John Stossel leaving ABC for Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.examiner.com/x-5468-NY-Me...x-News-Channel

John Stossel to host show on Fox Business Network; specials on Fox News Channel
September 10, 3:40 PMNY Media Examiner
Jerry Barmash

John Stossel, the award-winning journalist known for his work on ABC’s 20/20, has signed a multi-year deal to host his own weekly show on Fox Business Network. He will also make regular appearances on Fox News Channel.

A 19-time Emmy winner, Stossel will make daytime and primetime appearances on FNC, as well as host and produce a series of one-hour specials for the news network.

The new Fox Business program entitled “Stossel,” debuting later this year in prime time, will feature in-depth reports and discussions surrounding libertarian issues in the United States and worldwide. According to a statement released today by the network, Stossel and a team of experts will explore consumer-focused topics such as free-market economics, civil liberties, the business of health care, social security and free trade.

Fox Business Network Executive Vice President Kevin Magee in announcing Stossel’s arrival said, “[He] is one of the most talented and thought-provoking journalists in the field. …His insights on consumer-related issues are unparalleled and will be a natural compliment [sic] to our business programming.”

Stossel is also remembered for his work as WCBS-TV consumer reporter. He said in a statement, “I’m thrilled to join Fox News and look forward to inventing a new show for Fox Business.”

Stossel, a Peabody Award winner, was named a “20/20” co-anchor in 2003. He began with the newsmagazine, as a correspondent, in 1981.

Fox Business Network has been bolstering talent recently. Last week, they added Don Imus to the mix when the longtime radio host inked a deal to simulcast his morning show on their air.
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. There's certainly more prestige for being at ABC News than a cable news channel but Stossel will get a lot more air time and probably feel a lot less pressure and hostility from co-workers. He'll feel more at home but still, many at Fox won't be happy with his "social liberalism." On the other hand, maybe he'll be a force for influencing the more rabid Fox folks in those areas.

All in all, I think it will be interesting and I look forward to seeing more of one of the only libertarians (and probably the most prominent) working in major journalism today.
Old 09-10-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: John Stossel leaving ABC for Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network

Always been a huge mark for Stossel (Penn & Teller's BS! is a "cable" version of what he's been doing for years). Agee with him or not, you have to hand it to him for being willing to take on "well, everybody knows (insert pc dogma here)" issues. Like you, I hope this leads to more freedom and time to go beyond the limitations of old school network confines.
Old 09-10-09, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fits right in with Fox. Snobby obnoxious, thinks he knows everything, had an embarrassing moment prior to coming over. Perfect fit.
Old 09-10-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He's won 19 Emmy's? Geez!
Old 09-10-09, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite Stossel moment

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tbl92RqHVmk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tbl92RqHVmk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-10-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

what's stossel's embarrassing moment?
Old 09-10-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Nice.

It's a shame that he's leaving. I really liked him and the stories he reported on.
Old 09-10-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Nice.

It's a shame that he's leaving. I really liked him and the stories he reported on.
no. i'm totally serious. did something happen? i don't follow the news at all.
Old 09-10-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is only one embarrassing moment I can think of for Stossel, when he made a mistake for which he may or may have not been partially responsible. It was nine years ago. And let's put it into perspective.

http://www.acsh.org/healthissues/new...sue_detail.asp

Ed Bradley's Mountain vs. John Stossel's Molehill
By Elizabeth M. Whelan, Sc.D., M.P.H.
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2000
EDITORIAL

Last week on the ABC program 20/20, environmental and consumer reporter John Stossel offered a public apology to his viewers.

His transgression? He cited some ABC-generated statistics indicating that organically grown produce was no safer than conventionally grown varieties. Unfortunately for Mr. Stossel, the ABC statistics actually did not exist. But was this transgression anything more than an inconsequential misstatement? While any error by a reporter should be corrected, as Stossel's was, where did it fall in the range of media mistakes? One way to answer those questions is to compare the ABC Stossel incident with one 11 years ago involving CBS correspondent Ed Bradley of "60 Minutes" fame.

In February 1989, Ed Bradley and his colleagues at "60 Minutes" scared the wits out of American parents by telling them that children were at risk of developing cancer as a result of exposure to an agricultural chemical called Alar. Cameras transmitted frightening images of children in cancer wards. Self-appointed environmentalists from the Natural Resources Defense Council appeared to tell us that Alar was a "cancer causing agent" and that since children drank a considerable amount of apple juice for their size, the cancer risks of Alar were "intolerable." Panic ensued across the land. Schools discarded apple products. The apple industry, particularly in the northwestern portions of the United States, was devastated.

In the months and years following the "60 Minutes" Alar scare, scientists from around the world emerged to say that Alar, when used in its regulated approved form as it was in 1989, never posed a cancer or other health risk to children or adults. The World Health Organization, American Medical Association, American Council on Science and Health and the physician who was Surgeon General at the time of the Alar incident, Dr. C. Everett Koop, all went on record as saying that the CBS-inspired Alar-scare had no scientific basis whatsoever. At least one organization, the American Council on Science and Health, repeatedly appealed to "60 Minutes" producer Don Hewitt, and later to Ed Bradley himself, to correct the record and tell their viewers that they made a mistake. ACSH's most recent request for a CBS apology on Alar was transmitted in February of l999, on the l0th anniversary of the food-scare-of-the-decade. CBS has repeatedly refused to apologize for this groundless scare.

Contrast this incident with the ABC one which was in the news last week.

John Stossel did not have his own survey data on pesticide residues to support his claim that organic produce offers no health benefits over conventional food. It is regrettable that he reported he did have such data.

But the big picture here is this: Stossel's statements, unlike the CBS Alar claims, were scientifically correct. Ongoing FDA surveillance confirms that the vast majority (over 70%) of conventionally-produced fruits and vegetables have no measurable levels of pesticides, and where residue are detected they are almost always within the EPA's very conservative tolerance range. Studies by Consumers Union and others have also detected similar levels of very low level pesticide residues in organic food.

Many other studies have shown that organically-grown produce does indeed have a higher rate of bacterial contamination than conventionally-grown produce.

Thus, given that Stossel's conclusions were factual, no damage at all was done. If, as the organic industry claims, they did suffer loss of sales following the Stossel segment, that is only because consumers were relying on the factual reality that organic foods do NOT offer any health benefits. Yet media coverage critical of Stossel for what was basically a minor gaffe was substantial. And so Mr. Stossel apologized for his technical error.

Where is CBS's apology for promulgating completely false statements about the safety of apples? Ed Bradley and his colleagues have had 11 1/2 years to ponder the overwhelming evidence that their segment was based on bogus claims. We hope that a CBS apology is forthcoming. Better late than never.
And another nine years later Bradley still hasn't retracted a word of his bogus story nor has he apologized. Stossel was quick to correct his error as soon as he found out about it.
Old 09-10-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
And another nine years later Bradley still hasn't retracted a word of his bogus story nor has he apologized. Stossel was quick to correct his error as soon as he found out about it.
Ed Bradley's never gonna apologize for that shit.
Old 09-10-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The last 25 years?
Old 09-10-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MWB
I know. It does not reflect well on him but, of course, for Stossel, the MSM pilloried him and Bradley got a pass because he was factually dead wrong but politically correct.
Old 09-10-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know.
I don't think you do.
Old 09-10-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The last 25 years?
Ha, ha.

Funny thing, he got 19 Emmys when he promoted envirothink but when he realized he had been mostly (not completely) wrong and changed his perspective (and how many journalists can ever bring themselves to say they were wrong?) he ceased to win them. As long as the Hollywood crowd liked what he said they showered awards and praise on him. After, all of a sudden he must have lost all his reporting skill because the awards stopped. Apparently it wasn't how good a reporter he was but that he said the "right" things to "deserve" the awards.
Old 09-10-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MWB
I don't think you do.
What?

Edit: See Post #20.

Last edited by movielib; 09-10-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 10:47 PM
Banned

The video right above your post is what I am talking about.
Old 09-10-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

but the post was "embarrassing moment prior to coming over". that suggests something happened recently. i don't consider something that happened 20 years ago as "prior to coming over".
Old 09-10-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
well, not since he's dead.
Old 09-10-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
The video right above your post is what I am talking about.
The wrestler is an asshole and an idiot who attacked someone. How is that embarrassing for Stossel?

An embarrassing moment "'prior' to coming over"? It was in late 1984, almost 25 years ago. You made it sound like it was recent. And Stossel settled with the WWF for $425,000, according to Wiki. Some "embarrassment"!
Old 09-10-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tommyp007
well, not since he's dead.
Oh yeah, I forgot.
Old 09-10-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, never heard of Fox Business Network. That's a CNBC clone? Apparently, FBN just started in 2007.

I suppose he will fit in fine there.
Old 09-10-09, 11:08 PM
Banned

The wrestler is an asshole and an idiot who attacked someone. How is that embarrassing for Stossel?

An embarrassing moment "'prior' to coming over"? It was in late 1984, almost 25 years ago. You made it sound like it was recent. And Stossel settled with the WWF for $425,000, according to Wiki. Some "embarrassment"!
At the same time is was disrespectful the way he said wrestiling is fake. Stossel didn't ask, he said that it was fake, so he got what was coming to him. That way of reporting puts him at the same level as Geraldo and all the other idiots who instead of reporting, just create news. If he was a true reporter, he would have gone in a different route and done more background work before going and shooting off his mouth to someone who is trying to protect the wrestling business. And just because he got money out that situation doesn't mean that he was right or that he didn't suffer any embarrassment. He was lucky that he asked Shultz, not a guy like Bruiser Brody or Taz, who would have probably shoved the mic up Stossel's ass.
Old 09-10-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23
At the same time is was disrespectful the way he said wrestiling is fake. Stossel didn't ask, he said that it was fake, so he got what was coming to him. That way of reporting puts him at the same level as Geraldo and all the other idiots who instead of reporting, just create news. If he was a true reporter, he would have gone in a different route and done more background work before going and shooting off his mouth to someone who is trying to protect the wrestling business. And just because he got money out that situation doesn't mean that he was right or that he didn't suffer any embarrassment. He was lucky that he asked Shultz, not a guy like Bruiser Brody or Taz, who would have probably shoved the mic up Stossel's ass.
Right, that justifies hitting someone. Whatever.
Old 09-10-09, 11:47 PM
Banned

You sound like you belong to the John Stossel fan club. That's too bad.

Yeah 25 years ago yet it took 4 posts in for someone to post the video. You forgettable, huh?
The dude got slapped silly for saying something stupid to a man twice his size on camera. You can dance around that all you want but that's an embarassment.

It doesn't matter if it is 25 minutes ago or 25 years ago all you have to do is go to youtube and watch it or post it here like someone did and it will be one of the first things you think of when his name comes up. I remember him talking about it a few years ago.

An embarrassing moment "'prior' to coming over"?
Like I said he'll fit right in with the other pompous snobs that work at Fox and their great broadcasting pasts. There's Bill "we'll do it live" O'Reilly, Geraldo (do I even need to explain), Glenn Beck(see Geraldo).

Last edited by bootsy; 09-10-09 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

jesus. dude didn't deserve to be slapped not matter what he said. i'd hardly say something that was 25 years ago is still something on the minds of many people. i'd seen that clip before and i'd even forgot about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.