So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 6 Premiere -- Auditions 9/9/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-09-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

SYTYCD

It's back again! After less than a month off.

I believe the auditions start in Los Angeles tonight and thank god it's only 1 hour.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/572045845" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=37918479001&playerId=572045845&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="326" height="292" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 09-09-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 6 Premiere -- Auditions 9/9/09

Damn, I love this show but this just seems like it's too soon. Should have held it off until the Winter season.
Old 09-09-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Us Canadians are being bombarded - our Canadian version of SYTYCD started up a week after the season 5 finale and is going on right now (top 16 this week)... so it's getting to be a little much. I think season 6 will be great though, they really gave season 5 the short end of the stick when they knew they would be on in the fall...this is sort of a big deal for them so I felt like they were really holding back in the choreography department last season, saving it for now... hoping for the best.

Anyone else watching the Canadian version? I wasn't overly impressed with last season but this year has been amazing, easily better than s5 of U.S. - way better routines and some of them have been FILTHY Good stuff.
Old 09-09-09, 10:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a bit surprised by the total lack of hip hop in the episode. The auditions are usually where the hip hop dancers shine, before being whittled away in the choreography round.
Old 09-09-09, 10:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Anyone else watching the Canadian version? I wasn't overly impressed with last season but this year has been amazing, easily better than s5 of U.S. - way better routines and some of them have been FILTHY Good stuff.
Now that I know it's running I may have to seek it out. Does it have many of the same choreographers/judges as the US version? Other than Stacy Tookey, who I assume is going to be working both versions now seeing as she got her start on the Canadian edition but has also made a mark on the US edition.
Old 09-10-09, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I love this show as well, but I think it's way too soon for this to come back. I'm glad that they cut the episodes to only 1 hour and are only doing it once a week. 2 nights a week like the summer would have been brutal on my DVR.
Old 09-10-09, 09:16 AM

I hope Ryan wins. What a great guy and dancer.
Old 09-10-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm glad that they cut the episodes to only 1 hour and are only doing it once a week. 2 nights a week like the summer would have been brutal on my DVR.
The show will go to a 2hr format(Tuesday) with a 1hr results(Wednesday) according to the grid I'm looking at in issue of TV Guide.
Old 09-10-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
The show will go to a 2hr format(Tuesday) with a 1hr results(Wednesday) according to the grid I'm looking at in issue of TV Guide.
I knew it would eventually go back to the performance and results shows. I was referring to how the show was 2 hours auditions on Tuesday and 2 more hours on Wednesday over the summer. Once a week for the auditions is perfect.
Old 09-10-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
Now that I know it's running I may have to seek it out. Does it have many of the same choreographers/judges as the US version?
Yes it does. Mary has already guest judged. Jean Marc is a permanent judge and he and France have choreographed a number of routines. Others from US who have done Canada this season: Tony Meredith/Melanie, Lil C, Benji Schwimmer, Blake McGrath, Stacey like you mentioned and probably some others I'm forgetting. I think Mia is scheduled to be involved at some point too.

Here's one of the memorable/unique routines from last week when Dance Hall was featured for the first time (actual dancing starts at 2min mark)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXHTz1707g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXHTz1707g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-10-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Where's Goldberg74? Thought he would be all over this.
Old 09-10-09, 04:44 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Yeah... I usually am... but that's during the Summer when I have nothing to do (being a professor has it's perks).

Now that the semester has started... not so much.

But I will repent and get back on the wagon next week.
Old 09-10-09, 11:12 PM

It definitely feels wrong to watch SYTYCD one night, and then football the next. (We're usually a night behind on the Tivo Sitcom/Reality recordings, but football is always watched live.)

I love this show, but I worry that it won't be as exciting in the Fall, when we're checking out new shows and trying to keep up with old ones. We rarely vote, and since the show receives such little press, I can see them gathering for a while, unwatched.

I agree about Ryan. Such a joy to watch him perform. I hope does well this season.

Does anyone know if a dancer has been sent on to choreography (rather than directly to Vegas) and still gone on to be a part of the top 20? My husband wondered about that last night, but there wasn't really an easy way to find an answer. I was thinking that perhaps Hok or Dominic might have been sent to choreography because their style was perceived as limiting?
Old 09-11-09, 12:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

definitely does feel too soon. oh well may save up all the eps and watch em later