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 07:26 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would definatly get the indiviual sets. The box, book, and extra dvd are NOT worth it. The extra dvd footage can be found on youtube or vartanho.com. I believe they also have the scanned pages from the book.
Old 10-03-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ive always wanted the complete set, to go with my other sets, but this one never goes on sale.
Old 10-04-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Why not get the individual season sets for dirt cheap? Now they have the slimmer packaging. I ended up paying less than $50 for my 5 fat sets.