Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : People asking for money who ran out of gas...

Alan Smithee
09-14-09, 03:18 AM
A bunch of times (including tonight), usually at a drive-thru, I've had people come up to me saying that their car just ran out of gas and they didn't bring any cash or credit cards, and they're at least 100 miles from home, so they ask me for a few dollars for enough gas to get home.

Seriously, why would you drive out of your area with nothing in your pocket and not even make sure your car was filled up beforehand, and even if you were stupid enough to do that, what the hell would make you think a complete stranger would care enough to hand over a few bucks???

The one I got tonight said the police were going to tow her car if she left it for too long- I told her to just wait for them and they'd help her out, assuming her story was true. I wonder if panhandlers hang out together and come up with stories to use when asking people for money?

Poink
09-14-09, 03:41 AM
I've had this happen a few times. Once it was a guy outside the local liquor store; I knew the story was bullshit 'cause I figured if he REALLY needed gas, he'd have better luck asking at the gas station that was a block away. I still gave the fucker a few dollars, since I didn't want to deprive anyone that desperate to get drunk.

The second time was at the gas station I mentioned before. The lady actually had a small gas can with her, so I squirted a dollar or two into her can while I filled my own tank. Sounds pretty sexy when I word it that way...

FinkPish
09-14-09, 03:41 AM
Who the hell doesn't have a credit card or at least a bank debit card? I had a guy ask for money for gas, so I gave him a few bucks, then he got in his car and drove off, without filling up. I wish I had had a brick.

antennaball
09-14-09, 04:17 AM
It's a common spare-change scam. I get to run those people out of parking lots all the time.

Living Dead
09-14-09, 04:51 AM
The lady actually had a small gas can with her...

This is pretty much the only way I'd give someone money who gave me this line of BS. In LA, you get asked for money by homeless people nearly every time you go out. At some point, you just have to stop caring or you'll be giving out money everywhere you go.

big whoppa
09-14-09, 05:23 AM
It's really bad in SF. They wait right outside fast-food drive throughs. When I brought it up to an employee at Jack in the Box, he said it was due to the economy and they're out of a job. Sorry but I doubt that was the case. Also, they stand at stop lights and busy intersections. Dangerous for them and the drivers. Many just sit outside stores. Some are in wheel chairs and so go around on one leg. Men have come up to me while I'm pumping gas too which can be a little scary at night.

nickdawgy
09-14-09, 06:43 AM
I was out working one time, and had top stop at Target for some supplies. This dude was asking for money for gas. The next week, the same Target, same dude asking for gas again.

:lol:

maxfisher
09-14-09, 07:01 AM
This happens pretty frequently around here. I usually just say, "I'm sure the gas station has a spare container they can loan you. If you get it from them, I'll fill it up for you." I've yet to have anyone take me up on the offer.

dtcarson
09-14-09, 07:55 AM
I was actually approached by someone at a gas station who said this. I said pull up here and I'll put five bucks in after I fill my tank. He actually did. Then again, most people wouldn't turn down free gas.

I never give cash to anyone I don't know who's not affiliated with an actual organization (and usually not then, either).

SterlingBen
09-14-09, 08:48 AM
It's a common scam.

fujishig
09-14-09, 11:36 AM
Went to a socal mall recently, and had some woman who apparently couldn't speak "sign" to me that she was starving and had no money, so I gave her some. The people sitting next to me said that she had talked (!) to them just a half hour ago and said that she had run out of gas and needed money. We saw here circle the food court like 6 or 7 times while we were eating. I remember when I at least used to get a trinket when I gave out money to the deaf...

Still better, to me, then the guys who insist on washing your windows with their dirty water. They wait at the stoplight, then proceed to wash your window even if you refuse, and then if you don't "tip" them they get angry...

DeputyDave
09-14-09, 11:54 AM
99.999% of the time this is a scam.

I fell for a variation of it one time. A co-worker and I were walking across the Mexican border in San Ysidro (the ped crossing) when a 20 something clean cut guy approached us. He had obviously been in a fight and his clothing looked torn, He told us that he had been jumped by the police in TJ and robbed (it certainly happens). He had no money and no wallet or ID. He said he was a Marine out of Camp Pendleton (about 50 to 60 miles North) and needed $8.00 more to get a bus back to base. Both of us were former military and had had trouble in TJ so we gave him $20 to get some food and his ticket,

About 4 hours later we crossed back into the US and he came up to us and started his spiel again. I stopped him and said, "Sorry, you already scammed us."

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-14-09, 12:07 PM
this one time, two guys at a gas station said they were students and needed money to go to school. like an idiot, i gave the cashier a few bux (so as to make sure that at least they got gas), and then a little later, they asked money to buy drinks. ugh.

another time, a fairly attractive brunette in her late teens/early 20s asked me for money for gas. her car was probably worth at least twice what my car was worth, probably more.

Went to a socal mall recently, and had some woman who apparently couldn't speak "sign" to me that she was starving and had no money, so I gave her some. The people sitting next to me said that she had talked (!) to them just a half hour ago and said that she had run out of gas and needed money. We saw here circle the food court like 6 or 7 times while we were eating. I remember when I at least used to get a trinket when I gave out money to the deaf...

hey, better than what i saw on the news one time...a pastor or something was giving out money to the poor, and he would give $100 to people who are handicapped. a man in a wheelchair begging him for money, and later, MIRACULOUSLY was able to get up and WALK! :eek:

Still better, to me, then the guys who insist on washing your windows with their dirty water. They wait at the stoplight, then proceed to wash your window even if you refuse, and then if you don't "tip" them they get angry...

i hate that. and, most of the time, they do a horrible job. and there's nothing you can say that will stop them from cleaning your windshield.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-14-09, 12:10 PM
About 4 hours later we crossed back into the US and he came up to us and started his spiel again. I stopped him and said, "Sorry, you already scammed us."

:lol: rotfl:

i had a guy once ask me for money so he can go to mcdonalds to buy food. minor problem. there wasn't a mcdonalds probably within a 1/2 mile radius.

i was walking through a park area, this guy sitting on the bench approached me asking for money for a bus ticket...yeah, at least, if you were trying to get money for a bus stop, i think you should at least pretend to stand near it.

dick_grayson
09-14-09, 12:22 PM
I had this happen to me at a gas station a couple months back. It was some repair-dude who said he'd just fixed his van and work was slow and needed money for gas. I knew it was a scam and told him "I don't have any money" and then went in and bought lottery tickets. Anyway, I was outside of my work a couple weeks ago and the same dude approached me and went into the same routine. I didn't mention that he'd tried it on me a few months back since I didn't feel like getting into shit for calling the guy out.....not to mention the beatdown he would have gotten had he gotten hostile.

Anyway, I also get the "I locked my baby in my car and need money for a tow company." The dude was in front of a fire station so I told him to go there and they'd open it. He said walked away w/o saying anything. Then I also get the "I just got out of jail and they dropped me off in the wrong location" bit. This hasn't happened in a few years but used to happen fairly often. Beyond that, my being "white" seems to come up each time for some reason. AKA "I realize you probably won't help me because you're white" or "All the other white people said no, but I figured I'd ask you..." kind of thing. That doesn't help their cause.

Groucho
09-14-09, 12:27 PM
There's no tow company in the world that wouldn't rescue a baby for free. But that said if I ever locked a kid in the car I'd use this low-tech method:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8397/singlebrick5589152.jpg

Bottom line is that these stories never stand even the slightest scrutiny.

Hokeyboy
09-14-09, 12:32 PM
I've noticed they're getting younger and younger. Used to be sorta stringy, mid-late 30s white guys who did this. Now I'm seeing more late teens/early 20s women. :dance:

Tracer Bullet
09-14-09, 12:33 PM
My favorite scam is one that is fairly new (at least to me, never seen it before). Some guy dressed in regular casual clothes with no identification goes through the train claiming to be representing some operating-on-a-shoestring charity that has fed some number of homeless people or families, and can't you please spare some change?

It's actually a little better on the train because at least they're not asking you directly.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-14-09, 12:38 PM
guess they missed the no solicitation signs...

RagingBull80
09-14-09, 12:40 PM
I will occasionally give out the loose change in my pocket just to get people to leave me alone. The best story I ever got was a guy asking for money to buy diarrhea medicine for his kid. I had never heard that one before.

dick_grayson
09-14-09, 12:43 PM
There's no tow company in the world that wouldn't rescue a baby for free. But that said if I ever locked a kid in the car I'd use this low-tech method:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8397/singlebrick5589152.jpg

Bottom line is that these stories never stand even the slightest scrutiny.

I mentioned that, I think. I said, "If my baby was locked in the car, I'd probably break the window." I may have even offered to help him do so.... ;)

Groucho
09-14-09, 01:05 PM
Tip: don't break the window nearest the baby!

Unclejosh
09-14-09, 01:58 PM
Who the hell doesn't have a credit card or at least a bank debit card? I had a guy ask for money for gas, so I gave him a few bucks, then he got in his car and drove off, without filling up. I wish I had had a brick.

I never don't have cash on me, but I don't have a credit or bank debit card.

boogieman03
09-14-09, 02:32 PM
Yup. I dread having to fill up with gas because this is becoming all to common.

I actually felt a little bad not throwing the guy a couple of bucks until I saw him take off from the gas station and haul ass down the road.

Saw another person pull into the gas station, circle around, ask me for money and then go to the KFC next door when I turned them down.

Out of gas huh? F you.

redstang93
09-14-09, 02:56 PM
While on travel for work, I saw a guy by the off ramp with his gas can. After someone gave him money he walked toward the gas station till the car drove off, then walked back to his spot for the next car to come along.

The worst though was when my wife and I were leaving the hospital at like 2 in the morning after she had been in a car accident. I just gave some money to the guy because I didn't want to deal with him at all.

Drexl
09-14-09, 03:07 PM
guess they missed the no solicitation signs...

You know, a long time ago, I thought those signs were just referring to prostitution. I had only really heard the word "soliciting" in the context of sex.

MBoyd
09-14-09, 03:11 PM
This has happened to me numerous times. Mostly in gas stations, But back in July it happened in front of Caesars Palace. I was digging around my camera bag and a ragged dirty long-haired guy comes up opens his hand and says "Look here. Do you know what this is?" It was a fuse. He then goes into a sob story about how he needs gas AND fuses for his car. I said "Look dude, I'm here on vacation, don't hassle me for this shit." He walks off and says "Yeah!?! I was on vacation too!!!!" :lol:

Nugent
09-14-09, 03:17 PM
If people would cease giving these bums shit they would eventually stop when they realized it didn't work.

Obviously it works for them or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Heat
09-14-09, 03:32 PM
The only time this happened to me was about five years ago. Back then I smoked and had this clean cut guy come up and ask for gas money. Normally the bums are pretty shabby so I didn't pick up on the fact that this guy was a bum right away. He said his wife and daughter were in the car and it ran out of gas. I asked where it was, he pointed down the street. I told him to go to a church and they may give him some gas money. He stopped asking me for money and went through the ash tray, picking out a handful of cigarettes that had at least a half inch of tobacco left on them. He asked me for a light - I gave him one.

Dave7393
09-14-09, 03:45 PM
Michael Douglas had the right idea (start the video at :50)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwP2vV6Wm1Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwP2vV6Wm1Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Giantrobo
09-14-09, 03:45 PM
Last week on my way to see AC/DC I gave a guy 4 bucks who claimed he needed a gallon of gas. Was he scamming me? Who knows, who cares. I did my part to help someone...

kenbuzz
09-14-09, 04:05 PM
All you did was help the rest of us get hassled by these bastards. Thanks, GR.

Brent L
09-14-09, 04:12 PM
I remember when I at least used to get a trinket when I gave out money to the deaf...

I started the following thread a while back about that very sort of thing, and I still think it was odd and likely a scam of some sort:

Hi, I'm deaf. Let's be friends, I love you. Give me money. (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/500037-hi-im-deaf-lets-friends-i-love-you-give-me-money.html)

kenbuzz
09-14-09, 04:26 PM
Quoting myself from that thread....
I had a deaf girlfriend, dated an interpreter for a long time, was marginally active in the deaf community, was a member of an ASL "singing" group, interpreted church services, taught ASL at the local Air Force Base, and was just a couple of field hours away from completing my Manual Communication degree before I moved from Ohio. I'm not deaf and can't speak for their community, but I think you can trust me on this one - the deaf pretty much univerally look down upon panhandlers peddling these ASL cards. Do not give them money.

One time I was approached at LAX. I looked at the card, looked at the panhandler, and started asking him (in ASL, of course) if he was really deaf and what kind of reaction he would expect to get if he were to hand the card to a deaf man who was a LOT bigger than him. I think he got the message - he apologized and took off running.The deaf HATE people using their handicap as an excuse to beg for money. Worse still are asshats posing as members of a handicapped community for the same reason.

Give money to people claiming to need gas, or who say they locked their babies in cars if you want, but do NOT give these people a dime. Kick them in the ass.

Shamus McAnally
09-14-09, 04:54 PM
Had a new variation on this recently.

This past winter, at a Red Robin in PA, my buddy and I were eating our dinner when a family, very adequately/properly dressed, comes walking in and stands in the waiting area.

The older fellow walks in, looks around, and walks to our table. As politely as you can imagine, he launches into a story about how he drove his family a long way (he had on an Ohio State jogging suit/windbreaker & pant set) and that he'd left his wallet at home; they were sans (any form of) payment and that if we'd kindly loan him enough money to pay for dinner so he didn't disappoint or embarrass his family, he would be ever so gracious and take our addresses and reimburse us just as soon as they returned home. I immediately said all I had was a CC and that I was paying for my buddy's dinner for his birthday (so my buddy could tag off that and say he had no money) and apologized I couldn't help.

He proceeded to a family at the far back wall of the restaurant. Our waitress came right up and asked us what he said. We told her and she said "Yeah, he's a regular; a manager had to throw him out last week." and ran and got a manager who followed the other manager's lead and threw him out as well.

I found it pretty brazen that he a) tried to strike in the same restaurant so quickly, and b) while he didn't ask for any particular amount ofmoney, he didn't hesitate in letting us know that he needed to be able to pay for dinner for his entire family.

Giantrobo
09-14-09, 05:20 PM
All you did was help the rest of us get hassled by these bastards. Thanks, GR.

Really?

Do you know for sure the guy didn't really need gas? Did you know him personally? Do you have access to his bank accounts? His Wallet?

dick_grayson
09-14-09, 05:21 PM
Really?

Do you know for sure the guy didn't really need gas? Did you know him personally? Do you have access to his bank accounts? His Wallet?

can't he take the bus or something? call a friend? anything that isn't sketchy?

Giantrobo
09-14-09, 05:24 PM

We were at the gas station and his car was right there. Like i said, I don't know if he was scamming me; but I didn't care because I had the extra cash. All he asked for was enough for a gallon and nothing else. He didn't even give me a sob story.

Living Dead
09-14-09, 05:54 PM
We were at the gas station and his car was right there. Like i said, I don't know if he was scamming me; but I didn't care because I had the extra cash. All he asked for was enough for a gallon and nothing else. He didn't even give me a sob story.

Beginning tomorrow, can I stand stand outside your house every morning and ask for money? Seems like you don't care who you give it to or even if you're scammed. I'll never have to work again and you'll have the knowledge that you did your part to help someone.

Win - Win

MBoyd
09-14-09, 06:00 PM

Made me remember another one. Filthy guy walked into a Courtyard Marriot lobby where I was visiting a friend who worked there. He goes into a spiel about his GF leaving him at Potbelly Sandwiches and he needed money for the bus to get home. It was his lucky day. I had just taken the train downtown and back so I let him have my ticket which was good for bus fare the rest of the day. I think he walked away a little disappointed.

Minor Threat
09-14-09, 09:00 PM
Thi is why I havea zip lock full of pennies in my vehicle and dump it on the ground when asked for money.....

CharlieK
09-14-09, 09:15 PM
I had a guy come to my HOUSE asking for gas money. We lived on a street that had a lot of pedestrian traffic, and the guy came up and rang the doorbell. I assumed it was a scam, but also thought that this guy could be casing the house.

Later I had the thought that maybe it was a guy who often used the gas scam, was trying to branch into something new like robberies, but couldn't think of a different story to use.

calhoun07
09-14-09, 09:19 PM
A bunch of times (including tonight), usually at a drive-thru, I've had people come up to me saying that their car just ran out of gas and they didn't bring any cash or credit cards, and they're at least 100 miles from home, so they ask me for a few dollars for enough gas to get home.

Seriously, why would you drive out of your area with nothing in your pocket and not even make sure your car was filled up beforehand, and even if you were stupid enough to do that, what the hell would make you think a complete stranger would care enough to hand over a few bucks???

The one I got tonight said the police were going to tow her car if she left it for too long- I told her to just wait for them and they'd help her out, assuming her story was true. I wonder if panhandlers hang out together and come up with stories to use when asking people for money?

If you believe those stories, I ran out of gas then too. Pay Pal me some money.

I doubt the panhandlers hang out together, but they know the best way to get money from gullible people. I hear it works best when it's raining out.

Once I had a guy walk up to me to ask for money for his car that was out of gas. Then a few days later I went to the grocery store up the street and he was walking the parking lot, only this time his car was broken down. I told him he tried that story with me a couple days ago and when I got into the store I informed their security guard to the scam going on in their parking lot.

calhoun07
09-14-09, 09:21 PM
I had a guy come to my HOUSE asking for gas money. We lived on a street that had a lot of pedestrian traffic, and the guy came up and rang the doorbell. I assumed it was a scam, but also thought that this guy could be casing the house.

Later I had the thought that maybe it was a guy who often used the gas scam, was trying to branch into something new like robberies, but couldn't think of a different story to use.

I would bet you were being cased.

Think about it: if these people were that desperate to get gas in their car, they would fill up and drive off. Granted, there are more and more stations that require prepay but this has been going on for years, long before stations started to go with prepay.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-14-09, 09:24 PM
Made me remember another one. Filthy guy walked into a Courtyard Marriot lobby where I was visiting a friend who worked there. He goes into a spiel about his GF leaving him at Potbelly Sandwiches and he needed money for the bus to get home. It was his lucky day. I had just taken the train downtown and back so I let him have my ticket which was good for bus fare the rest of the day. I think he walked away a little disappointed.

but...hmmm...i think those tickets are non-transferable, so you just broke the law! :eek:

on another note, someone was looking to buy a train ticket, they were a dollar or two short, so they gave me the money they had, and i paid for the entire ticket on my card. they were very thankful. i don't mind helping, when i know that it's going to something useful like transit pass, food, etc.

Troy Stiffler
09-14-09, 09:43 PM
My sister once bought a homeless guy some food (Panda Express). He was standing outside, begging for food money. She got him a small (single entree) plate of rice. He chucked it back at her when she gave it to him.

When I was 16-or-so, downtown Phoenix, by myself, at the movie theater, a sketchy guy came up and gave me the full story about his broken down car. But he kept insisting and insisting. And he told me that I could go over and meet his family if I wanted (they were just over there! *points*). Being by myself, late at night, not too many people around, young and tight asshole'd, I was nervous scared. Seriously, probably the scariest 'immediate personal safety' situation I've ever been in. Well, maybe second, next to a road rage incident. But I just kind of drifted towards the theater's box office while when I realized he wasn't going to leave me alone.

Fuck beggers. They're all liars. No matter how good the girl looks or whatever, if someone is really out there without a credit card, a couple bucks, etc., you are really really messed up. Too far gone for me to help. And that dollar or two means nothing. I can't even imagine that mindset needed to get that down in the dumps.

Actually, to think of it, my car was filthy one day (I mean filthy, rain, then dust storm). I stopped at the gas station. A guy asked for a dollar to clean it up. I said 'sure'. He used the gas station stuff to clean it all up. He ended up cleaning it really good and I felt like giving him a $5 bill. How much smack or crack can you buy with $5? I hope he had a good time. He earned it.

calhoun07
09-14-09, 10:01 PM
When I was 16-or-so, downtown Phoenix, by myself, at the movie theater, a sketchy guy came up and gave me the full story about his broken down car. But he kept insisting and insisting. And he told me that I could go over and meet his family if I wanted (they were just over there! *points*). Being by myself, late at night, not too many people around, young and tight asshole'd, I was nervous scared. Seriously, probably the scariest 'immediate personal safety' situation I've ever been in. Well, maybe second, next to a road rage incident. But I just kind of drifted towards the theater's box office while when I realized he wasn't going to leave me alone.

A few weeks ago, I was standing outside a store with a friend of mine (and my dog) and this guy came up to us to beg for money. I don't remember his stupid story, but both me and my friend told him we didn't have any, but he kept on persisting, and my friend wound up pulling some loose change out of his pocket. Then he kept on doing like your encounter went...insisting and insisting that I give him money too. I rarely carry cash, and I had no cash on me at all, and I was afraid he was going to try to stick me up for my wallet or something. He just kept on coming closer to me with each insistence of wanting money, and I got a bit scared. And my dog would be no help...he's a golden retreiver, so I pulled him close to me so the guy might not try to hurt him in retaliation. He finally gave up and just walked away.

But I did think of one time when I was living in this small town in Minnesota and walking home from work I ran into a homeless guy who needed some money for food and I said I didn't have any money but I let him come back to my apartment and I fed him and he flopped on the couch over night. Of course, I slept with the bedroom door locked just in case, but the next day he got up and thanked me and went on his way, not asking for any money. Once in a while, there's somebody with genuine need out there, but they are pretty much outnumbered exponentially by the liars and crooks. (And I was quite young at the time, not the old, jaded man that sits at this keyboard today! I am not sure I would do that again, but I would probably offer to buy the person some food if anything.)

The Edit King
09-14-09, 10:22 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again:

Treesa & I give in good faith. We believe in the old saying, 'We reap what we sow, later and more that we plant', and in turn, 'What goes around comes around'. If folks are lying, that's their problem. We still get the Blessing and they'll reap a whirlwind of payback. It'd be better for them to have never even touched our money. We can't lose and we will not stop helping folks that really need it because some out there are full of crap.

-Paul & Tree

Dean Kousoulas
09-14-09, 10:28 PM
When I was younger my mom and I would go to the train station at night to pick up my father from work. Every night there would be a guy going from car to car asking for money because his car ran out of gas down the street.

He never caught on that we were there every weekday night, because he would ask us without fail every night.

calhoun07
09-14-09, 10:31 PM

Treesa & I give in good faith. We believe in the old saying, 'We reap what we sow, later and more that we plant', and in turn, 'What goes around comes around'. If folks are lying, that's their problem. We still get the Blessing and they'll reap a whirlwind of payback. It'd be better for them to have never even touched our money. We can't lose and we will not stop helping folks that really need it because some out there are full of crap.

-Paul & Tree

I hear ya, THEEK. But if they ask for food, I say give them food. Don't give up the cash! Not to be a tightwad, but that way if they genuinely needed the help (like the homeless guy I met who just needed a good meal and a place to sleep) they will appreciate it and take it and if they are liars their plan failed epically.

But I do have to say your POV makes me feel a bit better being scammed out of a few hundred dollars when I was a young lad starting out in life. (That's right...a few hundred! Long story, but I wouldn't do it again!)

And if you see the same fool over and over again asking for the same stuff with the same or different stories, that should give the wisest among us pause to offer the help so willingly.

The Edit King
09-14-09, 10:36 PM
We know better than to give over & over again to an obvious con.

I THOUGHT you'd give me more credit than that, my OtterVille Buddy, calhoun! -rolleyes-

-Paul

calhoun07
09-14-09, 10:37 PM
We know better than to give over & over again to an obvious con.

I THOUGHT you'd give me more credit than that, my OtterVille Buddy, calhoun! -rolleyes-

Of course I do!

The Edit King
09-14-09, 10:38 PM
Oh.

All right then.

( :lol: )

Adboy151
09-14-09, 10:38 PM
I get these at least three or four times a week going back and forth about a half mile from my parking garage to my office.

Usually it's the whole bus-fare-'cause-I-got-to-get-to-a-job-interview-this-ticket-is-wrong-they-wouldn't-let-me-transfer-blah-blah-blah. It's 7:00 in morning, I never carry cash and I don't believe your little story.

One guy tried to get my face once, but he didn't realize if I said "fuck you" loud enough at that time of today it has a tendency to draw the attention of the two cops who case my walking route getting their daily quota of overnight parking violations.

And there was that time in Europe on a vacation with my folks: By our third or fourth country of being panhandled in every metro, station and terminal, I just unleashed a three minute tirade on some guy -- a fellow American, backpacker, likely a couple years older than I was at the time -- after he walked up to me and said, "Hey could I..."

My dad said he turned around and I was just jumping down this kid's throat and the kid just has a look of panic on his face and just starts backing away. I don't remember what I said, 'cause I had just snapped at that point, but my dad still loves to tell that story.

Giantrobo
09-14-09, 11:00 PM
Beginning tomorrow, can I stand stand outside your house every morning and ask for money? Seems like you don't care who you give it to or even if you're scammed. I'll never have to work again and you'll have the knowledge that you did your part to help someone.

Win - Win

And If I had the extra cash I might give you some of it. But then again, you just admitted that you're about to scam me so I'd probably tell you go pound sand. ;)

Brent L
09-14-09, 11:07 PM
I know that there are a few of you here from upstate SC. Are any of you familiar with the Ingles grocery store in Anderson right down the road from the mall? If any of you want to see people doing this exact thing, go to that Ingles any night of the week, more so on Friday and Saturday night, and just walk in the store and right back out. It's almost a guarantee that someone will try to stop you.

It's really freaky, it almost only happens at night. I don't even go in that shopping center anymore at night because I literally don't think I've ever been to it without someone trying to stop everyone going in and going out.

I've heard it all, they need gas money, food for their family, water for their vehicle because it's overheated, it's insane.

NotThatGuy
09-14-09, 11:26 PM

Welcome to Baltimore.

dick_grayson
09-15-09, 12:20 AM
Thi is why I havea zip lock full of pennies in my vehicle and dump it on the ground when asked for money.....

to pull a "Splash" and look up homeless womens' skirts? :hscratch:

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-15-09, 01:36 AM

-Paul & Tree

but, the problem is, you could be hurting them more than helping them, for it is said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

also, one time, my dad gave some money to a homeless guy who begged for it, and the guy stole my dad's wallet! Oh, and we were on vacation in too...man, it's a nightmare, you can't rent a hotel without a credit card, even if you pay in advance, they won't give you the room w/o a credit card. and renting a car is a nightmare too.

so anyways, long story short, if you beg for money, sorry, you're out of luck. if you want food, i have given food to homeless, though a lot of them don't want it. one time, i gave my banana to this lady, she took it and ate it, but didn't look too happy.

i think, in the future, if someone asks for money for food, i'll just tell them to walk with me to the closest ff joint and buy them something. if they really want food, they'll come.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-15-09, 01:37 AM
Last week on my way to see AC/DC I gave a guy 4 bucks who claimed he needed a gallon of gas. Was he scamming me? Who knows, who cares. I did my part to help someone...

i need a gallon of gas too. can i have 4 bucks?

Drexl
09-15-09, 01:58 AM
i think, in the future, if someone asks for money for food, i'll just tell them to walk with me to the closest ff joint and buy them something. if they really want food, they'll come.

I've heard the suggestion to have McDonald's gift certificates to hand out.

My Other Self
09-15-09, 02:18 AM
This happens to me all the time. It's happened so many times in the Bay Area I lost count, but about a month or two back something just like this occurred when I was on my way to school.

I stopped off at this seedy pizza place that had glowing reviews (pizza sucked), but on my way in there were a group of teens outside. This one guy who looked like a total baller comes up to them and has a cup saying "Hey can you help me out, I just need 75 more cents. Then I'll be set" Didn't say what for, didn't explain himself. He precisely wanted 75 cents. So they gave him their change. I was around the corner so he didn't see me when I overheard his peddling.

So I'm on my way out and he comes up to me and gives me the same line. I turn to him and tell him "Really? Because I heard you hit up those kids a few minutes ago, you need another 75 cents? What happened to the change they gave you?" So, since he was had, the guy calls me a stupid honkey (he was black) and knocked the leftover pizza out of my hands. :lol:

I still get this all the time. I've been hit up numerous times at this one gas station I stop at on occasion but it's always someone new. Some young kid gave me some spiel about being short a couple of bucks for the bus, so when I gave him $2 I had in my pocket he asked me "Is this all you got?", then whipped out a roll of bills and added it to his stack.

I'm done being generous. There's ways to get money. When I was broke and homeless a few years ago I didn't resort to panhandling. I donated blood and did day labor to get by. So I have no sympathy for most people.

Living Dead
09-15-09, 02:19 AM
And If I had the extra cash I might give you some of it. But then again, you just admitted that you're about to scam me so I'd probably tell you go pound sand. ;)

DAMMIT! Foiled again!

Sonny Corinthos
09-15-09, 02:19 AM
I know that there are a few of you here from upstate SC. Are any of you familiar with the Ingles grocery store in Anderson right down the road from the mall? If any of you want to see people doing this exact thing, go to that Ingles any night of the week, more so on Friday and Saturday night, and just walk in the store and right back out. It's almost a guarantee that someone will try to stop you.

It's really freaky, it almost only happens at night. I don't even go in that shopping center anymore at night because I literally don't think I've ever been to it without someone trying to stop everyone going in and going out.

I've heard it all, they need gas money, food for their family, water for their vehicle because it's overheated, it's insane. Yeah, I know where you are talking about. Thanks for the warning.

Living Dead
09-15-09, 02:26 AM
The best line I ever heard was in Kentucky. A guy came up to me outside the library and asked for money for food. He was a big fat guy, probably almost 300 pounds. I guess he kind of read my mind, because he said, "the food ain't for me, it's for my kid." I asked him where his kid was, and he told me his kid didn't like to be seen in public because he didn't have any arms!!!

I started laughing at him. Whether it was true or not, it was so out of left field and so hilarious that I just couldn't help it. He cursed me out and walked away, but I was laughing for probably five minutes imagining some homeless kid with no arms.

Mosskeeto
09-15-09, 02:50 AM
Most panhandlers are pure BS artists, including some of the most pathetic looking ones. In NYC we get our fill of them on the streets and subway: a wrenching sight of a seemingly deformed gypsy looking woman hobbling around (on her double jointed ankles) with her tin cup, cane and rent-a-toddler...and some brown robed nuns who just don't appear right.

QuirkyMovieGirl
09-15-09, 03:22 AM
I get asked for money all the time where I work. I give money maybe ten percent of the time I'm asked. Sometimes because I feel like it and other times because I feel forced.

Case in point. A middle aged woman actually came into my office when we were open to clients and I was meeting with this couple. I asked if I could help her with something and she announced to the whole room that she needed money to purchase feminine hygiene products because she was on her period and was having to use toilet paper.

While she is declaring this to everyone in earshot I was already digging a couple bucks out of my purse to give her just to get her out of there. I figure that if she was willing to humiliate herself to that extent for whatever she needed the money for she'd earned it.

That said, with stuff like this, it's so easy to get cynical and group scamming panhandlers in with homeless people as a population. I think that this is wrong to do. In my experience there is a world of difference.

Superboy
09-15-09, 04:49 AM
I've had several people come up to me asking for gas money although every time, it was the real deal.

One guy was having trouble with his credit cards and couldn't get enough gas to get home. This was on the way to Vegas. I used my gas card and he cut me a check (which actually cashed, haha).

Other times... people were just in precarious situations. I didn't help them though.

I've been in that situation every now and then. Every time, I just called an operator, told them the situation, and they sent a highway patrol car to help me out with no questions asked.

JP5683
09-15-09, 05:33 AM
I was on State St a couple of weeks ago sitting on a bench just relaxing, and this guy comes down the street holding a sign asking for money.

I was wearing a T Shirt that said, "The Lord Is My Shepherd", and he comments on it, something like "good message", and I go, "Hmmmm?", he keeps on walking and says, "It doesn't matter if you don't practice what you preach!"

My Mom got caught with the scam of the guy who's stuck and needs money to get home. She wrote her address and phone number down, he said he'd mail the money later.

I don't get asked too much, usually if I walk amongst a lot of people I wear earbuds, that usually gets me past them.

dick_grayson
09-15-09, 09:57 AM
I was wearing a T Shirt that said, "The Lord Is My Shepherd"...

stingermck
09-15-09, 10:16 AM
My favorite story to tell happened in college. Me and a friend were back home for the weekend, and he was going to school in Philly, so he was getting good at dealing with pan handlers. We were coming out of Gamestop and we see a guy about to approach us. My friend says "I've got this"

So the guy starts saying he needs money, hungry etc etc. So my friend points to Sam's Club, across the parking lot and says "You see the building that says Sam's? Go in there, they have lots of free food samples."

The guy thanks us and starts walking toward Sam's, and we bust out laughing when we get to the car. I wonder if he made it past the door...

boogieman03
09-15-09, 10:34 AM
A few weeks ago, I was standing outside a store with a friend of mine (and my dog) and this guy came up to us to beg for money. I don't remember his stupid story, but both me and my friend told him we didn't have any, but he kept on persisting, and my friend wound up pulling some loose change out of his pocket. Then he kept on doing like your encounter went...insisting and insisting that I give him money too. I rarely carry cash, and I had no cash on me at all, and I was afraid he was going to try to stick me up for my wallet or something. He just kept on coming closer to me with each insistence of wanting money, and I got a bit scared. And my dog would be no help...he's a golden retreiver, so I pulled him close to me so the guy might not try to hurt him in retaliation. He finally gave up and just walked away.

But I did think of one time when I was living in this small town in Minnesota and walking home from work I ran into a homeless guy who needed some money for food and I said I didn't have any money but I let him come back to my apartment and I fed him and he flopped on the couch over night. Of course, I slept with the bedroom door locked just in case, but the next day he got up and thanked me and went on his way, not asking for any money. Once in a while, there's somebody with genuine need out there, but they are pretty much outnumbered exponentially by the liars and crooks. (And I was quite young at the time, not the old, jaded man that sits at this keyboard today! I am not sure I would do that again, but I would probably offer to buy the person some food if anything.)

And that's the problem. I would want to help somebody who really needs it. I don't want to help scammers.

There was another time at the gas station, where a guy comes up and asks for gas money (and gas since I told him I didn't have cash). He had a good setup too. His car was parked there at the pump with the hood up. His "wife" is sitting in the car. I start to fill my car, and actually feel a little guilty that this guy may really need help and I told him no. I even start fishing in my pockets looking for a few bucks. I watch him go to other people there and ask, getting denied every time. Luckily, by the time I finish filling up and cleaning my windows, I see him close the hood and drive off down the street.

Almost had me.

cungar
09-15-09, 11:07 AM
My favorite was a guy on century blvd in LA who said he needed a few bucks to buy a fan belt for his car that had snapped. I asked where he was going to buy the fan belt and he said they have them at 7-11.

Groucho
09-15-09, 11:12 AM
I've seen fan belts at 7-11.

cungar
09-15-09, 11:13 AM
I've seen fan belts at 7-11.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BtczAbOoL._SL160_.jpg

Gizmo
09-15-09, 11:29 AM
I hate these scum. They are everywhere down here in SoCal and I roll up my windows when they come a knockin'. Wish animal control would come collect them and dispose of them in some fashion.

The Edit King
09-15-09, 11:41 AM
^ I heard that! :up:

We never give to those career card carrying traffic jammers. :lol:

While at a stop light one day (I suppose he thought no one was looking), I saw one of those cardboard sign begger dudes standing near a bus bench and he whipped out a roll of cash the size of a grapefruit! :eek:but, the problem is, you could be hurting them more than helping them, for it is said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x148/paul3rd_bucket/paul3rd_bucket%202/1340952-1-if-you-are-close-enoug-1.jpg

-TEK! http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x148/paul3rd_bucket/king_hulk.gif

fujishig
09-15-09, 12:28 PM
I was on State St a couple of weeks ago sitting on a bench just relaxing, and this guy comes down the street holding a sign asking for money.

I was wearing a T Shirt that said, "The Lord Is My Shepherd", and he comments on it, something like "good message", and I go, "Hmmmm?", he keeps on walking and says, "It doesn't matter if you don't practice what you preach!"

My Mom got caught with the scam of the guy who's stuck and needs money to get home. She wrote her address and phone number down, he said he'd mail the money later.

I don't get asked too much, usually if I walk amongst a lot of people I wear earbuds, that usually gets me past them.

What the... why would she give out this info?

MBoyd
09-15-09, 01:30 PM
What the... why would she give out this info?

Very bizarre.

"Hey guys, I got this lady's address. Let's go see what other free shit we can score!"

My mom is crazy but on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as giving money. Her guru told her that if she gives money to a bum, bum goes and buys beer or drugs with the money, bum hurts or kills someone, then her karma is impacted.

I know. :lol: I know :hippie:

Living Dead
09-15-09, 02:07 PM
I hate these scum. They are everywhere down here in SoCal and I roll up my windows when they come a knockin'. Wish animal control would come collect them and dispose of them in some fashion.

So very true. It's pretty much impossible to go out anywhere in SoCal without being approached by somebody. Some of them are crazies too.

I had a guy try to wash my windows with dirty water at a stop light last week. I told him no, he starts anyway. i start yelling at him and he keeps going, yelling right back. So I laid on the horn for probably a full 30 seconds to make him go way.

ElementZ
09-15-09, 02:24 PM
The best line I ever heard was in Kentucky. A guy came up to me outside the library and asked for money for food. He was a big fat guy, probably almost 300 pounds. I guess he kind of read my mind, because he said, "the food ain't for me, it's for my kid." I asked him where his kid was, and he told me his kid didn't like to be seen in public because he didn't have any arms!!!

I started laughing at him. Whether it was true or not, it was so out of left field and so hilarious that I just couldn't help it. He cursed me out and walked away, but I was laughing for probably five minutes imagining some homeless kid with no arms.

I don't condone pan-handling, but if a guy gave me that as a story, I would throw him a few bucks just for giving me a good laugh.

islandclaws
09-15-09, 02:54 PM
Saw this lovely lass out and about...

"Need Help 5 Months Pergant"

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/KillerCannibal/photo1.jpg

The Edit King
09-15-09, 03:09 PM
HEY! I've seen her!

She was in Hollywood last year with the VERY SAME SIGN!!! :lol:

reverie
09-15-09, 03:13 PM
I'd probably need help if I were pergant too.

The Edit King
09-15-09, 03:16 PM
I'd probably need help if I were pergant too.:lol:

'IF' you were pergant is the keyword here. :up:

This woman has been 5 MONTHS pergant for at LEAST TWO YEARS! :lol:

(Don't let her fool you. That's a beer belly. :lol: )

-4 THEEK'$ $AKE! :eek:

OscarBluth
09-15-09, 03:49 PM
Case in point. A middle aged woman actually came into my office when we were open to clients and I was meeting with this couple. I asked if I could help her with something and she announced to the whole room that she needed money to purchase feminine hygiene products because she was on her period and was having to use toilet paper.
This is the one time it's ok to ask them to prove their story. Show me the bloody!

The Edit King
09-15-09, 03:54 PM
A while back, I was watching the Discovery Channel and some wildlife dude said that bears can actually pick up on the scent of a woman who's menstruating.

I say we take her to the zoo and introduce her to Yogi & Boo-Boo! :lol:

-Ranger Tek

reverie
09-15-09, 04:04 PM

'IF' you were pergant is the keyword here. :up:

This woman has been 5 MONTHS pergant for at LEAST TWO YEARS! :lol:

(Don't let her fool you. That's a beer belly. :lol: )

-4 THEEK'$ $AKE! :eek:

So drinking lots of beer causes pergancy? Well, at least I'm safe then!

Drexl
09-15-09, 04:09 PM
A while back, I was watching the Discovery Channel and some wildlife dude said that bears can actually pick up on the scent of a woman who's menstruating.

I say we take her to the zoo and introduce her to Yogi & Boo-Boo! :lol:

-Ranger Tek

Just don't have her light up a cigarette, or she'll attract Smokey too!

Alan Smithee
09-16-09, 05:33 AM

That's classic. I had some broad approach me in a Wal-Mart parking lot saying "Can you spare any change? I need to buy diapers and formula for my baby." I replied: "Shoulda used a condom." She quickly walked away.

superdeluxe
09-16-09, 08:46 AM
People just looking for money, I think the assumption is, that if they do not appear to be a pandhandler, but someone that just ran out of gas, people are more likely to help (which may be true)

superdeluxe
09-16-09, 08:50 AM
Oh I also love it when people say they want some money to buy food, so you buy them a sandwich, and they get pissed off lol.

Lastdaysofrain
09-16-09, 01:39 PM
I used to work in South Boston and this would happen frequently (it's a den of scum), one day a guy actually walked INTO my office and into the break room with his "I ran out of gas accross the street" routine and a bunch of people at work started pulling out their wallets. I said "where is your car" and he points vaguely accross the street, so I started grilling him:

"Which car?" "what's the license plate" and he's getting all nervous and then just grabs the money everyone was holding out and ran out of the building. I tried to explain to my coworkers what a "scam" is but they all just seemed to think I was a jerk.

Wazootyman
09-16-09, 03:15 PM
The other day at Target, I was on the checkout lane and there was a guy approaching random check lanes offering to trade them a gift card he had for money, because he needed to buy gas. The GSTL (person in charge of the checklanes) saw this and kicked him out. The very next person who walks up in line is making a fairly large purchase (about $350), because he had a $150 giftcard. Low and behold, suddenly it's gone.

Although we couldn't prove it, I'm thinking the first guy definitely stole it from the second one, so not only was he lying about the gas, he was a thief to boot. AKA, a winner!

fujishig
09-16-09, 03:56 PM
The other day at Target, I was on the checkout lane and there was a guy approaching random check lanes offering to trade them a gift card he had for money, because he needed to buy gas. The GSTL (person in charge of the checklanes) saw this and kicked him out. The very next person who walks up in line is making a fairly large purchase (about $350), because he had a $150 giftcard. Low and behold, suddenly it's gone.

Although we couldn't prove it, I'm thinking the first guy definitely stole it from the second one, so not only was he lying about the gas, he was a thief to boot. AKA, a winner!

If so, he's got to be the dumbest thief ever. He steals from a guy and tries to barter that gift card at the same store with the victim coming up the line? Seems unrelated to me (or he found it on the ground or something)

cungar
09-16-09, 04:11 PM
I've heard the suggestion to have McDonald's gift certificates to hand out.

Good idea! I can print out hundreds on my color printer and keep them in my car.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/good/community/upromise.RowPar.0004.ContentPar.0002.ColumnPar.0001.Image.0.0.gif

Duh Vuh Duh
09-16-09, 04:50 PM

That's classic, might have to make this thread like the people of walmart, but for begging signs.

Saw this great sign over the weekend, wish I would've gotten a picture of it, but it said "space ship is broken, need parts and supplies". Just thought it was rather creative and gave me a laugh.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-16-09, 05:11 PM
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. Being homeless in the upper-crust enclave of Beverly Hills is not like living on the street in other places.

There are handouts of $2,000 and bottles of Dom Perignon, lucky finds of Gucci shoes and diamond-encrusted bracelets, a chance to rub shoulders with rich and famous locals such as Mark Wahlberg and Master P, even empty houses to live in.

"This is the finest place you can be," said Isaac Young, 59, who has been homeless in Beverly Hills since 1992.

In the manicured community of 35,000, Rolls-Royces and Lamborghinis glide around city streets, movie stars live in gated mansions and Rodeo Drive price tags provoke gasps.

But the city also features about 30 rather scruffy residents who live in parks, bus shelters and alleyways.

They're an incongruous sight amid the shows of superfluous wealth, highlighting the pervasiveness of the huge homeless population in Los Angeles County. Some 74,000 people live on the streets or in shelters, making the county the nation's capital of homelessness.

But the homeless in Beverly Hills have access to something most street dwellers do not: rich people. They pull up in Porsches and SUVs offering trays of cooked food, designer clothing in dry-cleaner plastic and odd jobs.

"They have a sympathetic thing for us, and we're grateful for it," said a man with grizzled hair pulling a train of wheeled suitcases, an office chair and a stroller piled high with a bunch of items found in the trash. He would only identify himself as "Bond."

Sometimes life even imitates the 1986 movie "Down and Out in Beverly Hills," in which a homeless man (Nick Nolte) is taken in by a hoity-toity couple (Richard Dreyfuss and Bette Midler).

At a park where homeless people congregate next to the Good Shepherd Catholic Church, Young found a benefactor who is allowing him to live free for a year in an empty house in swanky Benedict Canyon. "He said 'Here's your second chance,' " said Young, who has lived in the TWA lounge at Los Angeles International Airport and on the streets of Hollywood, where he got wrapped up in drugs and alcohol. "I couldn't believe it."

A couple from Manhattan Beach who also befriended Young gave him furniture, he said.

Young, who cannot read or write but composes poetry in his head and performs it, has six more months in his Benedict Canyon abode. He panhandles to pay for expenses actor Wahlberg gave him new clothes but after a lifetime as a compulsive gambler and spender, he's learning to save money and wants to get an apartment.

advertising

Lucky breaks are one reason George, who would not give his last name, has lived in Beverly Hills for the past 16 years. "You never know what you're going to meet," he said, noting he once got $10 from Rod Stewart.

George, who sleeps on a building roof, said paparazzi and parking valets can be a problem when he panhandles outside celebrity haunts. But being close to wealth can lead to $100 handouts or finds such as gold jewelry, video cameras and an Armani suit.

He was so thrilled with the suit that he wore it panhandling until he noticed he wasn't doing too well. "You have to have a certain look to get sympathy: dirty, kind of stupid, not aware," he said.

He also knows an opportunity when he sees one. For a few months, he hung out in a vacant house, lounging by the pool drinking the liquor he found in a cabinet until the owner walked in on him. He fled.

Bond said some homeless avoid Beverly Hills because they're turned off by the uberwealthy, who require a certain amount of deference. "You have to be respectful and not act like an idiot.... We're the upscale bums."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008178171_bevhomes14.html

Anubis2005X
09-16-09, 05:35 PM
Good idea! I can print out hundreds on my color printer and keep them in my car.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/good/community/upromise.RowPar.0004.ContentPar.0002.ColumnPar.0001.Image.0.0.gif

rotfl Scamming the scammers...instant win!

calhoun07
09-16-09, 09:15 PM
but, the problem is, you could be hurting them more than helping them, for it is said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

also, one time, my dad gave some money to a homeless guy who begged for it, and the guy stole my dad's wallet!

Whenever anybody just comes up to me and asks for money the first thought I have is they want to see if I have a wallet, how much green is in it, then decide if it's worth mugging me for it or not.

Which is why I tend to say NO or ignore them all together.

movieguru
09-16-09, 09:24 PM
Had a guy do this to me at Sam's club a few years back. I had just purchased a slice of pizza and a drink and was in the condiments area putting a top and straw on my softdrink. The guy standing next to me starts by saying "how you doing?". Then he says " I don't have any cash. Do you have a few dollars so I can get someting to eat". I look down at the hotdog in his hand that he is putting ketchup on as he is asking me this. When he sees me look, he just laughs and I walk away ignoring him. Don't know if he was joking or not but it seemed pretty stupid.

mhg83
09-16-09, 09:26 PM

hmmm. I know one way she could help me :eyebrow:

My Other Self
09-16-09, 09:49 PM
Pergant? :lol:

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-16-09, 09:53 PM

i think you need more armor all...your dash isn't shiny enough yet.

sergtv
09-16-09, 10:37 PM
I work in a strip center and i sometimes see the same guy with an empty gas container asking for gas money.. i'll just stand by the door and see how many poeple actually give him cash.. crazy!

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-16-09, 11:14 PM
as much as we make fun of people doing this, people do it because it actually works. won't get rich from it, but honestly, if you're in at least a decent location during a good time, i figure you'd make close to minimum wage.

writer106
09-16-09, 11:39 PM
I went to a junior college in a small town for a year after high school. The junior college was 20 miles from my hometown. I used to see a group of 2 guys and girls in their 20's at the same intersections and stoplights asking for money for gas. They always had signs. I figured they were scamming people. One day in one of my classes the topic of beggars came up and several people and the instructor mentioned the group I kept seeing asking for money. One guy in the class worked at the local ski area said they scammed several tourists near the a bed and breakfast at the ski area. My instructor was a neighbor one of the girls' parents. He said that she was drug addict and she scammed several people in her neighborhood but her parents paid off the neighbors to keep them from reporting the scams to police.

Three years ago I worked at a grocery store and there were two brothers who used their mentally challenged cousin to scam money from people in the parking lot. The two brothers told their cousin to approach people and tell him he need bus fare money or money to buy food from the store. The scam worked many times for about a month until a man who was waiting for his wife in the car noticed the scam happening and reported it to our store manager. Our manager called the cops and the two brothers were arrested.

fujishig
09-17-09, 03:26 AM
as much as we make fun of people doing this, people do it because it actually works. won't get rich from it, but honestly, if you're in at least a decent location during a good time, i figure you'd make close to minimum wage.

I think you can make much more than minimum wage doing this.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-17-09, 10:07 AM
I think you can make much more than minimum wage doing this.

yeah i'm sure in some areas, you can get a lot more, but i'm just saying as a minimum, i'm sure they're making probably at least minimum wage.

calhoun07
09-17-09, 10:10 AM

Two panhandlers that frequented the area I used to work at once spilled the beans to one of the employees at the McDonald's across the street and bragged that they probably made more in a year doing what they did than the manager of the McDonald's. And McDonald's may be a chump job, but it doesn't pay chump change for their manager. They said the best time for them to go out is when it's raining...it's like money falling from the sky.

4KRG
09-17-09, 11:26 AM
Someone I know had a job inside Union Station in DC and every day he would pass the same 'bums' on his way into work, day after day after day. He started to talk to one of them after a while, making comments to him like I see you are here again today.

He asked the bum how much he usually pulled in (this was back 4-5 years when the economy was booming) and the guy said $50k-$60k per year TAX FREE.

Yes, some of them make a good living. I know the above sounds like urban legend or internet rumor, but I have no reason to doubt the person I know. There are some people that are truly homeless and needy and for others, it is just the job they choose to work :)

ElementZ
09-17-09, 04:03 PM
Jeez, so if the bums worked a regular 9-5 shift (5 days a week), they are raking in 26 bucks an hour tax free. Sign me up.

Anubis2005X
09-17-09, 04:25 PM
Jeez, so if the bums worked a regular 9-5 shift (5 days a week), they are raking in 26 bucks an hour tax free. Sign me up.

And they don't have to waste any money on rent. :rimshot:

Living Dead
09-17-09, 04:40 PM
Someone I know had a job inside Union Station in DC and every day he would pass the same 'bums' on his way into work, day after day after day. He started to talk to one of them after a while, making comments to him like I see you are here again today.

He asked the bum how much he usually pulled in (this was back 4-5 years when the economy was booming) and the guy said $50k-$60k per year TAX FREE.

Yes, some of them make a good living. I know the above sounds like urban legend or internet rumor, but I have no reason to doubt the person I know. There are some people that are truly homeless and needy and for others, it is just the job they choose to work :)

There's a bum that sits in front of a 7-11 near me with one of those "homeless, need help" signs. I stopped giving money to anyone long ago, but I pass him all the time so I recognize him. A few weeks ago I saw him wearing nice clothes a few blocks from the store as he got off a bicycle and and went into an apartment... clearly not homeless.

One of my buddies who works for the LAPD told me about a guy who used to beg at a mcdonalds near me. Several bums saw him walk a few blocks from his begging spot and get into a mercedes and drive away. The next day the beat the living shit out of him. Apparently this is not uncommon.

I'd say a good half of the people who beg on the street in LA do so simply because they're too lazy to work, not because they're incapable.

Double Down
09-17-09, 07:45 PM
I was approached just yesterday with a similar story.

Young girl about 20 came up to me in the parking lot of a Walgreens pharmacy. She was fairly well dressed and well spoken. She told me: "I'm not homeless or crazy or anything, but I really need some help. I'm trying to buy medicine for my grandmother. Do you have a couple bucks I can have? You can even go inside and buy the medicine rather than give me the money."

I live in Los Angeles and have people ask me for money constantly, so I typically say "sorry" and move on. I did so in this instance as well, but felt guilty once I went inside Walgreens and wondered if there was any possible chance she was telling the truth. I decided I'd actually give her a couple bucks when I went back outside, but she was gone.

It definitely has all the tell tale signs of a scam, but who knows?

Drexl
09-17-09, 08:22 PM
I was approached just yesterday with a similar story.

Young girl about 20 came up to me in the parking lot of a Walgreens pharmacy. She was fairly well dressed and well spoken. She told me: "I'm not homeless or crazy or anything, but I really need some help. I'm trying to buy medicine for my grandmother. Do you have a couple bucks I can have? You can even go inside and buy the medicine rather than give me the money."

I live in Los Angeles and have people ask me for money constantly, so I typically say "sorry" and move on. I did so in this instance as well, but felt guilty once I went inside Walgreens and wondered if there was any possible chance she was telling the truth. I decided I'd actually give her a couple bucks when I went back outside, but she was gone.

It definitely has all the tell tale signs of a scam, but who knows?

It would probably depend on what kind of medicine she wants. I bet she wanted Sudafed.

Double Down
09-17-09, 08:24 PM
It would probably depend on what kind of medicine she wants. I bet she wanted Sudafed.

Ah, good call. Never even occurred to me. You're probably right.

cungar
09-17-09, 09:33 PM
Well at least the lady that approached me on Century Blvd in El Segundo this afternoon was willing to give me something in return for $20.

Perkinsun Dzees
09-17-09, 11:19 PM
A bum approached me outside my workplace a couple of years ago.

He looked at my new shoes and said, "I bet I know where you got those shoes."

I said, "What?"

He said, "If I can tell you where you got those shoes, will you give me five bucks?"

I thought it over and said, "All right, sure."

He said, "You got those shoes on your feet."

So I gave him five bucks.

Nugent
09-17-09, 11:31 PM

I said, "What?"

He said, "If I can tell you where you got those shoes, will you give me five bucks?"

That one was rolling around the French Quarter in New Orleans 25 years ago.

big whoppa
09-18-09, 03:10 AM

I said, "What?"

Bad kid jokes for $5, Alex.

deluis
09-19-09, 03:25 AM
I have been asked so many times for money, that I can tell if someone who comes up to me is going to ask for money. I've become so use to it that even before a word comes out of the beggar mouth I just say no. They get really surprised and mad.

DaveCole
09-19-09, 05:33 AM
After gas hit $3 a gallon a few years ago, I bought a bike. One morning riding into work a very drunk individual (6am) asked if I had money because he ran out of gas. I told him that if I had any money I wouldn't be riding my bike everywhere.

lewisb73
09-19-09, 08:54 AM

I said, "What?"

Oh my... you actually fell for that... thats an old scam... I generally have it happen at least once in New Orleans per visit... as soon as they tell me nice shoes, I skip ahead to the finale... it shuts them up

I RARELY CARRY CASH... Im asked for money, I tell them I dont carry cash and I never get problems

RobLutter
09-20-09, 05:24 AM
I have a strict rule that the homeless person must A) be honest with me and B) do something entertaining to get some $$$$.

There's one homeless guy down on 6th Street every weekend who tells dirty jokes... I always give the guy 1-2 dollars and a cig when I see him.because he always makes me laugh.

foxdvd
09-20-09, 10:23 AM
My wife always carries small bags of nuts in her purse. You know, planters bags and Blue Diamond you can get for like 75 cents at a store. When she gets hit up she gives them out. She has them in her outside zipper, so it is easy to get, and does not open up her bag for theft. Not a bad idea, but for me it is not possible, since I have no place to put them. Most of them take them, but she has seen a few just drop them as they walk away.

nodeerforamonth
09-20-09, 10:30 AM

Worse are the assholes who will sit there in their car while the light is red, THEN when it turns green, THEN they start digging in their purse and wallet to put on a big show for the people in their cars behind them so that everyone knows that "they gave".

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-20-09, 10:46 AM
Well at least the lady that approached me on Century Blvd in El Segundo this afternoon was willing to give me something in return for $20.

was she hot? what kind of something was it? :eyebrow:

foxdvd
09-20-09, 10:53 AM
was she hot? what kind of something was it? :eyebrow:

She was not hot, but she had no teeth, so that is always a plus! Also, she took ECA 10% discount codes, so he got it for like 18 bucks...shipped!!!

RunBandoRun
09-20-09, 03:28 PM
My wife always carries small bags of nuts in her purse. You know, planters bags and Blue Diamond you can get for like 75 cents at a store. When she gets hit up she gives them out. She has them in her outside zipper, so it is easy to get, and does not open up her bag for theft. Not a bad idea, but for me it is not possible, since I have no place to put them. Most of them take them, but she has seen a few just drop them as they walk away.

I would never recommend offering a stranger your nuts. :D

I attend an urban church and lots of times we get people coming in on Sunday morning asking parishioners for money. When I worked in the church offices we had people coming in too. It's a no-win situation because if you help, you could get taken advantage of, but if you don't help, the church looks bad. :(

Speaking for just me, I would not let anyone in public get close enough to me to ask for money unless I were with someone else.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-20-09, 04:24 PM
She was not hot, but she had no teeth, so that is always a plus! Also, she took ECA 10% discount codes, so he got it for like 18 bucks...shipped!!!

hey, no teeth can be a very good thing, depending on the...ummm...services received.!

what's ECA?

NotThatGuy
09-20-09, 04:50 PM
I attend an urban church and lots of times we get people coming in on Sunday morning asking parishioners for money. When I worked in the church offices we had people coming in too. It's a no-win situation because if you help, you could get taken advantage of, but if you don't help, the church looks bad. :(

And that is not by coincidence.

foxdvd
09-20-09, 04:54 PM
hey, no teeth can be a very good thing, depending on the...ummm...services received.!

what's ECA?

http://www.theeca.com/

Members get 10% off all amazon game purchases...

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-21-09, 12:39 AM
http://www.theeca.com/

Members get 10% off all amazon game purchases...

oh, that's nice! didn't know that. of course, i rarely buy games...