Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fond memories of MTV Unplugged.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Fond memories of MTV Unplugged.

I just ran across the old KISS album when they were on MTV Unplugged over over a decade ago. It made me really nostalgic for that program in particular, as it stands out in my mind as one of the most memorable and enjoyable programs to ever grace the network.

What are some of your favorite Unplugged performances?

Mine:

KISS. One of the only times I've ever seen the band anywhere, focus on the music, rather than the showmanship aspect.

Nirvana. I've never been a fan of the band at all, but their iconic appearance was truly praiseworthy, from the subdued renditions of their own songs, to the now infamous covers of "Man Who Sold the World" and "Lake of Fire"

Jay Z. Jay Z and The Roots, proof you don't need fancy electronic beats and heavy production to show competency in rapping.

Memorable, but for other reasons.
Eric Clapton. My first introduction to Unplugged. I don't care much for Clapton and this didn't do anything to sway me, but it still stands out in my mind after all these years.

Neil Young. Not memorable so much for Young's performance in particular, but his meltdown mid set. Very odd, considering acoustic shouldn't have been a big stretch for him; I do however, recall hearing, Young had no choice over who was backing him, so that might have set things off on the wrong foot from start.

Oasis. Noel harassing Liam from a balcony, rather than participate.
Old 09-29-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Fond memories of MTV Unplugged.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, by far.
Old 09-29-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I used to like Unplugged as well. I love the Neil Young Unplugged disc, but never saw the special or knew he had a meltdown. I wonder if it's up on youtube or something.

I think it was WAY overblown at the time, but I guess I should mention Sir Paul flubbing the beginning of "We Can Work It Out", because it's nice to see even the greatest show us he's human.

I loved the REM set. Especially Michael Stipe having to read the lyrics of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" off a teleprompter and claiming he's not sure if they were all correct. They should have released that one on CD.
Old 09-29-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Stevie Ray Vaughan, by far.
Thank you. The worst part was that MTV would hardly ever repeat that ep. But other artist's performances were practically on a video loop.

KISS...because I think it showed that KISS could actually play ad sound really good. Even as a huge fan I had my doubts before this show. Anyway, I was particularly blown away by their ballad stuff.

LL Cool J...I'm not a huge Rap fan, but this ep threw everyone for a loop with live players backing LL.

BJORK...I've seen bits and pieces but not the whole performance.

Unplugged Wish list: RUSH. They did one of their songs called, "Resist" unplugged" on tour and it sounded amazing.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-29-09 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Queensr˙che [4/27/92]
Old 09-29-09, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Pearl Jam Unplugged was good too
Old 09-29-09, 04:00 AM

My all time favorite is Alice In Chains Unplugged. I even have the DVD and the CD (Now transfered onto my iPod) i highly recommend it to anyone that even remotely likes them, its some of the best music they did.
Old 09-29-09, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it wasn't unplugged but I remember two great concerts MTV aired (albeit bleeped) Green Day and another from The Prodigy.
Old 09-29-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LL Cool J doing "Mama Said Knock You Out" was pretty awesome.

Also loved the 10000 Maniacs set.
Old 09-29-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Man-Thing
My all time favorite is Alice In Chains Unplugged. I even have the DVD and the CD (Now transfered onto my iPod) i highly recommend it to anyone that even remotely likes them, its some of the best music they did.
That was an amazing performance. Alice & Chains and Nirvana's are the ones I listen to and remember the most.

Kids these days don't appreciate how easy it is to get music. I remember how I had to special order The Meat Puppets cd to get Lake of Fire & Plateau until they finally released the Nirvana Unplugged cd.

I shall now be trumped by some old timer talking about dubbing 8-tracks & LPs.

Also, there are some equally remarkable performances on Austin City Limits via your local PBS. They air them in high-def with 5.1 surround and everything. I've seen some great concerts on there in similar, intimate settings like were often on Unplugged. Some of my favorite ACL include: Nick Lowe; The Swell Season; Ray LaMontagne; Coldplay; and Ben Folds.

Last edited by Nefarious; 09-29-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
Also loved the 10000 Maniacs set.
I forgot about that one (though I have the cd.) Another excellent concert.
Old 09-29-09, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious

Also, there are some equally remarkable performances on Austin City Limits via your local PBS. They air them in high-def with 5.1 surround and everything. I've seen some great concerts on there in similar, intimate settings like were often on Unplugged. Some of my favorite ACL include: Nick Lowe; The Swell Season; Ray LaMontagne; Coldplay; and Ben Folds.
Polyphonic Spree did a fun gig on ACL
Old 09-29-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caught Silversun Pickups unplugged recently on Paladia. It was a really small set. Was kind of surprised after seeing Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged...
Old 09-29-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I am not a fan of the band, I liked the mash up Korn did with Robert Smith of Make Me Bad and Inbetween Days.
Old 09-29-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I loved the REM set. Especially Michael Stipe having to read the lyrics of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" off a teleprompter and claiming he's not sure if they were all correct. They should have released that one on CD.
I've seen REM a few times. He does that with that song every time.

Some of my favorite Unplugged performances ...

10,000 Maniacs
REM
Alice in Chains
Bob Dylan

I seem to remember Stone Temple Pilots delivering a really good performance as well. If I really looked, I think I still have VHS recordings of Hole and The Cranberries Unplugged.
Old 09-29-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thank you. The worst part was that MTV would hardly ever repeat that ep.
If you don't already have it, go pick up SRV's "Pride & Joy" DVD. Among other things, it contains the entire Unplugged performance.
Old 09-29-09, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kiss and LL were great. i remember getting chills watching as the original and new members were all playing together and watching the two drummers playing in unison. Man, I always used to tell anyone who would listen that I'd rather see a live rock band than a rapper any day. And I cried when Stevie Ray died in the helicopter crash. No one played like him.
Old 09-29-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a huge fan of Live, I loved their performance. I don't think I ever saw it repeated either, but I still listen to the tracks from time to time.

I loved when they kicked in to The Beauty of Grey.
Old 09-29-09, 11:18 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

The spoken word unplugged was one of my favs. Also, it was Liam in the balcony and Noel being harassed. Noel's the better singer anyways.
Old 09-29-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I caught Silversun Pickups unplugged recently on Paladia. It was a really small set. Was kind of surprised after seeing Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged...
I interviewed Brian Aubert a few weeks back and he said it was filmed in someone's apartment and that the audience was mostly set-dressing consisting of MTV employees.
Old 09-29-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pxMrlzslHA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1pxMrlzslHA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-29-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by dek
The spoken word unplugged was one of my favs. Also, it was Liam in the balcony and Noel being harassed. Noel's the better singer anyways.
Yep, I was a fan of that one as well. I remember I ordered Maggie Estep's CD shortly after seeing her on that show.
Old 09-29-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Denis Leary Unplugged
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_ThH_jrdL8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_ThH_jrdL8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-29-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I miss Layne Staley

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdGroI6kx9M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kdGroI6kx9M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-29-09, 02:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Bruce Springsteen: "Bring out the band!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.