Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here ever joined a book club before?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 09-28-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin joined a book club about three months ago. A close friend of hers is the leader. There are about 13 members and they meet every Saturday. My cousin has been telling me to check it out for awhile. My cousin is out of state for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking about going with her to a meeting when she gets back. Please tell me about any experiences with book clubs.
Old 09-29-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Has anyone here ever joined a book club before?

I used to be apart of a monthly book club. It was organized at the library where they provided enough copies for all the members. Some great novels I've discovered through the club that i would never even think of picking up.

We would discuss our thoughts on the book, metaphors, what was sad, funny etc etc. There was always refreshments and food provided. Sometimes there were even theme nights. One book featured chocolate everyone brought in their favorite candy.

It was a really fun experience. I stopped going after losing interest in reading. But now that I'm back into reading, I may go back.
Old 09-29-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I joined one at work, and while I enjoy the club because it makes me read books that I would not think of picking up and it broadens my horizon. However we just read the Time Travellers wife and it was the biggest POS I have ever read.

One thing I do find annoying is people not showing up (We all know it is the same day every month) or people not reading the book (We know 2 months ahead which books we are going to read) Then we have people that only show up when it is their turn to pick the book, that annoys me as well.
Old 09-29-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered about being the club and hating the book we are reading. In school there were few assigned books I hated and I think the same thing would happen in a book club. My cousin says they read a variety of books and they base their decisions based on different polls and lists.