Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
WIZARD OF OZ - In High-Def on the Big Screen!

09/23/2009

NCM Fathom, Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies present The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event featuring the first ever High Definition presentation in movie theatres nationwide of The Wizard of Oz.

This One Night Event will take place in over 440 movie theatres nationwide on Wednesday, September 23rd at 7:00 p.m. (local time).

In addition to the feature presentation of The Wizard of Oz, this exclusive event will include a special introduction by Robert Osborne, a classic film historian and host of Turner Classic Movies, followed by “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” a look into how L. Frank Baum’s classic novel was transformed into one of the most beloved films of all time including archival interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and rare musical outtakes.

Also featured will be an exclusive clip of the Scarecrow, Ray Bolger, dancing in High-definition for the very first time.

Limited seats available – purchase your tickets today by entering your zip code above.

The colorful characters and unforgettable songs of The Wizard of Oz come alive as never before as the cinematic treasure is brought into the digital age with this entirely remastered Hi-Def presentation. Celebrating its 70th Anniversary, The Wizard of Oz originally opened at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in 1939. It received five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, and captured two Oscars® -- Best Song (“Over the Rainbow”) and Best Original Score -- plus a special award for Outstanding Juvenile Performance by Judy Garland.

Its magical story and heartfelt performances have enabled it to grow from a perennial classic to its current status as a treasured icon of popular culture.

Whether seeing it for the first time or the 100th time, it is only fitting that audiences nationwide will have the chance to enjoy the 70th Anniversary of this multi-generational favorite in movie theatres for an exclusive One Night celebratory event.

Wednesday, September 23rd, at theaters nationwide - I've got my tickets!!!

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Premiere/WizardofOz.aspx

You can buy tickets on-line, or go to the theater's box-office and buy them in advance without any extra charges.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 09-22-09 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event

Thanks for posting! Just bought tickets. Caught this the last time they did a theatrical re-release as well.
Old 09-22-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if they removed the "hanging dwarf" from this print.
Old 09-22-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I wonder if they removed the "hanging dwarf" from this print.

Sorry if my sarcasm detector is broken. It's been on the fritz.
You know that the "hanging dwarf" is a bird?
Old 09-22-09, 11:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed that with the intro, the film and the 'extras' the event is 2 hour and 20 minutes in duration.
Old 09-22-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

THE WIZARD OF OZ was filmed in 35mm 3-strip Technicolor. Not in Hi-Def. Find a good original 35mm print and show that. It was never meant to be seen in Hi-Def. This is disgusting. This event is not the work of people who love film, it's the work of people who love technology. Big difference.
Old 09-22-09, 01:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
THE WIZARD OF OZ was filmed in 35mm 3-strip Technicolor. Not in Hi-Def. Find a good original 35mm print and show that. It was never meant to be seen in Hi-Def. This is disgusting. This event is not the work of people who love film, it's the work of people who love technology. Big difference.
I agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is being screened using Christie 2K projectors like most of these "one night only" engagements of late (Halloween, Blues Brothers, etc.). You'll get a better picture at home when you buy the Blu-ray. This is a mockery.
Old 09-22-09, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
yes I agree, a film like this should be seen in 'film' form, how or why Warner's couldn't have done what it had done with the Final Cut of 'Blade Runner' and strike a few hundred prints than presenting this in 1080×1920 (low resolution when compared to what 35mm can deliver) is beyond me. Warner's should have least did what it did with the Landmark LA presentation 'Blade Runner' and actually provide actual 4K content and use an actual 4K projector - not present this as a 'Fathom' event.

Last edited by Giles; 09-22-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I agree. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is being screened using Christie 2K projectors like most of these "one night only" engagements of late (Halloween, Blues Brothers, etc.). You'll get a better picture at home when you buy the Blu-ray. This is a mockery.
the theatre near me (Mazza Galleria) that is presenting this doesn't even an actual DLP/LCoS unit, it's the projector that show's the pre-film ads and such - simply is not worth it IMO (in terms of resolution/light output).
Old 09-22-09, 01:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Warner could have done what they did in 1999 and struck new IB technicolor prints and show them in theaters. Hell, the old prints from 1999 are still in pristine condition.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-22-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was thinking about going to this, but a part of me thinks they will have it be projected in low quality digital projection - in which case I might as well just wait and buy the standalone Blu-ray when they release that. I would like to see it on the big screen though. Hmm....
Old 09-22-09, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Or they could have done what they did in 1999 and struck new IB technicolor prints and show them in theaters. Hell, the old prints from 1999 are still in pristine condition.
given how much the current price of the blu-ray collector's edition is fetching ($52) it's not like Warner Bros. is losing any money from this release. Some "new" prints from this restoration for archival use should be prerequisite.
Old 09-22-09, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
I was thinking about going to this, but a part of me thinks they will have it be projected in low quality digital projection - in which case I might as well just wait and buy the standalone Blu-ray when they release that. I would like to see it on the big screen though. Hmm....

I think it will depend on the theatre, just in the DC area (as in most any other market as well) there are technically three ways this will be projected

- Pre-film projectors
- 2K DLP
- 4K (Sony) LCoS

it's coming from the same source, but each projector will yield differing picture quality.
Old 09-23-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
nope, it's a munchkin. I knew him!

well either way, I wonder if they are going to remove the dwarf/bird in this new print.
Old 09-23-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Shit....I would love to go and it's playing in my area, but I have to work til 11p GRRRRRRRR
Old 09-23-09, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
well either way, I wonder if they are going to remove the dwarf/bird in this new print.
Why would they?
Old 09-23-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Why would they?
Middle of the shot in the trees.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r89z_-1by6U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r89z_-1by6U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-23-09, 09:35 PM

Just got back from seeing this at my local theater. Sorry, I don't know what was used for a projector, but the quality was very good in some scenes. Other scenes, not so much. There were some scenes where I could see the pores on Dorothy's face, and the colors of Munchkinland were excellent. But some scenes had a definite softness to them (no specific scene that I can remember right now).

No dirt or dust as I expected, but that was how the DVD was. Theater was about 2/3'rds full for the showing. I will be getting the Blu-ray on Tuesday.

Oh, and it is definitely a bird in the above scene. You see the bird earlier in the film when the find the Tin Man. Looks like a heron.

--John
Old 09-23-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to trash people going to see it and having a good time, but I am saddened by the misperception that Hi Def is superior to film because it's a newer format. I mean, Hi Def is a home video format, inferior to even a standard 2K theatrical presentation.... so how they can advertise essentially blowing up a blu-ray to the big screen as some sort of restoration, I can't fathom.

I'm sure the blu-ray itself is magnificent... for the TV in your living room.
Old 09-23-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Sure, Michael Vick is ostracized for dog fighting, but it is absolutely fine for Hollywood to hang birds just to drum up ticket sales ... hypocrites.
Old 09-24-09, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I'm not going to trash people going to see it and having a good time, but I am saddened by the misperception that Hi Def is superior to film because it's a newer format. I mean, Hi Def is a home video format, inferior to even a standard 2K theatrical presentation.... so how they can advertise essentially blowing up a blu-ray to the big screen as some sort of restoration, I can't fathom.

I'm sure the blu-ray itself is magnificent... for the TV in your living room.

well they did say it was a 'Fathom' event ...

some theatres in/around the DC area had two showings last night 7pm and 10pm - I couldn't make either.
Old 09-24-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This kind of proves a thought I have always had; some movies were not made to be shown in Hi-Def and a transfer will not do them much good. Older movies, IMO, seem to look worse in Hi-Def than ones shot with the technology in mind. Ones from the late 70s or so don't look bad, but anything from the golden age of film doesn't really have its strengths illustrated as much as its weaknesses amplified when converted.
Old 09-24-09, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
This kind of proves a thought I have always had; some movies were not made to be shown in Hi-Def and a transfer will not do them much good. Older movies, IMO, seem to look worse in Hi-Def than ones shot with the technology in mind. Ones from the late 70s or so don't look bad, but anything from the golden age of film doesn't really have its strengths illustrated as much as its weaknesses amplified when converted.
don't tell Criterion that or they'll beat you with a stick. IMO, I don't agree with you.
Old 09-24-09, 10:24 AM

question to any New Yorker who's seeing this on Saturday at the New York Film Festival at Tully Hall - I'd assume this a digital projection - correct?
Old 09-24-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was disappointed that my theatre was showing it on their awful pre-film digital projector. And I know that they have high quality digital projectors, they show Digital 3D films all the time, they could use those right?. I got a refund, and probably would've got one even if it was properly projected because the crowd was horrendous. It was also really really cold.