DVD Talk
Jethro Tull - Live At Madison Square Garden 1978 (DVD/CD) (10/20/09) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jethro Tull - Live At Madison Square Garden 1978 (DVD/CD) (10/20/09)

cracksky
09-18-09, 06:47 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Madison-Square-Garden/dp/B002IR3PSC/

Monday, October 14, 1978 marked a very special event in music history. Performing live from Madison Square Garden, Jethro Tull became the first rock group to appear live from America on British TV. The performance was part of the US tour supporting their first full length concert album, Bursting Out: Jethro Tull - Live. This set includes a DVD of 14 tracks in 5.1 surround sound quality audio, and a CD of 11 tracks.

From the Back Cover

DVD:
1. Sweet Dream
2. One Brown Mouse
3. Heavy Horses
4. Opening
5. Thick As A Brick
6. No Lullaby (Including Flute Solo)
7. Songs From The Wood
8. Band Intro
9. Quatrain
10. Aqualung
11. Locomotive Breath (Including Dambusters March)
12. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll
13. My God/Cross Eyed Mary
14. Locomotive Breath (Encore) (Including Dambusters March)

Bonus CD:
1. Sweet Dream
2. One Brown Mouse
3. Heavy Horses
4. Thick As A Brick
5. No Lullaby (Including Flute Solo)
6. Songs From The Wood
7. Quatrain
8. Aqualung
9. Locomotive Breath (Including Dambusters March)
10. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll
11. My God/Cross Eyed Mary

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410N2Nu4LwL._SS400_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NLWPgBGqL._SS400_.jpg

JOE29
09-18-09, 07:26 PM
This looks pretty cool. I'll have to look into this further as the specs and songs become available. 5.1 I hope?

cracksky
09-18-09, 07:46 PM
This looks pretty cool. I'll have to look into this further as the specs and songs become available. 5.1 I hope?

Yes, it's hard to read the back cover but this has:

5.1 DTS Surround Sound
5.1 Dolby Digital
2.0 LPCM

Subgeniusguy
09-19-09, 07:03 AM
Nice find.

JOE29
09-19-09, 11:14 AM
Yes, it's hard to read the back cover but this has:

5.1 DTS Surround Sound
5.1 Dolby Digital
2.0 LPCM

I'll check it out, but i'm disapointed theres nothing from Warchild on here.
Aqualung and Warchild are my favorites.

ken_572002
09-19-09, 07:10 PM
This was the last of the original Tull band. During the recording of the following year's "Stormwatch", Jeffery Hammond-Hammond became ill, and would not be able to finish the album. Although it was a decent release, you could tell the band's heart was not entirely in it. The next album "A" should have been an Ian Anderson solo release, but the record company was not ready to take Tull's name off a release. At this point Anderson was not sure of who should continue with the Tull band, so Bursting Out was pretty much the last output from the band that put out all those classic albums from '68 to '78.

This release is the original lineup in their final outing....certainly a purchase I'll be getting.

cracksky
09-20-09, 01:12 AM
The next album "A" should have been an Ian Anderson solo release, but the record company was not ready to take Tull's name off a release.

The "A" was simply there for Anderson because it was a solo record at first but released as Tull.

Misery
09-28-09, 06:49 PM
This was the last of the original Tull band. During the recording of the following year's "Stormwatch", Jeffery Hammond-Hammond became ill, and would not be able to finish the album. Although it was a decent release, you could tell the band's heart was not entirely in it. The next album "A" should have been an Ian Anderson solo release, but the record company was not ready to take Tull's name off a release. At this point Anderson was not sure of who should continue with the Tull band, so Bursting Out was pretty much the last output from the band that put out all those classic albums from '68 to '78.

This release is the original lineup in their final outing....certainly a purchase I'll be getting.

Actually the band lineup for these concerts were Ian Anderson,Martin Barre,John Evan,Barriemore Barlow,Tony Williams who replaced John Glascock who was ill at the time,and David Palmer.
A little Tull history on lineups of the band.
"This Was"(1968)-Ian Anderson,Glen Cornick (bass),Mick Abrahams (Guitar),Clive Bunker (drums).
"Stand Up"(1969)-Anderson,Cornick,Bunker and Martin Barre (Guitar) who replaced Abrahams.
"Benefit"(1970)-Anderson,Barre,Cornick,Bunker and John Evan(keyboards).
"Aqualung"(1971)-Anderson,Barre,Bunker,Evan and Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond (bass) who replaced Cornick.
Thick As A Brick"(1972)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Hammond-Hammond,Barriemore Barlow (drums) who replaced Bunker.
"Passion Play" (1973)- Anderson,Barre,Evan,Hammond-Hammond and Barlow.
"War Child"(1974)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Hammond-Hammond and Barlow.
"Minstrel In The Gallery"(1975)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Hammond-Hammond,Barlow.David Palmer(keyboards) joined band on tour.
"Too Old To Rock n' Roll:Too Young To Die"(1976)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Barlow,Palmer and John Glascok who replaced Hammond-Hammond.
"Songs From The Wood"(1977)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Barlow,Palmer and Glascock.
"Heavy Horses"(1978)-Anderson,Barre,Evan,Barlow,Palmer and Glascock.For the tour Tony Williams replaced John Glascock who was ill at the time and would later pass away in 1979.The live album "Bursting Out" was recorded on this tour which is featured on the new DVD/CD. Still one of the prime lineups of Tull who would forever change after the "Stormwatch"(1979) album.I was at the concert in 1978 featured on this release.Band was in great form.We were even treated to "Locomotive Breath" being played twice-once during the broadcast part of the show and later as the last encore.Tull fans should all be happy as to get a concert DVD from the band when it was still in it's golden era.

alfonsosoriano
09-28-09, 11:16 PM
Siiiick!

JOE29
10-16-09, 12:55 AM
I just found out that there is only 50 minutes of the 90 minute concert on this DVD.
The rest is just picture stills to music? I was planning on getting this on release day
but now that I heard the concert is cut, I'm going to have to hold off on this and wait
for a price drop. I still will buy this, but at a later date.

cracksky
10-16-09, 01:50 PM
I just found out that there is only 50 minutes of the 90 minute concert on this DVD.
The rest is just picture stills to music? I was planning on getting this on release day
but now that I heard the concert is cut, I'm going to have to hold off on this and wait

From an Amazon UK Review:
the original broadcast only features 50 minutes of recorded footage, but Jethro Tull played an hour and a half long concert so the cd contains a 78 minute long version of the concert (with all the dead air and segments without music edited out) while the DVD contains the full video concert, plus seven audio only bonus tracks and you can choose to either `play all,' or `play video only.' Perhaps this was an inelegant solution but considering the fact that the rest of the concert wasn't filmed it seems to me the best solution available given the circumstances.

samnari
10-21-09, 09:04 PM

what is the price in your mind...let me know? i am also waiting...

SanityRemoved
10-22-09, 01:13 AM
"the rest of the concert wasn't filmed"

This sounds a bit crazed. Film crew and equipment there and they only film certain songs? If there was a malfunction filming would they have repeated those songs? I'm really not buying that story. Tull has been somewhat prolific in regards to use of film.

cracksky
10-22-09, 04:24 AM
"the rest of the concert wasn't filmed"

This sounds a bit crazed. Film crew and equipment there and they only film certain songs? If there was a malfunction filming would they have repeated those songs? I'm really not buying that story. Tull has been somewhat prolific in regards to use of film.

From http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/78.htm
8/10/78 Madison Square Garden NYC, NY. USA
Pelted by steel bolts from audience members behind the stage, and disturbed by firecrackers, Ian threatened to pull out of the following night's satellite broadcast.
Audience: 20,000.

9/10/78 Madison Square Garden NYC, NY. USA
Madison Square Garden 1978 or Telstar
First ever Transatlantic simultaneous TV broadcast.
Officially released on CD & DVD in 2009.
Audience: 20,000.
Broadcast set (~45 mins of the ~105 min. show):
Thick As A Brick, No Lullaby, Flute Solo, Pibroch (inst.), Songs From The Wood, Quatrain/Aqualung, Locomotive Breath/Dambusters March, Conundrum (w. drum solo)

10/10/78 Madison Square Garden NYC, NY. USA
Four shows were scheduled to be played at Madison Square Garden, but one was cancelled, allegedly due to Yom Kippur. This is the most likely date of the cancelled show.

11/10/78 Madison Square Garden NYC, NY. USA

From another UK Amazon reviewer:
Being a satellite broadcast from 30 years ago the picture quality is variable, sometimes quite good, at others...well. But overall you can't really complain. The concert actually started 15 or so minutes before the satellite broadcast so there is no video footage of this, instead we get some still concert images over the first three songs, then the broadcast begins and Tull come back on stage as if just starting the concert, this for the 'home' audience who have just joined, the end of the concert is the same with still images over the second encore. And a cracking concert it is with Ian Anderson in full flow, and the rest of the band really tight and giving it their all- brilliant stuff- this really is the Concert DVD Jethro Tull fans have been waiting for, an excellent package which could only have been bettered had it been shot on 35mm film with an anamorphic transfer.