Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hastings Used Dvds - Buy 2 Get 1 for $1 Sale - Includes Criterions!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-01-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned this. My love/hate affair with Hastings continues. Now, I'm loving them again with this sale:

GoHastings.com is currently running a Buy 2 used dvds, get 1 for $1 sale.

Normally, I wouldn't get excited about this sale, but I looked at their listings, and it has hundreds of dvds available to select from including several criterions like Salo, Seven Samurai, Naked Lunch.

Their used dvd prices are outstanding. Lots of new releases like Watchmen under $5 bucks. You can get the Bourne movies for around a buck each! Their listings also includes a lot of OOP dvds as well, and 2 disc dvd sets.

http://www.gohastings.com/browse/MOV...ts?from=flash3
Old 10-01-09, 09:04 AM
Banned

Re: Hastings Used Dvds - Buy 2 Get 1 for $1 Sale - Includes Criterions!

wow great prices on that site. though i've always been nerves about buying used from a site. any horror stories about scratched discs?
Old 10-01-09, 09:10 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
wow great prices on that site. though i've always been nerves about buying used from a site. any horror stories about scratched discs?
yes, a scratched disc killed my dad.
Old 10-01-09, 09:14 AM
Cool New Member

I've placed two orders with them in the last month or so. While some of the prices have been great and the disc condition have been fair, I have been largely disappointed with their service. Out of the 10 items i've purchased, 7 were as described, but they shipped me a spanish version of Wall-E (instead of the normal), the non-Criterion version of Benjamin Button (instead of the Criterion I ordered), and the Short Cuts Criterion that I ordered arrived sans the booklet and the outer sleeve. Of course, the Short Cuts criterion was the one that was $1.00 with the buy2get1 for $1.00 sale, so if i wanted to send it back, I would get a whole $2.66 back for it. The lady at customer service didnt see why I might have a problem with that or why I would be upset that they would ship me an incomplete dvd.

The site isnt terrible. some good deals, but be ready for the hassle that goes along with those deals.
Old 10-01-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
yes, a scratched disc killed my dad.
Old 10-01-09, 09:56 AM
Banned

so any cheap Criterion's?
Old 10-01-09, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skapooj
I've placed two orders with them in the last month or so. While some of the prices have been great and the disc condition have been fair, I have been largely disappointed with their service. Out of the 10 items i've purchased, 7 were as described, but they shipped me a spanish version of Wall-E (instead of the normal), the non-Criterion version of Benjamin Button (instead of the Criterion I ordered), and the Short Cuts Criterion that I ordered arrived sans the booklet and the outer sleeve. Of course, the Short Cuts criterion was the one that was $1.00 with the buy2get1 for $1.00 sale, so if i wanted to send it back, I would get a whole $2.66 back for it. The lady at customer service didnt see why I might have a problem with that or why I would be upset that they would ship me an incomplete dvd.

The site isnt terrible. some good deals, but be ready for the hassle that goes along with those deals.
Ok... That is a no for Hastings. Thank you.
Old 10-06-09, 10:04 AM

I had never heard of Hastings until I read about them on this board. I recently purchased 6 used blu's during the 'buy 2 get 1 for a dollar' deal. All six blu's arrived in MINT condition. Cases and discs were all flawless and even had all of the inserts included in the packaging. I got SW Clone Wars, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Daredevil, Underworld: Lycans, and Push. My total was $52.00 with shipping (average price per disc - $8.66).

One of the best blu-ray shopping experiences I've had and would definitely recommend them. Each disc was shipped in a separate package and arrived within a few days.

RickWJ324
Old 10-06-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woodstock's 40th annivery set is in the sale for like $25 used. Could be an awesome deal if you can find two more similarly price sets.
Old 10-06-09, 01:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Surprised no one has mentioned this. My love/hate affair with Hastings continues. Now, I'm loving them again with this sale:

GoHastings.com is currently running a Buy 2 used dvds, get 1 for $1 sale.

It was mentioned....about a month ago when the sale started. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-hastings.html

the blu's and other items have since dropped off the sale, but the dvd's are still going.
Old 10-06-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Myself I have gotten alot of great Criterion Dvd's from Hastings I would grab a copy off the rental area.

They would scan and give me the PVD price right spot(if it had not been rented in 90 days).

Now the sad part they don't PVD there Criterion at all in store anymore in my area "Sucks".
Old 10-07-09, 08:18 AM

first order with them
got
Bad Taste - Limited Edition 2 Disc Set
Re-Animator - Anchor Bay 2 Disc Set
The Definitive Ric Flair Collection 3 Disc Set
for under 28 dollars shipped.
Old 10-07-09, 08:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
first order with them
got
Bad Taste - Limited Edition 2 Disc Set
Re-Animator - Anchor Bay 2 Disc Set
The Definitive Ric Flair Collection 3 Disc Set
for under 28 dollars shipped.
My brother used to tutor Ric Flair's daughter in math back in the mid-80s. He said she was pretty hot. I think I saw him wrestle once at the old Charlotte Colisseum back in the late '70s (wrestling wasn't my thing, but my father felt we should go at least once).

Peter
Old 10-08-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This doesn't seem to be working any longer. It's definitely not showing up in my cart when I add three used DVDs, and if I click on the link in the first post, it shows a little box with the promotion checked, but no DVDs listed. It's also not listed under their current promotions.
Old 10-08-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Colleen
This doesn't seem to be working any longer. It's definitely not showing up in my cart when I add three used DVDs, and if I click on the link in the first post, it shows a little box with the promotion checked, but no DVDs listed. It's also not listed under their current promotions.
You have to select dvds from their qualifying list which apparently is constantly changing.

Wow, here's a great deal:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/MO.../277829321.uts

A mere $408 used. lol WHy buy new when you can buy it used for much much more?
Old 10-08-09, 12:19 PM
Cool New Member

just bought Silence of the Lambs Criterion, Kicking and Screaming Criterion, and bully OOP for 18.xx shipped using the buy2get1 sale. Im hoping that the packaging isnt terrible this time. I cant stay away.

Also, they have the original release of Sanjuro Criterion previously viewed for $5.99. Pretty killer deal if you arent holding out for the rereleased version with the superior picture. From what Ive read, PV is a bit more of a risk as well so beware, I guess.

Last edited by skapooj; 10-08-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems to apply to any used DVD as long as it's not a boxed set of any kind. That's why I wasn't having any luck at first, because that's what I went looking for first. After giving up on sets, any and all used movies qualified. Books and CDs have the same special, but you can't mix and match (must have a multiple of 3 books and a multiple of 3 movies).
Old 10-09-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As was discussed in the previous thread about this sale, it is not just boxed sets which are excluded, and not 100% of box sets are excluded. You can see what's included in the sale by clicking on the appropriate link under Promotions, when browsing a category like Movies.
Old 10-09-09, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Hasting are still around?Wow the last time I bought anything from them was probably 21 maybe 22 years a go,back at the local mall.
So,are there any restrictions as what qualifies as your $1.00 DVD?I am sure that it has to be whichever of your 3 picks are the cheapest..?
Anyhoo,thanks to the OP,since I was going to check out Borders Marketplace,but Hastings looks to have a much better selection(for me anyway).
Old 10-12-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
As was discussed in the previous thread about this sale, it is not just boxed sets which are excluded, and not 100% of box sets are excluded. You can see what's included in the sale by clicking on the appropriate link under Promotions, when browsing a category like Movies.
That didn't seem to be the case for me. I spent a LONG time browsing the pages that came up after clicking on the sale link, looking for any box sets that might be included. I found a few, but none of them ever counted as the third for the Buy 3 when added to a cart that included two items that I'd found to be part of the sale.
Old 10-12-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Click the link, sort by descending price, and you'll see box sets. I remember there were Indiana Jones, From the Earth to the Moon, some baseball team box sets, Woodstock, Roots, others. I didn't see any TV season sets, but there are multi-disc box sets that are part of the sale. I admit I didn't test them to see if they discounted, but they are clearly listed as part of the sale.

In addition, there are single disc items that are not part of the sale. For example, I wanted to get Dragon's Lair III, which is one disc in the Used DVD category, and it would not discount under the 30%-off sale, and it would not count in the B2G1 sale, either.