Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Mercy -- New Series -- Wednesday's on NBC

Mercy

Synopsis for "I Believe You Conrad":

Spoiler:

Trying to mend their troubled marriage, Veronica and Mike move back in together---but their house needs more of a renovation than even their relationship. At work, Veronica's effort to have a platonic relationship with Dr. Sands proves difficult. And Sonia woos a cop (Charlie Semine), who helps her identify an unconscious Jane Doe patient. As for rookie nurse Chloe, she learns to develop a hard edge to her soft soul.

Creating a Generic Season thread for this so the Pilot thread doesn't get bumped for episodes 2, 3 etc.. We'll see how long this show lasts. It sounds to me that some of you liked this better than Trauma.
Old 09-30-09, 05:57 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Mercy -- New Series -- Wednesday's on NBC

my wife, a nurse, watched this... and even she thought it was terrible (and she's a sucker for all things CW and Lifetime)
Old 09-30-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It sounds to me that some of you liked this better than Trauma.
Yeesh... that's not saying a whole lot. I predict that NBC will keep this around a bit only because it has nothing to replace it with and burn off the episodes it has paid for.
Old 09-30-09, 08:19 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I thought this ep was better than the pilot but still just average.

I'll keep watching because I don't have anything else to in this spot and get my Taylor Schilling fix.
Old 09-30-09, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

GF enjoys it so I'll watch it...don't really care if it gets canceled or not.
Old 09-30-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I thought this ep was better than the pilot but still just average.

I'll keep watching because I don't have anything else to in this spot and get my Taylor Schilling fix.
It only took me one episode and I became a Taylor Schilling fan as well.
Old 09-30-09, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This episode was FANTASTIC. Looked like Bobby Moynihan (from SNL) as Conrad doing some nice work. Taylor Schilling is really growing on me, especially after the softball scenes. There's a lot of nice comic timing in this show as well. It's reminding me of St. Elsewhere a bit. This show is really the polar opposite on the believability scale from Trauma.
Old 10-01-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This show is the true surprise of the 2009 TV season for me. There is a lot of humanity on display, plus characters not afraid to say what they want (sometimes, scripted TV is just about a lot of passive-agressive behavior mined for laughs). Also, the family jousting with one another makes for a more rounded look at Veronica's life in and out of the hospital without feeling forced or contrived. It's just a very down-to-earth show, but with just enough comic moments to relieve the medical drama tension of a show about nurses, and to point out irony of situations that develop. Also, the characters just feel a little more like people with their own individual lives who happen to intersect at the workplace, and it overflows into personal time every so often. It's not just about the main character, where every other recurring character just shows up to support and buoy the main character due to plot-driven reasons.

The second episode was better directed, and the actors had a better handle on their characters, and the cast chemistry is developing well.

And, yeah, Taylor Schilling is lovely to stare at, hope she finds a lot of success in the future.
Old 10-08-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear NBC,

Please don't cancel this show. It's grown on me, and it does a good job balancing their hospital lives and home lives.
Old 10-08-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show started out fine but half way thru the pilot episode I didn't much care about characters, I just lost interest. I stopped looking. I do like the lead actress character but as soon as they brough in her ex and now the new guy from her past. I lost interest at that point.
I feel the same way GizmoDVD feels.
Old 10-08-09, 11:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still enjoying it.
Old 10-09-09, 01:04 AM

I was ready to tune out after the first episode, but DH wanted to at least give it a second chance and I am glad we did because the last two episodes were really good and I am very much enjoying this now!
Old 10-09-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I am fan of this show. Please NBC, I'll do anything. ANYTHING including that thing Jay Leno won't do just to keep this on the air.

I was a bit perturbed by the premise at first but the stories are pretty damn good. I knew there was a solid reason why Veronica could not talk to that lone survivor of the "accident." I just didn't expect it to be as emotional as it was.

Personally, I thought Veronica may have taken the cowards way out and her friends pay the ultimate sacrifice instead of her.

Nope. Instead its

Spoiler:
Guilt from being told to stay behind because she had worked a double shift so she needs rest. So she was not there to die with her best friend because she was "exhausted." The guilt of not being the one to die when you should have.

And of course, the natural progression of Chloe's (Michelle Trachtenberg) character from doe eyed newbie to aggressive patient fighter.

One more thing is it just me or does the bearded doctor, Harris (James LeGros), look like John Ritter?
Old 11-11-09, 08:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Veronica's dad was cracking me up tonight

"You know what I just realized, we're white trash"
Old 11-11-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I watched for the 1st time tonight waiting for "Glee" to air and it wasn't bad. I have been meaning to watch because I loves me some Michelle Tractenberg, but I was also thrilled to see Kate "Cap'n Janeway" Mulgrew.

Is Mulgrew a regular or was she just on for this ep?
Old 11-11-09, 10:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

She's the main character's mother so she's in most of the episodes.
Old 11-11-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MrX
She's the main character's mother so she's in most of the episodes.
Oh ok thanks. I so enjoy Kate.
Old 11-11-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Holy crap. That's who she is. I didn't recognize her and I've been watching from the start. Tonight while watching the opening credits I even thought to myself, "Kate Mulgrew, hmmm, where do I know that name from?"

As I said before, I'm loving this show. For the most part it's sweet, touching and not too over the top (though it has its moments, like tonight's fight). I really liked the final understated moments of the episode tonight with dad in the back of the truck. Also, the scene outside with them smoking and they all realized the dad had known something was wrong for sometime was heartbreaking.
Old 11-15-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So glad NBC decided to order a season's worth of episodes because it's one of the better new shows this season. I enjoy the personal interplay between most of the characters in this cast.
Old 02-10-10, 11:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone still watching?

That was a hell of a place to head into a break.

Last edited by MrX; 02-10-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 11:23 PM

yea im watching this show. i caught the first half of the episode and then watched "the middle." ill catch the rest on hulu in the morning.
Old 02-11-10, 01:21 AM

Yes, I'm watching. I was thinking about bumping this thread as well, but you beat me to it.

I'm really enjoying this show. I like all the female cast, but I'm really enjoying Michelle Trachtenberg in her role. When she set the bowling pin on the desk I was rolling, then the same later when she tried to handle the crisis in the waiting room.

Not sure what to think of the new doctor, but all the male roles on this show seem to take a while to become moderately human for some reason (easily the weakest part of the show). Plus, I don't think we're supposed to like him at this point anyway.
Old 02-11-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I keep missing it. But I'm still in the "like it" camp when I do catch eps.
Old 02-11-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this for the first time tonight and it was not bad at all. It's not ER quality in its heyday (not much is on network television), but still a pretty good show. I might go back and catch it from the beginning during the Olympics.

When that guy drank his urine because he didn't want it to be tested for drugs I was dying. But they need to get better 'background' actors. That big guy going off in the ER was horrible as was the robber.
Old 02-11-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wasnt the robber the dude from the Wire? Name escapes me right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.