DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Samoa - 9/24/09

Episode Title:
Spoiler:
Taking Candy From a Baby

Episode Description:
Spoiler:
A rugby-like game gets out of control and one player is ejected from the contest; one person is given the opportunity to make friends with the opposing tribe, but it doesn't go well. Meanwhile, Russell H. continues to disrupt life for the Foa Foa tribe. At tribal council, another castaway is voted out of the game. Jeff Probst is the host.
Old 09-24-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Samoa - 9/24/09

Can't wait.
Old 09-24-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard Russell sets up booby traps this episode. One tribe member falls in a spiked pit, which causes a huge fight within the tribe.

This guy is good!
Old 09-24-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I heard Russell sets up booby traps this episode. One tribe member falls in a spiked pit, which causes a huge fight within the tribe.

This guy is good!
Russell's plan is working right now but only because he's being very subtle. None of them will have any idea until they watch from home where their socks or water went. That said, if he starts getting to prideful and bold, it'll be his own booby in a trap.
Old 09-24-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Major groaner of an episode, only because I'm rooting against Russell, and he keeps on with the upper hand.

Yasmine is an unbelievable personality in terms of no awareness of she comes across to people, and then there's Ben, the wild child who doesn't apologize for anything he does and doesn't care how his actions affect others. How do the producers find these people?

Last edited by Patman; 09-24-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 08:33 PM

I'm done with this season. I can't sit at home and watch this Russell crap for another week. My wife and I have watched since season 1, and we're both done. There's a point we're it's over the line.
Old 09-24-09, 08:43 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually started liking Russell after tonight. Everyone else seems like a dim wit, so why can't Russell be the puppet master.
Old 09-24-09, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely lots of dumbasses this season. Ben is a moran, but I loved him calling out Probst for having sissy rules in the challenge. His trip was MUCH less dangerous/cheap than some of the other stuff that was going on (whipping people down by their neck, for one).
Old 09-24-09, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
I actually started liking Russell after tonight. Everyone else seems like a dim wit, so why can't Russell be the puppet master.
Yes. I still don't really like Russell, and I'd hate it if he was screwing with nice, smart people. But his tribe deserves to be screwed with if they're all going to defend and side with a tool like Ben.
Old 09-24-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Fuck it

Slash and burn is just as legitimate a strategy as secret alliances, flying under the radar, or physical domination so why is everyone Bitching?

HE FOUND THE IDOL BEFORE IT WAS ANNOUNCED AS BEING THERE
Old 09-24-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Russell is such an evil genius i cant wait to see what he does next. I expect it all to bite him in the ass but its fun to watch right now.
Old 09-24-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Russell is fucking awesome! If he gets voted out next week, all his haters will still be talking about him all season long. Face it, he is the star this season.
Old 09-24-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only is Russell the clear star of this season but he's playing a good game. People seem to be upset that he's lying. Who cares? This is a game where scheming, lying, and screwing your opponents is desired. In fact, I think outwiting and outplaying is what Survivor says it is about. If you outwit your teammates because they can't figure out you're a liar who is setting up other people then you deserve all the success you get.
Old 09-24-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Last week, I was sort of hoping that Betsy would be able take Russell down, but all she seemed to be able to do was flash her badge around. Which is probably going to be off-putting for a lot people.

Russell will probably be safe as long as he keeps Ben around to act as a lightening rod. (And, after merge, as long as the other tribe keeps Yasmin around, he should be gold for the final four.)
Old 09-24-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone think that Russell kinda looks like Charles Manson? I think it's the eyes.
Old 09-24-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Also, Yasmin is an idiot. Now an entire tribe hates her.
Old 09-24-09, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Fuck it

Slash and burn is just as legitimate a strategy as secret alliances, flying under the radar, or physical domination so why is everyone Bitching?

That's true... but it seems as if that idol is intended for the opposing tribe, no?
Old 09-24-09, 10:41 PM

I'm not watching now because, if I wanted to watch idiots and assholes I would just rather work a double at work, and at least get paid for doing it.
Old 09-24-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
That's true... but it seems as if that idol is intended for the opposing tribe, no?
It belongs to whoever finds it.

I wonder if they are going to do that every week...send one member of the winning tribe to the losing side for their tribal council. Maybe this is replacing exile island? If so, that's an interesting twist. Now the other tribe has an opportunity to affect who gets voted out on the opposing side. For example, they can attempt to get in their heads and have them vote out a good competitor.

Last edited by dino88; 09-24-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome that Russell found the idol before it was even officially announce as being part of the game.
I was waiting for Jasmine to tell him or Jostin the clue - I would have been lmao.

Now watch Foa Foa win the immunity challenge next week and they send Russell over with the other tribe.
He then reads the same clue that Jasmine got and gets the other idol because its hidden up a tree in that
camp. Or heck, he doesn't even read the clue, figures it has to be in the same place and while noone in the
other tribe is looking or heck they could be just standing there like his tribe was and he gets the other idol. LOL!!

Then he could go on and be eliminated without using either idol to save him.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 09-25-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-24-09, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silkk_34
I'm not watching now because, if I wanted to watch idiots and assholes I would just rather work a double at work, and at least get paid for doing it.
yeah, you already told us.
Old 09-24-09, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by wd65733
yeah, you already told us.

Didn't want anybody to be left out. I can Twitter it too.
Old 09-25-09, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silkk_34
I know this isn't a popular sentiment here, but I've also been watching since Season 1, and I had exactly the same thought. I think I may have finally had my fill of "reality" shows where the rules are set up so that sociopaths, who are not constrained by normally positive human characteristics like empathy and honesty, are at a distinct advantage over others. Yes, they all know that going in, and I don't feel bad for the players being manipulated... I just feel like it eats away at my soul for the sake of "entertainment."

And for the inevitable parade of posters ready to tell me that "that's the point of the game," yeah, I know... by telling people they can do anything short of choking each other to give themselves a shot at a million bucks, this is what you get. I've always been interested in the human dynamic, and yet I'm almost always disappointed by how people act when told that "anything goes." And that crap people say about how "it's all just part of a game" is such a copout... for example, there's no way on earth that Russell isn't a manipulative a-hole in real life. When it comes that naturally to someone, you can't just turn it on for a game and then turn it off when you're done. (Just like Natalie on Big Brother--there's no way for her to take a breath without a lie coming out.) I guess I should just be glad The Amazing Race is back this week... at least it's a show where acting like a sociopath is more likely to work against you.
Old 09-25-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

But how dare he look for the idol while everyone else shared stories of home and sang kumbaya around the fire in an effort to facilitate some sort of half-assed team synergy workshop?

The guy may be an abrasive tool, but he sure is there to play the game. I can't say that for sure about some of the rest, many of whom seem just "happy to be here."

And this is the point of the game in many respects, to see what different strategies players employ to get them to the end AND get jury votes. Some succeed, some fail miserably. Compare this to season one where only four people even thought of having a, well I guess you could call it a sort of an "alliance" (gasp!) and the others told how shameful a strategy that was as they marched to the tribal council slaughter one by one.
Old 09-25-09, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Ben gets the chance to smash Yasmin in a challenge and takes it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.