Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Phantom Syfy miniseries 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
The Phantom Syfy miniseries 2010

Search did not bring up any threads for this, but i've been following the project some.

Wiki:

On July 29, 2008, screenwriter Daniel Knauf announced he and his son and collaborator Charles Knauf had completed a four-hour TV-movie script for SCI FI Channel, later re-named SyFy, starring the 22nd Phantom.[54] On March 23, 2009, Sci Fi Channel announced that they have formally ordered a 4-hour mini-series in two parts, which will also serve as a backdoor pilot. The mini-series, simply called The Phantom, is scheduled to air in 2010, and is produced by Muse Entertainment and RHI Entertainment.

Ryan Carnes has been cast as Chris Walker, the new Phantom.[55] Cas Anvar plays Rhatib Singh, head of the Singh Brotherhood, Isabella Rossellini plays the villainous Lithia, and Sandrine Holt has been cast as Guran. Cameron Goodman will play the Phantom's love interest, Rennie. Paolo Barzman will direct. The series is shot in New York, Costa Rica and Montreal. [56]

The story sees law student Chris learning that he was adopted, and that he is actually the son of the Phantom. He joins the Phantom team in the jungles of Bengalla, and is trained in martial arts and combat, emerging as the next Phantom to battle the trained assassins of the Singh Brotherhood
Concept art:

Trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X74WvxfvyM4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X74WvxfvyM4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hopefully this turns out better than Flash Gordon.

But IMO it will be hard to top this guy:

Old 09-30-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Phantom Syfy miniseries 2010

Yikes, it's from the folks at RHI Entertainment

It probably means it will be so-so to freaking awful.
Old 09-30-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daniel Knauf, the creator of Carnivale?

Fuck yea Im in!
Old 09-30-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I was one of the few people who liked the Billy Zane version, which deserves a DVD re-release. It's still amazing Bruce Campbell was the #2 pick for the role.
Old 09-30-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I was one of the few people who liked the Billy Zane version, which deserves a DVD re-release.
Yep, it was a very good film. The Shadow was another great hero film that gets equally ignored.
Old 09-30-09, 05:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Daniel Knauf, the creator of Carnivale?

Fuck yea Im in!
Old 09-30-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yep, it was a very good film. The Shadow was another great hero film that gets equally ignored.
Agreed, both pulp heroes, both movies came out around the same time, and both ignored

If only they came out after the comic film renaissance.
Old 09-30-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Slam Evil!
Old 09-30-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agreed, both pulp heroes, both movies came out around the same time, and both ignored

If only they came out after the comic film renaissance.
Wow. I though I was alone in loving both those movies. I've wanted a DVD re-release for both for a very long time. The Shadow was 1.33:1 only on DVD and the transfer on The Phantom is really showing its age. Of course, these days I want a newly minted and pristine HD transfer for both so that I can get them on Blu-Ray.

Oh and The Rocketeer also deserves the Blu-Ray treatment.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-30-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wow. I though I was alone in loving both those movies. I've wanted a DVD re-release for both for a very long time. The Shadow was 1.33:1 only on DVD and the transfer on The Phantom is really showing its age. Of course, these days I want a newly minted and pristine HD transfer for both so that I can get them on Blu-Ray.

Oh and The Rocketeer also deserves the Blu-Ray treatment.
The Rocketeer deserves a Tron-level special edition. I was never able to get through The Shadow; I tried watching it OnDemand and doze off around 30 minutes in.
Old 10-01-09, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another fan of the pulp-comic triple play! I went to a special screening of the The Phantom and got the skull ring and always wanted the signaling ring from The Shadow. And The Rocketeer was a great intro to 30's period pieces.
Old 05-04-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. At least Zane's Phantom made it to Blu

Here’s a sign that the new television version of The Phantom isn’t getting much love from Syfy:

The network has scheduled all four hours of the mini-series revival on the same night – and it’s a Sunday. The Hollywood Reporter has the scoop that the entire series will air on June 20th, starting at 7pm.

Here’s hoping The Ghost That Walks has more legs than his network are assuming.
Old 06-22-10, 11:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

So I'm 1/2 way through this, and am surprised by how much I am absolutely loving it. Hope the second half clicks for me as much as the 1st!
Old 06-22-10, 11:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Doh! Forgot to set my DVR.
Old 06-22-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

What a great surprise! Started watching Phantom with my wife on Sunday night, and saved the second half for Monday night. We loved it and would be happy if Syfy decided to pick it up as a regular series. I usually don't enjoy most of the cheese that SyFy produces, but the Phantom was above average.
Old 06-22-10, 04:35 PM

missed it....hope they air it again
Old 06-22-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

A four hour movie in two parts is not a mini-series.
Old 06-22-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
A four hour movie in two parts is not a mini-series.

Apparently the producers of the original 'V' Miniseries disagree with you.
Old 06-22-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow a good sci fi channel mini series. The end of days must be here. Going to have to check this thing out.
Old 06-23-10, 10:24 AM

anyone know if this will be repeated. My DVR messed up.
Old 06-23-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't feel the love at all for this.

I'm still not sure if the opening sequence was intended to be a dream sequence or they just had bad footage and were making due with editing tricks and annoying visual effects.

I spent the first 10 minutes hoping the lead wasn't the Phantom and would instead get killed in order to introduce the real main character.

The story was OK. Pretty basic, and not really compelling. On problem was there was no sense of danger for the Phantom, especially once he got his suit, which made him completely bullet proof.

The "parkour" (which wasn't really parkour but more like free running) was completely lame. It was more like guys running across building rooftops with a few unnecessary backflips thrown in. I don't see how a professional film crew could create sequences less visually exciting than your average youtube parkour video.
Old 06-24-10, 10:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so the 2nd half didn't quite jive with me as much as the first, but overall surprisingly enjoyable. I didn't see the little twist at the end. I'd be down for 1-2 made-for-tv movies or miniseries a year, but not really a full blown series.

Oh, and the new suit was lame. Actually, the suit was fine, but the helmet was beyond stupid.
Old 06-24-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am surprised at how much I liked the show, dorky suit aside, and I would definitely watch it as a weekly series. But if they are thinking about that option, they really do need to ditch (or at least retool) the suit if they ever expect us to feel that Kit is in any real peril. Enhancing his abilities is one thing (and actually a cool concept for the character). Making him completely impervious to pretty much everything is just a bit too much.
Old 06-27-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
The story was OK. Pretty basic, and not really compelling. On problem was there was no sense of danger for the Phantom, especially once he got his suit, which made him completely bullet proof.
I'm a big fan of the Phantom. The suits design was OK for me, I understand that comic books dont always translate well to real life suits.
There were however inconsistensies with the suit.
We see guys flying about when they hit with their vests on; however, the phantom doesnt even budge when he is hit with bullets. Moreover, he doesnt even care that his lower face is exposed.

I also could not stomach that the police would just let him go after the assasination attempt.

With a little bit more thought on part of the writers, this would certainly make a good series. Sort of like the Batman. The comic book art when Kit was reading the journal was cool --- that would also work quite well if it was made into a series; when things get boring and filler material is needed, out come the journals.

One question: His mentor said that the first phantom was a former pirate, but there was no mention of that in the first phantoms journal ?

Last edited by wearetheborg; 06-27-10 at 07:03 PM.